News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 31, 2016, 07:25:08 PM
No problem, Mags!  ;D

The reason I am grumpy is that one of my students is getting deported next week.
Suppose I should mention that my Mother roped me back into the local marching band (she is the conductor) by making me the drum instructor for the new kids.
One of them has been a young man named Behram, an asylum seeker from Afghanistan, whom I was teaching to play the bass drum in preparation for the May 17th parade.
The government, in their infinite wisdom  ::), have concluded that he is probably not 17 years old like it says in his papers, and therefore he is not eligible to remain in the country. They will probably deport him over the weekend or sometime next week.
So in summary: One young man who has thought himself Norwegian and integrated himself into the local community, and is quite possibly still a minor, is apparently not the sort of person we can let stay in the country.

Is he all alone, or does he have family here/there? Terrible situation either way
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Guardian85

Quote from: Firebird on April 01, 2016, 06:11:08 PM
Is he all alone, or does he have family here/there? Terrible situation either way
He has no family left. One of the reasons he started in the marching band was to make friends here.
It looks like he'll be sent to Italy first. From there we don't know what happens. He might be able to apply again there, or he might be sent back to Afghanistan.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Buddy

That is so sad. I wish there was something we could do to help.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Magdalena

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, asthma is a bitch. :headshake:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on April 02, 2016, 07:21:29 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, asthma is a bitch. :headshake:

Sorry Sister Magdalena, asthma is a bitch. Hope you feel better soon. :therethere: :therethere:

To quote from one of my favorite books, 'Sucks to your assmar!' (Meaning, the heck with it)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Buddy

Getting bronchitis with chest pain and unrelated cramps so bad I can hardly stand but the old bat I work for is still making me cone in because heaven forbid she feed her own horses.

Edit- apparently the reason she is making me come in is so she doesn't miss church.

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Firebird

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 03, 2016, 12:37:35 PM
Getting bronchitis with chest pain and unrelated cramps so bad I can hardly stand but the old bat I work for is still making me cone in because heaven forbid she feed her own horses.

Edit- apparently the reason she is making me come in is so she doesn't miss church.

Bronchitis? Screw that, you need to rest.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Guardian85

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 03, 2016, 12:37:35 PM

As he is not here to tell you himself, I will pass on the ancient wisdom of the Old Git:
Hot whisky and lemon.... and then a nap.  ;D

Hope you feel better soon.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Magdalena

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on April 02, 2016, 08:11:01 PM
Sorry Sister Magdalena, asthma is a bitch. Hope you feel better soon. :therethere: :therethere:
You're so sweet, Sir Bruno de la Pole:hug:
I don't care what they say... :snooty:
...you've earned the, Sir:smilenod:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Velma

So today, the first post on my RA support group forum started with, "Today I start my homeopathic treatment..." One of the first comments was from a woman who is stopping her conventional treatment and "starting Tumeric, Magnesium, B Complex" as her only treatments.  :picard facepalm:  I would say something, but then I'd get kicked off the forum for not showing support for their treatment decisions.  :eyeroll:
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Essie Mae

What sort of forum is it that has its members under such control that they can only say things which are in agreement with those who run it? It doesn't sound too healthy to me.  Do you get a lot of support from it in other ways Velma?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Velma

Quote from: Essie Mae on April 04, 2016, 09:31:44 PM
What sort of forum is it that has its members under such control that they can only say things which are in agreement with those who run it? It doesn't sound too healthy to me.  Do you get a lot of support from it in other ways Velma?
It's not that you have to agree with those who run it, you just can't judge the treatment choices others have made. I can understand that. RA is an terrible illness and the medications can have some awful side effects. However, when you have people forsaking proven medical treatments for quack remedies, it is difficult not to point that out. The forum staff is great about keeping those who promote and sell such treatments off the forum, but if someone decides to go that route you aren't supposed to criticize since it is their decision to make.

I do get support from it. Most people think RA is just a slightly worse form of the osteoarthritis (wear-and-tear arthritis) that most people get as they age. It helps to talk to others who understand and also struggle, not just with the pain, but with the fatigue, the brain fog, the affects on other systems in your body, the drug side effects, etc... I suppose putting up with those who choose woo over sound medicine are part of price of admission.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Firebird

Magdalena

Quote from: Firebird on April 05, 2016, 05:03:20 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 05, 2016, 10:22:50 AM
Insomnia.  :(

How bad? I was up till 4 am a few nights ago
Insomnia sucks. I have insomnia every single night.  :(

But you know what/who makes me grumpy?
Trump.

Please excuse my language, but what the fuck is wrong with this motherfucker!?  :lynch: