News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Residents of Britain: Take back your freedom!

Started by British_Atheist, July 05, 2010, 02:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

British_Atheist

Move if in wrong place

The Coalition government has launched a new campaign to start listening to the people and scrap laws that are seen to be unfair, intrusive on civil liberties, and unnecessary in this moden age.

If you are a resident of Britain, go a register on this website and start contributing ideas, or voting up current ones: http://yourfreedom.hmg.gov.uk/

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg made this introduction video to explain the campaign:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeaIB2YvKhw&feature=player_embedded
"I am an atheist, and if an atheist and a pope think the same things, there must be something true. There must be some human truth that is beyond religion".
Oriana Fallaci

SSY

Thank god, the proliferation of shitty legislation has pissed me off for years. Not that I expect them to actually listen, but even raising the issue of less onerous government will be good for the public.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Tank

Quote from: "SSY"Thank god, the proliferation of shitty legislation has pissed me off for years. Not that I expect them to actually listen, but even raising the issue of less onerous government will be good for the public.
+1 to that.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dretlin

I remember hearing this on the radio - and to be honest I thought it was  a piss take!

Time to clean up the shop I suppose.

Tank

Quote from: "Dretlin"I remember hearing this on the radio - and to be honest I thought it was  a piss take!
It's hooked my wife good and proper!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Caecilian

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "SSY"Thank god, the proliferation of shitty legislation has pissed me off for years. Not that I expect them to actually listen, but even raising the issue of less onerous government will be good for the public.
+1 to that.

Make that +2.

Governments very rarely give up control of anything. Bureaucracies rarely act to cut bureaucracy. So there are good reasons to be skeptical.

Still, its very refreshing to have a government that actually admits that theres a problem. Labour was all about extending the state. Maybe this bunch are different.

We'll see. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The Black Jester

Quote from: "Caecilian"The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

It's so nice to see that phrase used correctly, for once.  I rarely ever hear it used correctly in America.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Caecilian

Quote from: "The Black Jester"

It's so nice to see that phrase used correctly, for once.  I rarely ever hear it used correctly in America.

Thank you  :) .

I like that phrase- it rolls off the tongue in a pleasing sort of way. I don't use it often, but rather enjoy it when I do.

pinkocommie

Yeah, I've always heard it as 'the proof is in the pudding' but I never understood what the hell that was supposed to mean.  Haha!
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

SSY

I think if anyone can cut red tape, the Tories can, they understand their votes come from people who want to cut government spending, they realise their best chance at re-election is to cut. Labour are quite the reverse, their election strategy relies on creating a client state, they would never even admit there was a problem. I just hope this new Diet Tory is up to the job, the cabinet is more lightweight than a summer duvet.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Whitney

proof is in the pudding  :P

karadan

Quote from: "SSY"I think if anyone can cut red tape, the Tories can, they understand their votes come from people who want to cut government spending, they realise their best chance at re-election is to cut. Labour are quite the reverse, their election strategy relies on creating a client state, they would never even admit there was a problem. I just hope this new Diet Tory is up to the job, the cabinet is more lightweight than a summer duvet.

We're already feeling the cuts where i work for the county council. No one is being hired and anyone who leaves isn't getting replaced. We've been told categorically all our jobs are safe (IT business services) but almost all other departments and services are being cut substantially.

It is genuinely good to see. I'm seeing the direct effects of belt-tightening first hand. I'm totally fine with having to work a bit harder for the next few years with a pay freeze. We all need to make concessions in times like this. I'm just happy i have a job to be honest.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Tank

Quote from: "karadan"
Quote from: "SSY"I think if anyone can cut red tape, the Tories can, they understand their votes come from people who want to cut government spending, they realise their best chance at re-election is to cut. Labour are quite the reverse, their election strategy relies on creating a client state, they would never even admit there was a problem. I just hope this new Diet Tory is up to the job, the cabinet is more lightweight than a summer duvet.

We're already feeling the cuts where i work for the county council. No one is being hired and anyone who leaves isn't getting replaced. We've been told categorically all our jobs are safe (IT business services) but almost all other departments and services are being cut substantially.

It is genuinely good to see. I'm seeing the direct effects of belt-tightening first hand. I'm totally fine with having to work a bit harder for the next few years with a pay freeze. We all need to make concessions in times like this. I'm just happy i have a job to be honest.
The annoying thing though is that are the wankers, sorry bankers, that caused this mess taking the hit? Are they fuck! The people least ably to cope with the effects of the credit crunch are taking the brunt of the pain to give those greedy pigs a free ride!  :brick:

Caecilian

Quote from: "Tank"The annoying thing though is that are the wankers, sorry bankers, that caused this mess taking the hit? Are they fuck! The people least ably to cope with the effects of the credit crunch are taking the brunt of the pain to give those greedy pigs a free ride!  :brick:

Thats about it, isn't it? And the one thing that I really do trust the Tories to do is to screw the poor and give tax cuts to the wealthy. Cutting back the power of the state...thats a lot less likely imo. They were very critical of the terrible legislation that Labour brought in- but that was when the Tories were in opposition. Now they're the government, and governments tend to see things, shall we say, differently.

The Tory record on civil liberties is not good- no better than Labour's really: The Criminal Justice and Public Order Act (1994); The Official Secrets Act (1989); the media ban on Sinn Fein. Not the actions of a governing party with liberty in mind.

The Lib Dems are the jokers in the pack here. If the Tories do act to curb state power, then in all likelihood it'll be pressure from their coalition allies that makes them do it.

Dretlin

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "Dretlin"I remember hearing this on the radio - and to be honest I thought it was  a piss take!
It's hooked my wife good and proper!

haha.

One law they mentioned on the radio was: not reporting a grey squirrel was illegal.

Yes, maybe time to fix issues like that.