News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

New black atheist to the forum

Started by Timor, May 25, 2010, 07:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

Quote from: "Cecilie"Now everybody tell their names.  :shake:
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: "Tom62"

Farqua?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

Quote from: "Tank"

Farqua?
Nope. It is Maria  :verysad:  (Thomas Antonius Maria van Breukelen is my full name)
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: "Tank"Farqua?
Nope. It is Maria  :eek: Okay, now we need the backstory. However Thomas Antonius Maria van Breukelen IS a super cool name overall!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Tom62"Thomas Antonius Maria van Breukelen is my full name

That is an amazing name!
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

elliebean

Quote from: "Tom62"It is Maria
Just like the author of All Quiet on the Western Front, Erich Maria Remarque.  :)
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Cecilie

I wish I had an embarrasing middle name... Well, sort of.  :D
The world's what you create.

Tom62

Quote from: "Tank":eek: Okay, now we need the backstory. However Thomas Antonius Maria van Breukelen IS a super cool name overall!
My catholic mother was to blame. She came from a catholic family and thought it was cool to give her children the middle name Maria. My father, who was a less devout catholic, managed to persuade her that having three kids with that middle name was enough, so my youngest brother got spared.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: "Tank":eek: Okay, now we need the backstory. However Thomas Antonius Maria van Breukelen IS a super cool name overall!
My catholic mother was to blame. She came from a catholic family and thought it was cool to give her children the middle name Maria. My father, who was a less devout catholic, managed to persuade her that having three kids with that middle name was enough, so my youngest brother got spared.
Were your two older siblings also male and thus suffer 'The curse of Maria' as well?

Tom62

Quote from: "Tank"Were your two older siblings also male and thus suffer 'The curse of Maria' as well?
I've got indeed three brothers. Carl is older than me, Peter and Erik are younger. Only Erik doesn't suffer from the Maria curse.
Robert A. Heinlein

TheWilliam

Quote from: "Tank"Tim

May I ask why you introduced yourself as a 'black atheist'?

being a black (american)  atheist is a minority inside the minority.

other black people (the women in particular) write you off as a lost weirdo, which brings about a deeeeeeeep head scratch for me

Tank

Quote from: "TheWilliam"
Quote from: "Tank"Tim

May I ask why you introduced yourself as a 'black atheist'?

being a black (american)  atheist is a minority inside the minority.

other black people (the women in particular) write you off as a lost weirdo, which brings about a deeeeeeeep head scratch for me
I understand that better now. Humblesmurph has added to my understanding of the particular circumstances black atheists find themselves in. The attitude of black women towards black atheists has also cropped up in his posts. As you say, deep head scratching moment!

Thumpalumpacus

Hi there, sorry to hear of your troubles.  I hope it may be a consolation when I say that in my experience real love brushes aside differences, even those so apparently deep as faith or its absence.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

NothingSacred

Hi there tim,

Don't give up on your quest for like minded people. This forum has been a refuge for me. I know it can sometimes seem attractive to give in to the herd mentality especially when you find yourself lonely but trust me peace of mind comes from intellectual honesty. As a former theist it is great to be free of religion it is abusive and it sucks all of the beauty out of life. You aren't missing much. Oh and btw there are more black atheists than you think but many are not so vocal because of the costs associated with being honest...religion is very deeply rooted in black culture and it can be difficult to "come out" but slowly that is changing.
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices -William James
Anything worth knowing is difficult to learn- Greek Proverb
what if god ain't looking down what if he's looking up instead-Ani difranco "what if no one's watching

PoopShoot

All hail Cancer Jesus!