News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Bad Films

Started by Tank, August 29, 2018, 08:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I have just been subjected to 'Mother' with Jennifer Lawrence.

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT WATCHING THIS FILM!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Anything with:

Russell Crowe
Adam Sandler
Matt or Damon Afflek
Keanu Reeves
Rap
Superheroes
Mike Myers
Christian Bale
Russell Crowe
Any member of SNL. (Not including the original not ready for primetime players)
Ben Stiller
Mellisa McCarthy
Rap

Sandra Craft

I heard about that Mother! movie -- even the review was incoherent, and they were really trying to sort it out.

The worst movie I've seen lately was The Snowman, with Michael Fassbender (why I chose it in the first place).  Very confusing and worse, when I read the book I saw the movie had made massive changes to the plot, none of which improved the story.  At all.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Velma

Quote from: Sandra Craft on August 29, 2018, 10:36:02 PM
I heard about that Mother! movie -- even the review was incoherent, and they were really trying to sort it out.

The worst movie I've seen lately was The Snowman, with Michael Fassbender (why I chose it in the first place).  Very confusing and worse, when I read the book I saw the movie had made massive changes to the plot, none of which improved the story.  At all.
The movie was extremely disappointing. Those books are so good. Making a movie that bad from a book that was that good took some work.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on August 29, 2018, 08:51:59 PM

Haven't seen it and won't, based on your post. But reading about it makes it seem like an allegory from the first part of Genesis, with mother being nature or the Earth and Him being God. Great actors - too bad it sucked.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 30, 2018, 09:34:23 AM

Haven't seen it and won't, based on your post. But reading about it makes it seem like an allegory from the first part of Genesis, with mother being nature or the Earth and Him being God. Great actors - too bad it sucked.

Yes you're correct about the source material. The really annoying thing is that Jennifer Lawrence puts in a cracking performance, but the story develops so slowly and then gets so weird that her performance is overwhelmed. Great shame for her. Javier Bardem, who is so good in No Country for old men, labours with a part that is so bland it could have been done with a cardboard cut out! It's a bit of a vanity piece for the director I think.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Buddy

The Room. It's wildly regarded as the worst movie ever
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on August 30, 2018, 11:32:22 AM

Yes you're correct about the source material. The really annoying thing is that Jennifer Lawrence puts in a cracking performance, but the story develops so slowly and then gets so weird that her performance is overwhelmed. Great shame for her. Javier Bardem, who is so good in No Country for old men, labours with a part that is so bland it could have been done with a cardboard cut out! It's a bit of a vanity piece for the director I think.

Sounds like the director's labours were in vainity then . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Dave on August 30, 2018, 03:10:18 PM
Quote from: Tank on August 30, 2018, 11:32:22 AM

Sounds like the director's labours were in vainity then . . .

:eyeroll:

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Velma on August 30, 2018, 09:21:19 AM
The movie was extremely disappointing. Those books are so good. Making a movie that bad from a book that was that good took some work.

Work of the "what the hell were you thinking" variety.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Bluenose

I used to be a member of a group who called themselves the "Gummy Bear Fan Club".  We used to get together to watch all manner of animated and other films and have a laugh together or discuss serious things as the case may be.  However, on one occasion we watched "Godzilla and the Cosmic Space Monster".  You may be familiar with "steady-cam" technology.  Well, this movie was filmed with "shaky-cam", on top of which the animation of the monsters was pathetic and the story hopeless, the acting fraught.  All in all this movie is a real turkey.  It's not even so bad it's good.  It's just bad.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Bluenose on August 30, 2018, 11:59:25 PM
I used to be a member of a group who called themselves the "Gummy Bear Fan Club".  We used to get together to watch all manner of animated and other films and have a laugh together or discuss serious things as the case may be.  However, on one occasion we watched "Godzilla and the Cosmic Space Monster".  You may be familiar with "steady-cam" technology.  Well, this movie was filmed with "shaky-cam", on top of which the animation of the monsters was pathetic and the story hopeless, the acting fraught.  All in all this movie is a real turkey.  It's not even so bad it's good.  It's just bad.

Not even bad enough to be good?

Bluenose

Quote from: Tank on August 31, 2018, 06:21:05 AM
Quote from: Bluenose on August 30, 2018, 11:59:25 PM

Not even bad enough to be good?

Correct, the film is so far mired in the abyss of badness it's almost transcendent.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

:whew: Good thing I didn't watch it!

I watch pretty much everything that comes to theatres, but the trailer for 'Mother' really put me off.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

I currently have in my possession The Best Worst Movie Ever Made. Not the documentary about the film, but the abomination known as Troll 2 itself. It is fantastic in its ridiculousness. There are zero trolls in the film. The film is not a sequel. The title was an attempt to trick people into thinking it was the sequel to the somewhat popular Troll which was completely unrelated in any way.

If you like movies that are so bad that they are fun to watch give it a try and then read the back story. It's frigging hilarious. Written and produced by an Italian crew armed with nothing more than an Italian-English dictionary for translation and filmed in Utah. One of the "actors" was an escaped mental patient.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz