News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Archie

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, May 08, 2019, 05:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 09, 2019, 10:54:37 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 09, 2019, 08:35:16 PM
Quote from: Sandra Craft on May 09, 2019, 06:23:18 PM
Quote from: Essie Mae on May 09, 2019, 05:59:38 PM
Curtsying would be something I don't think I could do . . .

Question:  what if you literally can't curtsy, if your knees just can't bend enough to keep you from doing a faceplant -- which I'm sure nobody wants, including the Queen.  There must be some alternative in place.

You don't do it. If you have told somebody before then the Queen will know. And if you haven't told them she won't bat an eye. QEII does not do public hissy fits.

True, she always looks dignified, even when people break protocol such as Trump when he walked in front of her.

While I detest Trump the POTUS is one of the few people who can legitimately ignore royal protocols if they so wish. However only an ill mannered one would do so. Except when it comes to bowing, but then I wouldn't bow to her either :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Sandra Craft on May 10, 2019, 03:44:20 AM

Question:  what if you literally can't curtsy, if your knees just can't bend enough to keep you from doing a faceplant -- which I'm sure nobody wants, including the Queen.  There must be some alternative in place.

You don't do it. If you have told somebody before then the Queen will know. And if you haven't told them she won't bat an eye. QEII does not do public hissy fits.

And I admire her for that, but I was thinking there must be some alternative -- a gesture of some sort a non-knelling person could make.  Not a salute (the military probably own that) but something of that nature.  Or perhaps a deep inclination of the head?

I suspect if one explained their circumstances before the event a courtier would know if there were one.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ecurb Noselrub

As an admitted Anglophile and Yankee Royalist, I would just like to meet them.  I hope Prince Philip (the weir wolf of London) makes it to 100.  I hope Her Majesty does, too.  I hope William takes over soon.  I hope Kate gets even prettier. I hope Marry (Meghan and Harry) flourish.  Long live the Royals!

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 11, 2019, 02:17:13 AM
As an admitted Anglophile and Yankee Royalist, I would just like to meet them.  I hope Prince Philip (the weir wolf of London) makes it to 100.  I hope Her Majesty does, too.  I hope William takes over soon.  I hope Kate gets even prettier. I hope Marry (Meghan and Harry) flourish.  Long live the Royals!

Our royalty are like your grandchildren. You don't have to put up with them all the time and you get to give them back when they misbehave!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on May 11, 2019, 09:19:17 AM

Our royalty are like your grandchildren. You don't have to put up with them all the time and you get to give them back when they misbehave!

:snicker:

But do they get to spoil your royals too? :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on May 11, 2019, 09:19:17 AM

Which is not a bad deal.  Put up with them - England would never be the same without them.  They anchor you to 1000 years of history.  That's worth something.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on May 10, 2019, 05:25:18 AM
Quote from: Sandra Craft on May 10, 2019, 03:44:20 AM

And I admire her for that, but I was thinking there must be some alternative -- a gesture of some sort a non-knelling person could make.  Not a salute (the military probably own that) but something of that nature.  Or perhaps a deep inclination of the head?
A deep inclination of the head?  :notsure:

Mr Bean Headbuts The Queen

:rofl:

(I would have thought that was from Black Adder if you hadn't mentioned Mr Bean...)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey