News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

The Anti-Antiseptic Breeze

Started by Recusant, April 12, 2018, 10:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

I can't claim to be prescient, but years ago I stopped bothering with public toilet "hand dryers" that blow air to supposedly provide a better alternative to paper towels. They just annoy me--mostly a waste of time in my opinion. If paper towels aren't available, I tend to dry my hands on my clothing and hair (which admittedly isn't an ideal alternative). I also try to avoid directly touching the door with my hands on the way out. This article gives me one more reason to skip those blowers.

"Study Shows Hand Dryers Spray Poop on You" | Nerdist

QuoteFor decades, hand dryers have been presented as an environmentally and hygienically friendly way to remove water and bacteria after washing hands with soap. But while it seems like a good idea in theory, hand dryers may actually increase the spread of bacteria on skin and clothing. Previous studies have come to similar conclusions, but the latest research may be enough to give even the most ardent hand dryer supporters reasons to avoid them.

Via Boing Boing, researchers at the University of Connecticut published a study which confirmed hand dryers draw in "potentially infectious microbes" and spread them when activated. Even the low-powered hand dryers used in the study were prone to gathering fecal material and bacteria from from the air and blasting them on unsuspecting users.

How does it happen? Even the cleanest public restrooms are rarely hygienic environments. But the biggest issue comes from flushing toilets without lids. The flushes often send fecal material in the air, which are subsequently sucked in and pushed out by the active hand dryers. It should be noted hand dryers with HEPA filters can cut down on the intake of harmful particles and other unwanted objects in the air. But it doesn't fully eliminate them.

Unfortunately, moist hands and skin are an ideal environment for bacteria to thrive, especially if the users don't realize what's happening. Many public restrooms don't even offer paper towels as an alternative, leaving the hand dryers the only option. It's almost enough to make us start carrying our own towels around.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

I still use the driers but always carry a little bottle of cleansing gel as well. It long ago occurred to me that the air those machines blew over my hands had to be laden with bugs. And I have seen some in sore need of gikter coeaning. Also, had everyone who used the door handle washed their hands? So after leaving "the convenience" I use the gel, especially if I am about to buy a lunchtime bagette.

(Then try not to get "obssesive cleaning disorder" because the gel bottle is now "dirty"!)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

When you go to a restaurant or pub, in spite of your clean hands they will become contaminated before your food arrives.  The filthiest item at your table is the menu that the server hands to you. The next most dangerous items are the salt and pepper shaker or the condiment container. Yuuck!

But imagine what kind of microvermin might be on the chair where your ass is planted. 

joeactor

Well...

Isn't this a cheery thread!

I've avoided the hand dryers for a while. Idiots rinse their hands without soap, then use the dryer.

I also wait until the menu is gone, then use a bit of Purel.

Many humans are completely unconscious about where their hands go (horror stories a-plenty!)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on April 14, 2018, 12:19:24 AM

But imagine what kind of microvermin might be on the chair where your ass is planted.

No. Nope. Nuh uh.

xSilverPhinx

Dave

^
But, surely, without the vast majority of those, the gut flora, you would die!

Recusant

Quote from: Dave on April 14, 2018, 06:22:53 AM
^

One could take the position that hand blow driers in public toilets are a good thing--recurrent fecal microbiota transplant therapy, free of charge.  :lol:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on April 14, 2018, 10:56:11 AM
^

One could take the position that hand blow driers in public toilets are a good thing--recurrent fecal microbiota transplant therapy, free of charge.  :lol:

Yeah, but one person's happy-friendly gut flora is another's serious diarrhea - or worse!

Bad Penny II

When you go to a restaurant or pub, in spite of your clean hands they will become contaminated before your food arrives.  The filthiest item at your table is the menu that the server hands to you. The next most dangerous items are the salt and pepper shaker or the condiment container. Yuuck!

Yes this could be a problem, that's why I only go to fancy restaurants that provide cutlery.

No don't, it's better if you don't.
OCD  will do you more harm.
If you must think:
Microvermin make me STRONG!
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

^

Yes, but I'd rather not think of them.  :unsure:

We're freaking ecosystems.

Dave

As marines are taught, 40% of what you dump is perfectly reusable protein!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on April 14, 2018, 03:20:55 PM
As marines are taught, 40% of what you dump is perfectly reusable protein!