News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

"Faith" - Reason for believing.

Started by Kevin, January 13, 2009, 12:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSY

Your "faith" on the sun rising is based on evidence, such as your previous experiments and your knowledge of solar system dynamics. You have no reason to beleive the sun will do anything other than rise tomorrow, in fact it would take something very major for the sun not to rise. Thus, your beleif in the sun's rising is supported by evidence, not faith.

As to the Oxygen and brain functioning, again, evidence supported. You have a knowledge of biology, you may have even done experiments regarding this particular facet of our physiology. You have also seen people pass out from lack of oxygen. Again, this is not faith, as it is supported by evidence.

Faith would be beleiving in something without evidence, like beleiving in pixies, despite the fact there is no evidence for them, and no postulated way in which they could exist.

Faith is a poor platform from which to determine truth.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

athiest12

i have faith when what i'm suppose to beilive in makes sense

Cemetery

The idea of "faith" to me makes me think of someone with a big imagination.  I used to believe that unicorns existed... I had faith.  I imagined that they existed.  However, I think we all know that unicorns don't exist on this planet...certainly no one can prove it.  Therefore, I could continue living in my dream world & believe in unicorns or I could see the reality that unicorns do not exist & move on with life from there.

I also get the feeling that those who believe in any religion are weak, needy ppl who honestly think that begging some invisible made-up deity to help them out or not allow bad things to happen to them will help them.  It is far more difficult to live without expectation & rely on our intellect to make it through life.  

Anyway, there's my opinion.   :hide:

~C

katjo

"Faith" is what you have when your beliefs are not supported by evidence.