Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Mr. B

No politics, just a little philosophy, or solipsism. I don't know which.

Once upon a time I posed a question to my nephew. I said that since evolution is an ongoing process with no end and with the understanding that animals do communicate with each other...which species do you think is now on the cusp of gaining self awareness? Think about it. As we destroy ourselves, nature will find a way to survive. The end of humanity is not necessarily the end of the world. What do you think the Tigers are telling each other about us? Are we gods to them? What if someday they develop the ability to communicate verbally? What if they learn to read and write? What are they going to tell their children about us?

Seems lately that maybe my question was misapplied. Perhaps I should have been asking that question about AI.

What will computers think of us once they become self aware?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Davin

I'm still on a retro wave kick.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

Not sure if a lot of folks here like Moby, but I really, really love this live version of "The Perfect Life".

Starting with the crowd participation in the beginning, especially as Moby's guitar player leads the crowd in a practice run of the chorus, singing kind of softly, sort of "off key" as he finds his range (.22 mark); and then the song really kicks off at the (2:42 mark) as Mindy Jones beautiful and powerful voice kicks in (She finishes the song off even stronger, simply an amazing singer and talent)

I also really enjoy Moby's guitar solo around the 5:10 mark, it's a beautiful accompaniment to the song. Sure compared to other guitar players he probably not as accomplished or technically gifted, and he makes a few small mistakes in the solo, but I guess that's what I really like about it, sort of raw and inspirational, like the song itself.

Anyway I find the song uplifting, it certainly can help lift you out of doldrums or gloomy guss of life....leastways it does me 8)

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Mia Doi Todd

Save Me....haunting.

Magdalena

One more time.
Why the hell not!?

No one

Perhaps the most beautiful voice I have ever heard.

Magdalena

^^^
Father Bruno, No one...those are nice.  :tellmemore:
(The videos you posted)

:secrets1: I have to be specific now because last time Arturo had some dirty images, in his head, about something I said to Davin and Tom62. :shifty:

Anyways, thank you for posting them.  :)

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: No one on April 28, 2017, 05:32:43 AM

Yeah Iz is cool, I remember the first time I heard one of his songs, it was used in an NPR story as background music, and I was so taken by his voice and melody that I had to find out who he was by researching the NPR story. (Before Shazam)
I think it was his cover of What a Wonderful World.

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on April 28, 2017, 06:56:27 AM
^^^
Father Bruno, No one...those are nice.  :tellmemore:
(The videos you posted)

:secrets1: I have to be specific now because last time Arturo had some dirty images, in his head, about something I said to Davin and Tom62. :shifty:

Anyways, thank you for posting them.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfUM5xHUY4M
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on April 27, 2017, 10:52:11 PM
One more time.
Why the hell not!?

I like Twenty One Pilots.  Their song 'Stressed Out' is also good. 8)

Quote from: No one on April 28, 2017, 05:32:43 AM

I agree. I love that song.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey