News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Discussão em português

Started by Tank, May 06, 2019, 01:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I can see I have a lot of practice ahead of me.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Magdalena

Me da mucha verguenza decir que no se ni una sola palabra en Portugues.
Wait, does knowing the words, Bossa Nova count as knowing a Portuguese word, or two? Yes?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on May 07, 2019, 03:53:38 AM
Wait, does knowing the words, Bossa Nova count as knowing a Portuguese word, or two? Yes?

I guess it does. :notsure:

:grin:

Spanish and Portuguese are cousins. Mas me dá muita vergonha dizer que não sei muitas palavras em espanhol even though Brazil is surrounded by Spanish-speaking countries.   :-[
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 07, 2019, 01:05:37 AM
I can see I have a lot of practice ahead of me.

Nonsense. You'll be reading The Lusiads before you know it! :P

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 07, 2019, 04:11:46 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on May 07, 2019, 03:53:38 AM

I guess it does. :notsure:

:grin:

Spanish and Portuguese are cousins. Mas me dá muita vergonha dizer que não sei muitas palavras em espanhol even though Brazil is surrounded by Spanish-speaking countries.   :-[
One language at a time... :therethere:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on May 07, 2019, 04:28:24 AM
One language at a time... :therethere:

:sad sigh:

jumbojak

I now have a few grammar books and dictionaries on the way but I'm starting to recognize the patterns. Eu escrevo leite but Você bebe agua. Or sugar water masquerading as tea. Whatever floats your boat and wags your tail...

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

:grin: You look motivated to learn. :tellmemore:

Do you speak any other languages other than English, even if partially?

jumbojak

Not really. I took Spanish and tried learning Russian at one point but never stuck with it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 07, 2019, 04:12:50 PM
Not really. I took Spanish and tried learning Russian at one point but never stuck with it.

If you took Spanish then Portuguese won't be too difficult because they're very similar...but they might interfere with each other in your mind because they're so similar. 

jumbojak

I'm not too worried about it. I slept a lot in Spanish class so it never really stuck!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 07, 2019, 04:20:39 PM
I'm not too worried about it. I slept a lot in Spanish class so it never really stuck!

Heh, yeeeah...me too. :felix:

Damn afternoon classes.

jumbojak

Mine were morning classes. I just didn't give a damn! This is fun though.

Question, how important are the accent marks? Would a native speaker be able to discern meaning and intent, and be willing to overlook the errors of a foreigner, or should I really drill that early? I'd like to become proficient enough for casual conversation as quickly as possible but don't want to stunt myself if that will be crucial later on.

xSilverPhinx

It depends on the words. Some words mean something else entirely if you omit the accents or put them in the wrong place. For instance, coco (stress is on the first'o') and cocô (stress is on the second 'o'). The first is the coconut fruit and the second is, welp, poop. Another example: é (is) and e (and). In internet speak it's common for people to write eh instead of é because...I have no idea.

But in general, people will be able to tell from the context what you're trying to say. :smilenod: It's gotten easier though...in 2009 a lot of accents were simply done away with. :grin:

jumbojak

Yes, I don't want to accidentally refer to any fecal fruits so I'll drill the accents. You know what they say - drillers are killers.