News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Hello Everybody

Started by silviakjell, July 27, 2006, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silviakjell

Hello everyone. I've been through some topics on this forum and i see that most of the people here are well mannered. Unfortunately, i guess most of you are pretty old too. I'm actually only 13 so i find some of your conversations hard to follow, what with quantum physics and all that. However, i beleive that i can still contribute to the conversation.

eeew, do i sound too formal? :)
I might be wrong, but Im pretty sure Im right.

McQ

Quote from: "silviakjell"
Hello everyone. I've been through some topics on this forum and i see that most of the people here are well mannered. Unfortunately, i guess most of you are pretty old too. I'm actually only 13 so i find some of your conversations hard to follow, what with quantum physics and all that. However, i beleive that i can still contribute to the conversation.

eeew, do i sound too formal? :)

Nope, you don't sound too formal. But speak up, I can't hear you, sonny! Bring me my cane and Geritol! And don't mess up the slipcovers on my furniture!
(old.....hmph!) Little pissant! LOL!

Welcome anyway, you little whippersnapper.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Asmodean Prime

Hello, silviakjell

I'm old I suppose, 42.

A coffin-dodger, you might even say.  

I am also a Christian, which might put you off, I don't know.  I just enjoy debating on this forum, anyway.

By the way, what does your name actually mean?  I've already asked this question of other people on this forum.

MommaSquid

Welcome to the forum, Silviakjell.

Does your mommy know you talk to atheists?   :)

There are a few topics here that may go over your head, but don't be afraid to jump in and ask questions.  We were all 13 at one time (a long, long, long, long, long time ago).

I need my Aspercreme.

Asmodean Prime

Not so long ago, mommasquid

you're letting the oldies down by saying such things

Whitney

Hi silviakjell, welcome to the forum.  I'm not really that old, but to you I may be...I remember at 13 I thought anyone in their 20s was old.  Anyway, I've met a lot of people your age that have been able to contribute quite a bit to discussions.

silviakjell

:oops: umm, sorry, i didn't mean old in that way...

Laetusatheos, you run this site very well. Can you somehow teach me the basic fundamentals of making a web page?

Hey Onlyme. You being a Christian doesn't put me off at all. just another person to debate with :) My name... it's actually not Silvia, that's just my username for most RPG. My real name is Sharon. Well, in Chinese my name sounds like Snowman, although it isn't actually written that way. On a search on the Internet, i guess my name means... beautiful prinncess? :oops: I didn't name myself! blame my grandparents for such an un-modest name!

Hello MommaSquid. I'm an atheist anyway but my mom is starting to get influenced by some of her Christian friends. (help!:D)She doesn't know I'm on this forum because I'm visiting China for the summer vacation. China... I'll post something on China later, this post is getting too long.

McQ, I'm coming! I've got your cane, but i can't find the Geritol!---(what's geritol?)

Tom62

Hi silviakjell,

Welcome to the forum. I'm an old geezer too  :P , but that doesn't bother me because I'm still young at heart. I've been once on vacation in China and I really, really  loved it. I truly agree with the Chinese people when they say "You are not a real (wo)man, unless you have climbed the Chinese Wall".
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Whitney

Quote from: "silviakjell"Laetusatheos, you run this site very well. Can you somehow teach me the basic fundamentals of making a web page?

Thanks.

I learned everything I know about webpages (which isn't really that much) from looking at tutorials on the internet.  This particular site is based off of the portal/forum script which can be downloaded at http://www.phpbb2.de/.  I just changed a few things in what is called the css file in order to give the site a custom look (still not quite done with changing everything).  It's actually not that hard to install and customize, but was a little confusing when I first tried working with php (the type of script) a few months ago.

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/ is a pretty good site for finding out how to do things.  http://www.w3schools.com/html/ will take you through pretty much step by step.  I also learned how to do some things by right clicking on a website I liked then looking at the page source.

If you can get a hold of a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) web design program...I use Microsoft FrontPage since I get it free from school but Dreamweaver by Adobe, I've heard, is better...I think, they are the best for beginners rather than having to screw around with code in wordpad then publishing it to make sure everything turned out right.  But, I use wordpad for everything on this site, WYSIWYG editors don't work for php (at least FrontPage doesn't...maybe there is one that does).

If you want to start learning how to do web pages, I'd suggest looking at some of those tutorials and also get a free host...something simple like geocities is what I started with, there are also other free hosts out there which are closer to what you'd be working with when using a paid host.  If you'd like to go ahead and have a domain name, godaddy offers free ad-based hosting with domain purchase...that's what I'm doing with http://www.laetusatheos.com (I haven't worked much on that site yet, it's just a script I downloaded from somewhere)

Let me know if you have any questions...I'll do my best to answer.

silviakjell

Wow, thanks. I'll check out those sites now. Some questions- how do you program things on Wordpad? I thought it was just an older version of a Microsoft Word-like program. Do you know much about computer programming? and what does that little picture next to your name- the one that's like a circle with a 3 pronged something in it- stand for?

Squid

I've got a few links that may help you out too:

http://www.atheistcoalition.com/designresources.htm

http://www.atheistcoalition.com/tutorials.htm

When I first started, I utilized a simple WYSIWIG HTML editor called Web Dwarf (you can download it from download.com) - it served all my purposes just fine for a beginner.

Welcome to the forums btw.

Whitney

Quote from: "silviakjell"Wow, thanks. I'll check out those sites now. Some questions- how do you program things on Wordpad? I thought it was just an older version of a Microsoft Word-like program. Do you know much about computer programming? and what does that little picture next to your name- the one that's like a circle with a 3 pronged something in it- stand for?

Working with wordpad is the same thing you'd do when placing html code etc into WYSIWYG editor, only wordpad won't display the visible outcome of the code.  When working with php, a lot of the files I change aren't compatible with a WYSIWYG editor...that's why I just alter them in note/wordpad (Word would work too...but I don't want it to be spell checking everything).

I don't know anything about computer programming.

The image is the invisible pink unicorn symbol  http://www.invisiblepinkunicorn.com

silviakjell

Ah, pink unicorn symbol. hehe, weird.

Thanks Squid. and what's that green monster thing doing? Is it displaying my IP address or your's?

Whitney

It's displaying your IP.

silviakjell

Ah. Whats that little comment on the bottom mean, "there is no spoon" ?