Please can we have a little more avatar space?

Started by Tank, June 19, 2010, 03:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Would it be possible to go to 130x130 and 50k? I have a bunch of avatars that I have created which I could donate to the standard avatars list.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

elliebean

[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Thumpalumpacus

It was an unpleasant surprise to find that only 80x80 was allotted here.  I had to use a resizer for the first time in months.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

pinkocommie

80 x 80 is pretty small, but I just assumed it was set up that way to save space or something.  Whiiiich probably shows just how uninformed I am about how the magical internetz works.   :blush:
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Tank

Quote from: "pinkocommie"80 x 80 is pretty small, but I just assumed it was set up that way to save space or something.  Whiiiich probably shows just how uninformed I am about how the magical internetz works.   :blush:
I would suspect that, or it may be that is the default size and nobody has gotten around to changing it. Whitney can check how much server space the avatars take up. The worst case is 2000 x 15k = 30meg the suggestion would make this 2,000 x 50k = 100meg. However as 1800 members aren't active I would contend we would only see a worst case increase of 200 x 35k (diff between old and new) = 7meg which is bugger all I would think vs the entire site. The other major site memory user are uploaded images and files which I would suspect account for a much higher fraction than avatars.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

pinkocommie

That makes sense.  I guess I just want to make sure Whitney doesn't feel like we are asking her to do even more, considering she pays and runs the site on her own.  But if it wouldn't cost her anything or be a pain in the ass to do, I'm all for it.  :D  I've never dealt with running a forum personally, so I have no idea about these kinds of things.

Tank

Quote from: "pinkocommie"That makes sense.  I guess I just want to make sure Whitney doesn't feel like we are asking her to do even more, considering she pays and runs the site on her own.  But if it wouldn't cost her anything or be a pain in the ass to do, I'm all for it.  :D  I've never dealt with running a forum personally, so I have no idea about these kinds of things.
In terms of work it's a quick trip to the Administration Control Panel (ACP) and changing 3 parameters and it's done. I wouldn't want to cost Whitney $0.01 more so that's the real consideration and I don't know enough about the hosting arrangements to comment. The other thing is that Whitney would not want bigger avatars and that's her choice. I wanted a bit more simply because I would like to contribute a few avatars that I made for RDF and they don't fit here and most of them would if the parameters were adjusted to those I have suggested.

pinkocommie

Another solution would be for you to resize your avatars.  Davin posted a link to a freeware program that does this easily, and it's not even something that requires a download:

http://www.pixlr.com/editor/

I use that program almost exclusively now when I need to quickly resize an image.

Tank

Quote from: "pinkocommie"Another solution would be for you to resize your avatars.  Davin posted a link to a freeware program that does this easily, and it's not even something that requires a download:

http://www.pixlr.com/editor/

I use that program almost exclusively now when I need to quickly resize an image.
No time to study that ATM but bookmarked for later, looks interesting!

Tank

Whitney

Quote from: "Tank"Would it be possible to go to 130x130 and 50k? I

Done

Tank

Quote from: "Whitney"

Done
Thank you!!!!

Tank

Whitney, feel free to add these images to the standard avatars of the site  :D

I've got a bunch more that I'll dig out.

Thumpalumpacus

Illegitimi non carborundum.

KDbeads

Quote from: "Whitney"

Done

:yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams