News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Who is your favorite theist philosopher/theologian?

Started by Cforcerunner, August 13, 2011, 07:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Whitney on September 01, 2011, 04:03:37 AM
I've been thinking about it and don't think I have a favorite theist philosopher...yet I also don't really have a favorite atheist philosopher other than my husband.
Awww! <3
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Medusa

She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Too Few Lions

Epicurus. He taught that one should try and lead a happy and tranquil life, and that nothing should be believed except that which can be  tested through direct observation and logical deduction.
His philosophy taught that one should try and reach a state of ataraxia (tranquility). It involved rejecting faith in an afterlife and religious superstition, avoiding politics and vexatious people, surrounding oneself with trustworthy and affectionate friends and, most importantly, being an affectionate, virtuous person, worthy of trust. Plus he also came up with one of my all-time favourite quotes, it's no wonder the Christians went out of their way to persecute his followers;

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

All that 2300 years ago, the man was a genius.

Sweetdeath

Yes, I love the quote.  The first time I heard it back in high school, it got my gears turning towards becoming an atheist. Love *__*
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Melmoth

I like Aleister Crowley, if he counts. I find him all the more interesting for his flaws and I enjoy reading his books.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

Medusa

Henry Rollins kicks ass as a writer. Or just go to youtube and check out his shows where he just opines on end. Very interesting. I like his straight from the gut approach to things. I don't quite know why.... :P
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...