News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What would it take for you to believe in a god or gods?

Started by Dr_Pepper, June 09, 2009, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegnicat

:eek:

Somebodies had a little bit too much righteousness for today, methinks.
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

grandiose

nothing can make me believe in such a vague fallacy thingy like the idea of a "God"

...and even if HE did exists, I will surely not follow Him because of his unethical, irrational ways.

Quote"The only difference between God and Adolph Hitler is that God is more proficient at genocide."   --Anonymous
Atheism. Because reality is awesome.

Ellainix

Well... let's start with a more basic question... what exactly is a God?
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

Whitney

skeptic griggsy, I don't know why a picture was attached to your post....so I deleted it.  If it was your picture, make it your avatar.

Whitney

Quote from: "Ellainix"Well... let's start with a more basic question... what exactly is a God?

When I see "God" I think Judeo-Christian deity since they are the only group I know of who refers to their deity as God instead of some other name.

So, God is a god but a god may not be God....not sure if anyone else makes that distinction.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "Ellainix"Well... let's start with a more basic question... what exactly is a God?

When I see "God" I think Judeo-Christian deity since they are the only group I know of who refers to their deity as God instead of some other name.

So, God is a god but a god may not be God....not sure if anyone else makes that distinction.

Thats usually how I distinguish it though i've been complained too referring to God as God.  To make it easier we can call the Judeo-Christian god YHWH (or any of its other spellings).  

If the question asked is what exactly is a god (lowercase) then i'd answer an imaginary being or beings thought up to control the weak minded masses.  Or if i'm in a nicer mood i'll use this definition, a fictional being used to justify mass murder and barbarism.  ^_^
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Renegnicat

How about a definition of god as, "whatever it is you worship". When you think about it, the connotations of the word "god" originally came from the word "lord" as in, human lord. Hence the phrase, you can not serve two masters(lords).

It makes sense, then, to define god as whatever you dedicate your entire being towards. For some people, that's money. For others, it's solving problems. For yet others, it's simply themselves. What's more, the "god" doesn't have to be real objectively, so long as it's real to the person serving it.

Would that be a good definition?
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

skeptic griggsy

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Ellainix"
Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Kill the Buddha.

:shake:
It doesn't mean what you think it means.
-Curio

fiendmf

For the sky to split open, with a smack to the face. Otherwise, I'll continue being the skeptic that I am. By skeptic I mean, one who finds the idea of a man in the clouds to be ridiculous & sad. By sad I mean, actual intelligent adults buying into it. If that's not a sad state of affairs, I don't know what is. Either way, there's my two cents.
"When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth." - Dawn of the Dead (1978)

dogsmycopilot

Quote from: "Dr_Pepper"(keeping their methods a secret, of course)
That's right, because keeping knowledge secret = power.
Quote from: "Dr_Pepper"There are still the issues of omnipotence and omnipresence, but otherwise, these people from the future are nothing short of divine.
Um, those are some big issues. Without OP I see no point in the classification of godhood.

Quote from: "Dr_Pepper"So, if someone came up to you claiming to be a god, and did things that you could not explain, that seemed miraculous, would you believe him/her? Why? Remember, if a miracle is nothing but something unexplainable, and any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, then how do you know that this 'god' isn't just a higher, more intelligent species? And if it turns out that it is, in fact, a higher species, does that make them worth worshiping?

What do you think? What would you do?

I await your responds with bated breath.   ;)
Wouldn't do anything. Being a higher species is not on my list of what makes something worship-able. I think this goes to the heart of the theist/atheist problem. They come at us atheists always as though they simply have to convince us god exists. I can believe he exists I just can't bring myself to think highly of him. That's a whole different ball game they seem unable to address.