News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What's your worst trait?

Started by weedoch, July 11, 2008, 11:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedoch

I am a huge procrastinator and hate it in myself - honestly, I put so much effort into avoiding some things that it would be far easier to just do it! So, to make myself feel better about my own shortcomings, I want to hear about yours please (and if anyone has any ideas on how to stop bloody procrastinating, jot them down and I'll look at them later!).

Will

I am competitive, possessive, egotistical and vain. These each root in old self esteem issues from when I was younger, and I have worked very hard for my whole adult life to heal my old wounds in order to correct these traits. It's an ongoing process.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

susangail

I beat myself up over every little thing. I feel guilty about things even when it makes no sense to. At the end of the day, I usually weed through my actions and conversations of the day and want to pound my head into a wall. I'm getting better at it though. My friends are really helping me out. I'm learning to just tell myself that it happened, I said it, I did it, there's nothing I can do about it now. Or to to keep it simple, I say: "Fuck it." Seriously "fuck it" works in so many situations. "I can't believe I said that today. Why the hell did I--- ah whatever, fuck it."

Quote from: "weedoch"(and if anyone has any ideas on how to stop bloody procrastinating, jot them down and I'll look at them later!).
I used to procrastinate like I was being paid for it. There's no real recipe to get out of it. I found out I like to sleep. That helped me a bit. I still procrastinate, but not so much. I play mind games with myself. Whenever I need to do something, (let's say practicing for my clarinet test), I make myself get up the minute (second, millisecond) that the idea enters my head, before I get the chance to talk myself out of it or make excuses or just remain on my ass. It's way harder than it sounds, but I'm getting better at it. I try not to think about how much I don't want to do it and just make myself. Mind over matter in a sense. Bleh, gross just thinking about it.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Smallville

I'm more lazy than a procrastinator. (There is a difference.) I'll usually let things slide until they really need doing.

As for helping a procrastinator - you've probably heard all of the things before: prioritize, lists of things - from ease to difficulty, importance, or in a time-frame - they all work if you want them to.

If I know I have a lot to do (and being a teacher that includes a whole lot of really useless crap) I find that if I make myself get it out of the way ASAP so I don't have to worry about it.
Two wrongs don't make a right but three left turns will.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." â€" Nietzsche
"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." - Clarence Darrow

afreethinker30

I over analyze everything...I'm always repeating things over and over in my head thinking about what I should have said or done.Then I beat myself up over it because I clearly shouldn't have said what I did and am always thinking about how to correct it.Plus I have a bit of OCD which I believe was passed down from my mother and her mother.Which I am trying hard to work on because it is impossible to keep things clean when living with 3 men.

rlrose328

I'm clumsy (I've knocked over 3 drinks in the last 4 days... ruined some Pokemon cards in the process!).
I'm forgettful (left the water on in Mom's pool twice during our visit and flooded her lawn).
I'm lazy (REALLY need to clean the toilets this weekend!).
I'm a procrastinator (REALLY need to get back to studying!!!).

I think that's about it.   :raised:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Jolly Sapper

A very personal question... (gotta love the anonymous nature of the internets)...

I have a very high expectation of humanity.. but only if I'm not around people, watch TV, or partake of anything of the news media... honestly, the constant let downs are exhausting.

rlrose328

Quote from: "Jolly Sapper"A very personal question... (gotta love the anonymous nature of the internets)...

I have a very high expectation of humanity.. but only if I'm not around people, watch TV, or partake of anything of the news media... honestly, the constant let downs are exhausting.

Wow, my husband could have written that.  He takes a break from the news every 3 or 4 months (on one right now) because he gets so pissed, he's hard to live with.  The world constantly lets him down.  (Heck, me too.)
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

mrwynd

Everything comes easy to me but I'm not good at caring or trying about anything in particular.

weedoch

Oh my god - I've just realised I have just about every single one of the bad traits except OCD, which I could probably do with for a couple of days! Although on reflection as none of the traits listed include racist, bigotted, mean, bullying, greedy, incurious, selfish, smelly or murderous I think as a group we're doing quite well... I've started another thread to cheer everyone up after this one. :)

Tom62

My worse trait is that my mind wonders off when people talk around the bush. I find it very difficult concentrate when people don't give me direct and concise information. Maybe that's why I hate office meetings and politicians so much. I also have to fight my tendency to procrastinate and I'm very impatient when things don't work out the way it should or when people don't do what I've asked them to do.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

jcm

I spend too much time thinking about what I should do and less time actually doing it. Also I am too worried about saying the wrong thing in public. It is such an extreme that I end up not talking because I either don’t want to seem ignorant or offensive.

I guess I should just not care, but I would hate the awkward stares.

I can be very lazy.

I don’t like many people.

I have the worst memory on the planet.

That’s about it. :beer:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

MariaEvri

Im silent. Very silent even when I dont want to, I donno what to say
plus i might get selfish sometimes and
spellings. I type so fast and always forget to double check before I post
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

crocofish

I let perfectionism get out of hand sometimes.  Sometimes I waste too much time and effort perfecting whatever I'm working on, when it doesn't have to be perfect.  In some cases, if I know I can't do something perfect, I don't even try.  I sometimes offend others when I critique what they are doing, if I think they are not doing it the right way.  I am getting better at reminding myself that things don't have to be perfect.  Sometimes people should be left alone to do things the "wrong way".
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

leftyguitarjoe

I try too hard to be nice, and end up getting stuck in the "friend" zone with most girls.

I know, it sounds weird, but thats how it happens.