News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

OEC and celestial objects

Started by gwyn428, January 16, 2009, 04:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwyn428

Genesis 1:5, 1:8, 1:13, 1:19, 1:23, 1:31 make it known that it is impossible to read the first book of the Torah from an Old Earth Creationist perspective. Each day of creation was a day according to what the ancient Israelite people considered a day, which is a period of evening to evening. In other areas of the Torah this idea of what constitutes a day can be found. From what I understand, an OECist interprets each day of creation to not literally be a 24 hour period, rather a period of 1000 or more years because "with God a day may be thousands or millions of years." The only problem is that the plain language of the Genesis verses noted above make it definite that each day of creation was certainly not longer than 24 hours. Therefore my conclusion is that OECism does not reconcile Science with the Bible; it just mixes Science with a very deviant reading of Genesis 1. YECism may be the only form of Creationism that can resonate with the Bible.

Genesis 1:14-17 actually say that God placed the sun, the moon, and the stars literally in the sky. The evidence though is massive that they are not literally in the sky. Right now the Creationists want their religious beliefs taught in school but in relation to Evolution of species and Creation of species. I guess that later on they will ask for the myth of Genesis 1:14-17 to be taught as an alternative to the idea that the sun, the moon, and the stars are not actually in the sky. Yes, let the students make up their minds after hearing both claims, the claims of reality and mythology. It would be so damn funny (and outright disturbing) to see new politicians like Sarah Palin saying "we want Genesis 1:14-17 taught along with the other thing in all public schools.. it's only fair!"

VanReal

I've actually heard that argument before many times.  A day to God is not the same as a day to man.  I suppose that is due to God floating around where?  I am just curious about the whole idea that God created everything and then disapears for what?  Why were things created?  I think we get so wrapped up in the argument about how man came to be and we never question the why....I know the typical theological answer would be that we poor lower beings can't understand the thinking of God, but I think it's a totally legitimate question.  Where is this God, where was God when he was creating everything?  Science at least attempts to answer the why along with the how. Is this even addressed in creationism?
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

Kyuuketsuki

To be honest the evidence that the universe is billions of years old is almost irrelevant because if the Christian god is so all-frakking powerful it could do it in micro-seconds and create an apparent evidence trail to support an older Earth ... quite why it might is beyond me but hey no one really expects logic from wingnuts do they?

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

SSY

Teaching science and comparing it to looney tunes would indeed do a great deal for the cause of atheism. Unfortunatley, the type of science teacher to take creationism seriously, can not be relied upon to give a decent account of evolution etc.

Religon and ignorance go hand in hand, this is true of its dogma and of its followers.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick