News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

How Do You Relieve Stress?

Started by xSilverPhinx, February 04, 2017, 12:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonia

Oh, i always loved Bob Ross. It's his voice. It does fill me with a sweet, old-fashioned peace. The feeling of childhood Saturday afternoons, warm and sunny with dust floating around in the air.....
And Mr. B, I must thank you for posting this video, I played it and my kids watched in fascination as the painting came to life.  They kept laughing and exclaiming how they could TOTALLY do this! We may have a new thing started around my house.  ;D
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Mr. B

Yup, we introduced our kids to him last week. They loved it.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Recusant

I preferred the artist who originally taught the technique, Bill Alexander. While some may find Ross to be calming, I always thought there was an element of unintentional humor in Alexander's shows.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: solidsquid on February 05, 2017, 03:30:31 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 05, 2017, 12:35:13 PM
Quote from: solidsquid on February 04, 2017, 09:21:55 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 04, 2017, 12:40:09 AM
I'd like to know other people's strategies for relieving stress. Do you exercise? Meditate?  Let it build up inside until you have a full blown meltdown?

I tend to burn out, and it doesn't take much to reach that state these days. It becomes harder to get things done, which only feeds into the cycle.

My advisor has squishy brain shaped toys in his office. I saw those things and felt this incredible urge to get a couple for myself. Since I'm practically always fidgeting with something (one hand on the mouse and another twirling a pen or something while I'm reading), those squishy things look very tempting. :grin: Voodoo dolls would be a close second.

Does anyone know of some interesting ways to de-stress that don't require huge amounts of motivation? What do you do?

I have a gift for you.  I've been working for a while now (still working on it actually, slowly but surely) to start up a consulting business with a focus on occupational health psychology and performance improvement.  One of the services I plan on offering is a workshop on stress management.  As part of the workshop I put together a companion booklet.  Hopefully, it has some good information in it you can use:

Stress Prevention & Mitigation

Thank you Squid! I will definitely read that. :smilenod:

You're quite welcome!  8)

I like your booklet, especially the part on stress prevention (which is probably where I have the most problems).  :thumbsup: Now I just need to put some of it into practice! :smilenod:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I don't know, I just can't help feeling frustrated after watching part of those painting videos!  :twitch:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

solidsquid

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 08, 2017, 10:28:35 PM
Quote from: solidsquid on February 05, 2017, 03:30:31 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 05, 2017, 12:35:13 PM
Quote from: solidsquid on February 04, 2017, 09:21:55 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 04, 2017, 12:40:09 AM
I'd like to know other people's strategies for relieving stress. Do you exercise? Meditate?  Let it build up inside until you have a full blown meltdown?

I tend to burn out, and it doesn't take much to reach that state these days. It becomes harder to get things done, which only feeds into the cycle.

My advisor has squishy brain shaped toys in his office. I saw those things and felt this incredible urge to get a couple for myself. Since I'm practically always fidgeting with something (one hand on the mouse and another twirling a pen or something while I'm reading), those squishy things look very tempting. :grin: Voodoo dolls would be a close second.

Does anyone know of some interesting ways to de-stress that don't require huge amounts of motivation? What do you do?

I have a gift for you.  I've been working for a while now (still working on it actually, slowly but surely) to start up a consulting business with a focus on occupational health psychology and performance improvement.  One of the services I plan on offering is a workshop on stress management.  As part of the workshop I put together a companion booklet.  Hopefully, it has some good information in it you can use:

Stress Prevention & Mitigation

Thank you Squid! I will definitely read that. :smilenod:

You're quite welcome!  8)

I like your booklet, especially the part on stress prevention (which is probably where I have the most problems).  :thumbsup: Now I just need to put some of it into practice! :smilenod:

I'm glad you found it useful  :thumbsup: