News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

The Pursuit of Happiness

Started by Hollownucleus, April 01, 2009, 09:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollownucleus

Hello everyone,
          I have been browsing the forum for a couple weeks and really like the attitudes and personalities I have seen so far so I joined up.

I live in Tampa Florida.

I am a fairly new Atheist. I was brought up in a Christian home and have frequented church most of my life.Two years ago I started getting more involved in church and became the leader of the youth Sunday school class. After a months of trying to teach kids the bible and having to find excuses to why god decided to kill thousands of seemingly innocent people each week I got tired.  I have always found myself making excuses for Christianity and frankly just couldn't do it anymore. One day I was taking a shower and realized that I was just playing the game, going through the motions of Christianity without actually believing it. It was pretty painful to realize that and it really made me depressed for a while.

I decided to just make a clean break. I emailed my pastor and explained everything I was going through. He of course tried to convince me otherwise but I had made up my mind. I stopped going to church and eventually had to tell my family why I wasn't going. That was a classic moment, my mom was crying, my dad was angry and my brother was trying to argue with me but I got my points across and felt relieved to get it off my chest.

It has been a year since I made that decision and now I am more happy than ever. I really can't explain what it is like to not have to fake it anymore.
I am looking forward to spending time here with other people that share my point of view and learning more about myself.

Ihateyoumike

Welcome to the forum, Hollownucleus. Thanks for the nice introduction. :)
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

joeactor

Wow - I can hear the stress and strain in your story... must have been a real relief!

Nice to meet you.

Hope to have some interesting discussions on the forum,
JoeActor

Will

It's amazing to see different people from different backgrounds making the same journey.

Welcome.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

Hi Hollow, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story.

Recusant

Welcome, Hollownucleus!  I think you picked an auspicious day to join HAF.  :banna:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Twiddler

Welcome to the forum Hollow, I'm sure you'll be happy here as many of us have had a story like yours in one way or another.

curiosityandthecat

Wonderful, wonderful.

Funny, when I first saw your name I thought it said Homunculus. Love that word.

Welcome.
-Curio

rlrose328

Hey Hollownucleus... It does feel good to not fake it anymore, I know what you mean.  Congrats on making that step and not trying to make yourself believe.  I'm sure are thousands of people who are doing just that.

And welcome to the forum!   :D
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

SallyMutant

Good point, Recusant/Menckin! Hidy, Hollownucleus!

:D
There's nothing wrong with ambivalence--is there?