News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Demons, Angels, and Monsters

Started by Magdalena, December 20, 2011, 09:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Has anyone seen this? If you have, could you give me your opinion?
If you haven't what do you think about this exhibit?

Getty Center Museum.
Demons, Angels, and Monsters: The Supernatural in Art

"Created by kids for kids, the audio tour features imaginative children sharing their impressions of troublemaking demons, flying superhero angels, and a charming dragon. Whether angelic or sinister, the art reveals how past cultures have viewed the supernatural, and how belief in such creatures influenced everyday life."

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

history_geek

Well, I decided to look around youtube, and lo and behold:

Excerpt from Demons, Angels, & Monsters Audio Tour

I seriously don't know should I laugh, cry or feel extremely disturbed, so I think I'll just go with:

What. The. Fuck. Did I just watch :o

And this is for kids....!?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Asmodean

WTF?! Sticks! Outrage!

Obviously, any self-respecting demon would have an arsenal, consisting of at least a chainsaw, a scythe and a heavy machinegun.  >:(

They should have put the drawings I made when I was but a tiny specklet of clay up there. That woulda' raised the age limits!  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

Quote from: history_geek on December 20, 2011, 09:32:58 PM

I seriously don't know should I laugh, cry or feel extremely disturbed, so I think I'll just go with:

Wow!!, thank you for showing me that.
What The Fuck indeed my friend,
What The Fuck!?  ???  ::)  :o  :-[  :-\
This is being advertised on TV.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Pharaoh Cat

I love this picture!

Bottom panel in an altarpiece, Polyptych with Coronation of the Virgin & Saints (Cenni di Francesco di Ser Cenni, ca. 1390, tempera on panel)

Article that discusses it: http://ferrebeekeeper.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/gothic-demons-part-one/

I think that yellow guy in the middle is Pharaoh Cat in winged mode!

"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Pharaoh Cat

"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

OldGit

Here's a detail from the W window of Fairford church in Gloucestershire.  In the left-hand panel we see a demon taking a woman literally to hell in a handcart.  I bet she's an atheist.  At the bottom right is an infernal ancestor of the Asmo.

Sweetdeath

Putting so much emphasis on things that don't exist is really irritating. This is what is hate the most about religion. Whether this event is religous or not, I still find it pretty unecessarry. Especially for kids o_o
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: OldGit on December 21, 2011, 08:13:27 PM
At the bottom right is an infernal ancestor of the Asmo.
Yup. That be Asmodeus Infernalis. Long presumed extinct by many, but it really is just biding its time.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

We had a devil birthday party for my daughter when she was nine at her request.
There were devils in Jim Henson's Storyteller, they collected teeth and they freaked her out, she had a thing about devils.
She seemed to turn her fear into fun, everyone seemed to embrace the theme.

Sweetdeath

Awww! Your daughter sounds really awesome, Puddin. Great photos~
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Traveler

Obviously I don't know my demon lore, because I'm surprised that they have belly buttons. Apparently demons are natural creatures who are birthed just like humans. Who knew?

As for the display. Weird. I'm honestly not quite sure what to think. The narrator sounded like George Carlin, so it all sounded like a joke to me.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

pytheas

I doesnt sound bad although I havent seen it.
reminds me of the touring Myths and Monsters exhibition from the natural history museum in london

However, " the supernatural in art" could be phrased better
since the non-existent in art constitutes of a large 0 and not imaginary beings
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Amicale

Quote from: history_geek on December 20, 2011, 09:32:58 PM

Am I the only one who laughed at the kid saying "they" (demons) "remind me of someone I met once. She was kinda mean and she was always in really bright clothes!"

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan