News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Fun Science Videos

Started by Sandra Craft, December 01, 2015, 06:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

^^That makes our pale blue dot rather insignificant, doesn't it?

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

joeactor

I want to be a rat tickler for my next job.

xSilverPhinx

Dave

Remember this from way back.

They call it tickling but it looks more like the sort of thing I do to dogs and cats, rub with my finger tips just in front of the base of their tail. Two theories, one it is a place they cannot scratch easily themselves, so appreciate another providing a service - two (especially in females) it is an "erogenous zone", a place that gets stimulated during intercourse, cats, male and female, with often raise their tsil vertically when uou do this (though the female lays her tail to one side when she "offers" herself). In cats it is also the area where one of their scent glands resides, the "This is my property" one that they rub on chair stringers etc as they pass under them. Forehead and cheek glands are reserved for family (cat and human) and other especially loved items.

I have seen that latter offered as an explanation for why cats and dogs often like the area between their front legs, or their chest, rubbed - in the males this is also a mutual contact area during dominance behaviour and intercourse.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on April 14, 2018, 06:46:17 AM

They call it tickling but it looks more like the sort of thing I do to dogs and cats, rub with my finger tips just in front of the base of their tail. Two theories, one it is a place they cannot scratch easily themselves, so appreciate another providing a service - two (especially in females) it is an "erogenous zone", a place that gets stimulated during intercourse, cats, male and female, with often raise their tsil vertically when uou do this (though the female lays her tail to one side when she "offers" herself). In cats it is also the area where one of their scent glands resides, the "This is my property" one that they rub on chair stringers etc as they pass under them. Forehead and cheek glands are reserved for family (cat and human) and other especially loved items.

I have seen that latter offered as an explanation for why cats and dogs often like the area between their front legs, or their chest, rubbed - in the males this is also a mutual contact area during dominance behaviour and intercourse.

That's interesting, didn't know that.

Tickling is a mystery to me. They say it's probably an associated result of sensation caused by two types of different receptors: touch (pressure) and pain. I don't know if this is true, but it really is an odd sensation if you think about it. Why feel ticklish in the first place and why scratch the spot (cause a little pain) to "override" the feeling? Why does too much tickling become uncomfortable or even painful? :notsure:   

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 14, 2018, 03:36:25 PM
Quote from: Dave on April 14, 2018, 06:46:17 AM

That's interesting, didn't know that.

Tickling is a mystery to me. They say it's probably an associated result of sensation caused by two types of different receptors: touch (pressure) and pain. I don't know if this is true, but it really is an odd sensation if you think about it. Why feel ticklish in the first place and why scratch the spot (cause a little pain) to "override" the feeling? Why does too much tickling become uncomfortable or even painful? :notsure:

Though a tickle and an itch are different things have you ever "slap-scrathed" a sudden itch? This is possibly an ancient reaction to splatt the blood sucker that has dug into you then scratch it off the skin. Scratching may also help squeeze out any toxins. Since tickling is often a part of erotic play do we react, even as small children, to such things in a happy-squirmy was if we trust the tickler? Tickling from a non-trusted person is offensive.

When talking about pain to a consultant we came to the agreement that an itch was a "grade 1" pain and that my heart attack was "grade10" for me. Later I found "grade 12"  when I had my fistula!

Dave

Not a video - though it will be on the BBC TV iPlayer . . .

Special 100th edition of The Infinite Monkey Cage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b92x8p

joeactor

Quote from: Dave on July 11, 2018, 10:03:30 AM

Listening now... Funny.

Did you notice the volume goes to 11?

Dave

Quote from: joeactor on July 12, 2018, 08:16:24 PM

Listening now... Funny.

I heard it on-air.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Dave on July 12, 2018, 08:32:16 PM
Quote from: joeactor on July 12, 2018, 08:16:24 PM

Listening now... Funny.

I heard it on-air.
Thanks for reminding me of that Dave. I'll binge listen when I get home.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Caliasseia

By way of a change, a chemistry video ... say hello to the Briggs-Rauscher Oscillating Colour Reaction ...

Bad ideas exist to be destroyed ...

joeactor

Quote from: Caliasseia on March 29, 2019, 04:15:25 AM
By way of a change, a chemistry video ... say hello to the Briggs-Rauscher Oscillating Colour Reaction ...

Cool - had to look that one up...

Caliasseia

There are several variations on the theme, but they all use transition metal ions in solution, combined with iodine. Sometimes the odd lanthanide is thrown in for good measure.

Pick your transition and/or lanthanide metal ions with care, and you can generate a "traffic light" reaction, cycling between red, yellow and green. One variation I've seen uses Fe2+ and Ce3+ ions and switches between four colours.
Bad ideas exist to be destroyed ...

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Caliasseia on March 29, 2019, 04:15:25 AM

Nice, but what is the explanation for why it changes colors through oscillation?