News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Irish abortion law ammendent voted in.

Started by Dave, May 26, 2018, 01:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Seems that those looking for a change in Ireland's strict abortion laws.

Exit pols suggest up to about 70% are in favour of abortions, without medical requiremeht, up to week 12.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44265492

There has been some debate on the failing grip of the RCC on Ireland, especially on the legal/political front but also in moral and cultural influence. It sounds like in a generation or two they could be very much in the background.

Waiting to hear if they have an opinion on the result on the referrendum.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

It's great news. Though the wording of "70% are favor of abortions[...]" is a bit off I think. That's how anti-choicers phrase it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

This has really stirred the shit in Northern Ireland (NI), as while they are part of the UK they now have the toughest abortion laws in Europe and the locals don't like that.

Now the thing is that the main NI political party, the DUP, is propping up the minority Conservative government in Westminster. And the DUP are a bunch of Nazis, they do not want abortion reform in NI. It's all going to turn very nasty when Brexit actually happens. Ireland could veto any deal as they are part of Europe and the DUP could stop any Brexit deal by not supporting the exit bill which means the rest of the UK fall out of Europe with no customs or trad deal.

It's a cluster fuck from one end to the other!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

The actual vote was 66.x to 33.x so a scape over 2 thirds voted to repeal clause 8, the abortion related part of the Irish constitution that gave an unborn baby the same rights as its mother.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ecurb Noselrub

12 weeks is pretty quick. Some women aren't even sure they are pregnant until over a month in, leaving not much time to decide.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 29, 2018, 06:26:16 PM
12 weeks is pretty quick. Some women aren't even sure they are pregnant until over a month in, leaving not much time to decide.
It is. It ties up with the end of the 1st trimester when most miscarriages occur. However the change in the law allows the prescription of the morning after pill from day one of potential pregnancy.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on May 29, 2018, 06:30:59 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 29, 2018, 06:26:16 PM
It is. It ties up with the end of the 1st trimester when most miscarriages occur. However the change in the law allows the prescription of the morning after pill from day one of potential pregnancy.

Think it also allows abortion after week 12 under certain circumstances. Not sure if that includes incapacitating congenital defects.

QuoteLeo Varadkar

@campaignforleo
A Yes vote does not mean there will be no restrictions. There will be a waiting period of 72 hours for reflection & counselling. Terminations beyond 12 weeks will remain illegal except in very specific circumstances. Late term abortions will be illegal. #VoteYes #Together4Yes

11:57 AM - Apr 21, 2018

No doubt those "specific conditions" will surface when this goes into the law books.  On second thoughts, politicians often kerp quiet on such "specifics" so they can use them in campaigning.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bluenose

OK, as for the numbers, I think the best way to look at is that Ireland voted two to one in favour of abortion law reform.  A major slap in the face for the RCC.  Couldn't happen to a more deserving crowd.

As for the substance, IMO abortion should be strictly limited and be available only to those women who are pregnant and don't want to be.   Everything else is no one's business except the woman and her doctor.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

Sometimes looking for the motivation bothers me and I'll think, stop the Freuding around and just deal with what they're saying. Sometimes.

The Catholics though  :eyeroll:

WASHINGTON, DC-Thirty-five years ago this week, the Catholic Church
warned that widespread acceptance of artificial contraception would have profound and negative consequences for the entire world. "Far from being THE instrument of liberation for women, the pill enslaved women and brainwashed an entire generation into thinking that sex is simply a recreational activity devoid of any consequences and responsibility," said Judie Brown, president of American Life League.  When Pope Paul VI released the Catholic Church's official stance on artificial birth control in the encyclical HUMANAE VITAE, he warned of an increase in "conjugal infidelity and the general lowering of morality."  He also said that the dignity of women in society would be reduced and that men would "forget the reverence due to a woman, and, disregarding her physical and emotional equilibrium, reduce her to being a mere instrument for the satisfaction of his own desires, no longer considering her as his partner whom he should surround with care and affection."  Even the most fervent feminist would have difficulty claiming that this objectification of women has NOT occurred in the last 35 years.

You're underestimating this fervent feminist Judie, woman have been objectified since forever.
Contraception prevents/hugely reduces abortion but that's not acceptable either.
So is it more about the potential babies or control of the masses and that icky sex?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Arturo

I don't know. Sometimes I think they just want to "fill up the earth" like the bible said, or so I've been told. But that's not realistically possible to be able to survive. I mean if they want to start the apocalypse, that's perfectly do-able.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱