Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Glad to stumble upon you

Started by lesondemavie, December 31, 2009, 07:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lesondemavie

Hope it didn't hurt!

So an introduction...

Well how about a bit of my history?  I always say that telling my parents that I do not believe in a god or higher power was a bit like coming out of the closet - there was a lot of screaming, yelling, and hurtful words thrown at me.  I grew up in a strict, Catholic family and (funny enough) my imaginary friend when I was 4 was jesus (I think I was a bit confused about prayer at the time).  It wasn't until college that I really came into my own.  Things are much better now.  I still get jesus cards in the mail and daily bread pamphlets in my bags when I come back from visiting home, but I know it's just because they love me and that's what they believe or were taught love is (and thankfully there's a lot more to that love than just that).  I think that just by being me and sticking to what I think and feel and see - they'll see I'm great, that there is no huge hole to fill, and that actually I am living my life to the fullest.  They've already come to understand that atheists are not evil.  A good story - my little brother (9 years younger) still believes in god, but at one of his group meetings (he's had problems with drugs) another very religious family made a comment about atheists worshiping satan (hello misunderstanding) and he stood up and pretty much chewed them out telling them that his sister is an atheist and she's one of the best people he knows.

Anyway, bit about myself - I'm in my late 20s, I'm working on a master's in clinical psychology with an emphasis in applied behavior analysis, I work full-time developing and supervising aba programs for kids with autism, i love music, wine, food, travel and nature, and I strive for acceptance and respect and understanding not just tolerance.  I think that we as atheists are not a homogeneous group (that would kinda be like throwing all theists together and saying hey you all believe in a higher power you must all be really similar), but that we may face some similar challenges.

Hope I can get something from and add something to the group!  Happy to be here :)!

McQ

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your great introduction! Very nice to get to know you. And thanks for the work you do. It's so important. Major points and karma to you!

:D
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette