Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Objects of Desire

Started by hermes2015, April 04, 2018, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 04, 2018, 07:09:05 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 04, 2018, 05:52:38 PM

I think Jesus will let you into heaven with those, he was a tradey after all.

They are beautiful and embody the principle of "form follows function".

I was thinking about those ratchets after I posted and realized just how much care went into the design and production. Given their age the crisp lettering and pebble finish weren't machined, they were forged into each blank. I can't imagine the skill of those die cutters. And for the company to continually sharpen and replace each die as they become worn shows a commitment to detail you are unlikely to find today.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 04, 2018, 07:07:28 PM
Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman. I love it so much that I cannot part with it; it has travelled from Paris to Beirut to Johannesburg with me.

How comfortable is it?

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on April 04, 2018, 07:18:49 PM
How comfortable is it?

One of the best I have ever sat in, but that is typical of all his designs. I have a few others and will post them as well. The consensus is that the 20th century belongs to Charles Eames as far as furniture design is concerned. This one was designed as a birthday present for his friend Billy Wilder in 1956. Wilder was a movie director (Some Like It Hot, among others). If you want to buy one, PLEASE get the original Herman Miller product, not one of the awful knock-offs one sees.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Honestly hermes, I probably couldn't afford the knockoff. I do need a better chair though. Maybe I'll come across one in a junk store for cheap!

ETA: Hole E Chit! That's a six thousand dollar chair. You certainly have refined tastes.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on April 04, 2018, 07:40:09 PM
Honestly hermes, I probably couldn't afford the knockoff. I do need a better chair though. Maybe I'll come across one in a junk store for cheap!

As I told Dave, you only live once! The price depends on the leather option you choose, but it is around $5000:
http://store.hermanmiller.com/living/lounge-chairs-and-ottomans/eames-lounge-chair-and-ottoman/5667.html?lang=en_US

Do you need a desk chair? I can recommend the Aeron, also from Herman Miller company. I told the dealer I was an architect, so qualified for a discount on my Aeron desk chair.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

ETA: Hole E Chit! That's a six thousand dollar chair. You certainly have refined tastes.
And no children! LOL
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on April 04, 2018, 07:51:56 PM

And no children! LOL

Tank, that brings us to a part of my life I have not revealed so far at HAF. I have been debating with myself whether or not to reveal that I was married before. I have a wonderful daughter and an ex wife who is now unbelievably close to me - almost like the sister I never had. Perhaps one day I will tell more.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 04, 2018, 07:46:59 PM

As I told Dave, you only live once! The price depends on the leather option you choose, but it is around $5000:
http://store.hermanmiller.com/living/lounge-chairs-and-ottomans/eames-lounge-chair-and-ottoman/5667.html?lang=en_US

Do you need a desk chair? I can recommend the Aeron, also from Herman Miller company. I told the dealer I was an architect, so qualified for a discount on my Aeron desk chair.

I need a recliner, really. My hips bother me quite a bit and elevating my legs seems to help. I also like to sleep in a chair. My current recliner is pretty worn out though so I make due on the couch with a pillow fort.

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 04, 2018, 08:00:26 PM

And no children! LOL

Tank, that brings us to a part of my life I have not revealed so far at HAF. I have been debating with myself whether or not to reveal that I was married before. I have a wonderful daughter and an ex wife who is now unbelievably close to me - almost like the sister I never had. Perhaps one day I will tell more.
I apologise for my assumption!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

QuoteHole E Chit!

That's close to the Franglais version: "Ho le chit!" (soft "ch" of course.)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

And no children! LOL

You've talked about your daughter before. I think it was related to tiling.

I'll say this though, if I ever find myself in Johannesburg please don't invite me to your home. I'd have to refuse for fear of stumbling into an expensive sculpture or tearing the seat on a fine chair with my wallet and be forced into twenty years of indentured servitude to pay the repair!

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on April 04, 2018, 08:03:07 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on April 04, 2018, 07:46:59 PM

I need a recliner, really. My hips bother me quite a bit and elevating my legs seems to help. I also like to sleep in a chair. My current recliner is pretty worn out though so I make due on the couch with a pillow fort.

My left hip is also bad, so I've decided to have a replacement next month. I sometimes see recliners when I visit people, but I don't know how good they are. Yes, I see the Eames has gone up in price and the oiled palisander wood option is now more than $7000. Pity, because I think it wil work for you.
― Charles Eames

Dragonia

And no children! LOL

Hermes, I'm not shocked that you've been married and had a child, but I have so many more questions, but for now, I won't pry. I'm glad your ex-wife is close to you.
And just for the record, if I was ever in Johannesburg,  I would totally come visit your place! I imagine it to be enchanting and inspiring and elegant.  And I'd like to sit in your fancy chair  ;D
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant