News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Objects of Desire

Started by hermes2015, April 04, 2018, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on April 05, 2018, 02:34:09 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on April 05, 2018, 04:53:58 AMI just happen to like nice things and everything I have and do is for me to enjoy and not to show off to other people, so I hope I have not made the wrong impression in this thread.

No wrong impression at all. There's nothing wrong with laying down five grand for a chair you like or art you appreciate. Hell, I'd do it myself if I could. We all like nice things and I've enjoyed seeing your stuff. At least you buy what you like and csn get use of. I know people who spend hundreds on a watch as a fashion accessory and can't read a dial clock. Then need to bump five dollars for smokes...

Thanks, I appreciate that. I really don't see myself as extravagant at all. For example, I don't spend too much on clothes and usually dress the way you see me in the photo I posted yesterday next to my Hermes car - I am usually just a jeans and T-shirt guy. The one thing I don't like to buy is cheap shoes, because they can affect one's health. But then I don't wear Louis Vuitton shoes; Doc Martens are quite good enough for me. I also don't smoke and almost never buy alcohol. I've worn the same Tag watch for16 years and don't feel the need to replace it.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Great idea for a thread!  :bigspecs: I'll go through it later but this caught my eye:

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 05, 2018, 05:37:06 AM
On a lighter note, here is a very sculptural object by Philippe Starck, manufactured by Alessi.

I display it as a small sculpture, but it is also a functional object.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

When I look at that I'm reminded of a type of virus docking on a new host cell:

This is how they're commonly drawn:

:deadpan: Yeah...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 05, 2018, 05:34:16 PM
Great idea for a thread!  :bigspecs: I'll go through it later but this caught my eye:
When I look at that I'm reminded of a type of virus docking on a new host cell:

This is how they're commonly drawn:

:deadpan: Yeah...

I see what you mean. A lot of abstract art causes these associations.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Hermes, you seem to have opened a little wellspring of wide ranging aestheticism here!

Wide rangjng because that expensive painting may give no more pleasure than a child's first attempt to depict their world on paper,  that pebble from  the beach can be as pleasing to the touch as the finest silk, that efficient and well finished tool shares properties with a bronze art piece. They share the same aesthetic value.

In a documentary about an artist/sculptor, whose name I cannot recall, they interviewed him in his studio. On one side was just shelves with humdreds of miscellaneous objects, from natural objects through bottle caps, dolls and tools to fine art items. He had simply collected things whose properties gave him pleasure - without regard to his need or the value of that item in its specific function or purpose.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on April 05, 2018, 06:33:35 PM
Hermes, you seem to have opened a little wellspring of wide ranging aestheticism here!

Wide rangjng because that expensive painting may give no more pleasure than a child's first attempt to depict their world on paper,  that pebble from  the beach can be as pleasing to the touch as the finest silk, that efficient and well finished tool shares properties with a bronze art piece. They share the same aesthetic value.

In a documentary about an artist/sculptor, whose name I cannot recall, they interviewed him in his studio. On one side was just shelves with humdreds of miscellaneous objects, from natural objects through bottle caps, dolls and tools to fine art items. He had simply collected things whose properties gave him pleasure - without regard to his need or the value of that item in its specific function or purpose.

There aren't enough hours in a day to explore everything.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Me biting the leg of a spider by Louise Bourgeois.

― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 05, 2018, 07:36:34 PM
Quote from: Dave on April 05, 2018, 06:33:35 PM

There aren't enough hours in a day to explore everything.

Or days in a life . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

Well, this thread grew fast!

I've got an Aeron office chair - they're very good.

And my wife's got some other Herman Miller items. Some I like, some are WTF? (esp. the pricing)

... always wanted that juicer.

I built a Lego version of Falling Waters, but I'd need a shrink ray to live in it.

So, where can I get a working Rocket Pack?

hermes2015

Quote from: joeactor on April 05, 2018, 08:49:51 PM
Well, this thread grew fast!

I've got an Aeron office chair - they're very good.

And my wife's got some other Herman Miller items. Some I like, some are WTF? (esp. the pricing)

... always wanted that juicer.

I built a Lego version of Falling Waters, but I'd need a shrink ray to live in it.

So, where can I get a working Rocket Pack?

Wow, kindred spirits! Which other Herman Miller items do you guys have?  All my other Herman Miller stuff is Eames furniture, except for the office area..

I am a qualified Herman Miller Action Office installer and used to do that as a hobby over weekends to earn some pocket money. I had a team of 6 guys assisting me and some months I made more from that than my full time job as a chemist. My office at home is fully Action Office. At the moment it is a bit untidy with two projects I'm working on, but will post a photo when things have settled.

I got the juicer as a birthday present from an ex lover (after I was divorced).

That rocket pack looks like an Eduardo Paolozzi sculpture to me.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/art-reviews/10177013/Eduardo-Paolozzi-at-Pallant-House.html
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I wonder how much longer I can live without owning one of Miguel Berrocal's wonderful puzzle sculptures. I had the opportunity to buy one in 1971, but stupidly did not. Isn't it true that on the whole one regrets the things one did not do more than the things one did? Of course, I am not talking about murder and other terrible acts.

This is Berrocal's Romeo and Juliet.
― Charles Eames

Buddy

I want to update my wardrobe so bad. I have a few pieces to make it through the work week but I really want to have a bit more variety. Plus almost all of my tops are sweaters and that will not work if summer ever decides to show up.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

hermes2015

Quote from: Buddy on April 06, 2018, 01:58:42 PM
I want to update my wardrobe so bad. I have a few pieces to make it through the work week but I really want to have a bit more variety. Plus almost all of my tops are sweaters and that will not work if summer ever decides to show up.

What kind of style do you like?
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

These may be good starting points.
http://visual-therapy.com/blog/style-type-quiz/

https://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=whats-your-personal-fashion-style

― Charles Eames

Buddy

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 06, 2018, 02:12:59 PM

What kind of style do you like?

Honestly, I don't really know how to describe it. It's kind of a mix of New England prep, business casual, and just a little vintage. It's weird.

I know what I like, it's just that bills get priority lol
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.