News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Quote from: jumbojak on April 26, 2018, 01:14:41 AM

Cutting myself earlier today showed me that my sharpening technique is just about perfect, ...
You're one for silver linings, aren't you...

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

jumbojak

I'm trying to be a more positive sort of guy.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on April 26, 2018, 07:49:03 PM
I'm trying to be a more positive sort of guy.

Yeah, wsy to do it!

Just watch them there windmills though, can be nasty buggers if they get the wind up! Liable to turn on you.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Buddy

I was browsing postings on my work's job board today because we were slow and there were quite a few that I was qualified for in the Harrisburg PA area. It took a lot of willpower to not apply for all of them. I want to move out there so bad. I was okay with leaving it alone until my boyfriend was like, let's look at houses for fun aannd there are actually a few decent ones that we could afford.

The rational part of my brain was telling me that now is not the time for house hunting and that I need to pay my car off a bit and settle into my current job a bit more

The impulsive part of me wants to have my own house and a dog

We've decided that we will revisit the idea next year when our lease is up.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

jumbojak

He seems intent on staying, despite the fact that you are intent on moving.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on April 27, 2018, 02:10:41 AM

We've decided that we will revisit the idea next year when our lease is up.
May I suggest this is not a great idea. Never ever put yourself under avoidable time stress. If you wait then you will have to make choices out of necessity and need, this will limit your opportunities and put you on the back foot in negotiations. You're a first time buyer which makes you a valuable commodity to the lender and the seller. You'll only be a first time buyer once. Don't throw that value away. Just go visit properties you have no intention of buying then you learn to say 'No'. Get used to what real estate agents do and say. The tricks they use etc. Learn now so you do not get bitten in the future. Get to know a few real estate agents so you know how to 'read them'. Get to know how your partner does in a negotiation situation. Discuss what was right and wrong about the places you visit. Understand what you are both looking for so you don't end up somewhere one of you hates.

Don't waste the next 12 months, use it to learn about what you want and how to get it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

QuoteDon't waste the next 12 months, use it to learn about what you want and how to get it.
Wise words, Tank.

Yes, Buddy, talk gently until you are both singing the same song.

Buddy

No we are both on board with moving and he's totally okay with finding another job. I am the one who thinks that right now isn't the best time. I want to stay with the branch I am working at a few more months before I start looking to transfer.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on April 27, 2018, 01:47:58 PM
No we are both on board with moving and he's totally okay with finding another job. I am the one who thinks that right now isn't the best time. I want to stay with the branch I am working at a few more months before I start looking to transfer.
That's fine, but now is the time to learn about the house and moving market. Not 2 weeks before you have to do it for the first time. :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

Sounds good  :thumbsup:

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on April 27, 2018, 02:04:57 PM
That's fine, but now is the time to learn about the house and moving market. Not 2 weeks before you have to do it for the first time. :D

Yeahhh that's probably a good idea. There are a few openings for mortgage loan officers in my area that I am thinking about pursuing in the future.

Davin

Quote from: Buddy on April 27, 2018, 02:13:25 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 27, 2018, 02:04:57 PM

Yeahhh that's probably a good idea. There are a few openings for mortgage loan officers in my area that I am thinking about pursuing in the future.
My GF and I were looking at houses for more than a year before we bought a house. We looked on our own at houses that were on sale, went to a few open houses (not something you should do before you get a realtor unless you don't want the house, because by going to an open house the realtor there, the one selling the house becomes your realtor to buy the house and they won't likely have your best interests at heart when it comes to the price of the house), and we got a realtor and looked at houses in earnest for about eight weeks before we found one that mostly suited us. It took another month to close. And it took another month and a half to work on the house before we moved in. All of that was not time I figured on when looking for a house. I thought maybe a few months, but it was intense from late December until we moved in. But part of that was that we painted the inside of the house and laid 900 sqft of tile (much easier to do that without furniture in it). Our apartment lease was up in August and we moved in at the end of May, we gave them the month's notice as per the contract and paid the early cancellation fee.

That's the short version. So I agree with the other advice. Table it, but not completely, keep your eye out. Maybe about four to six months to your lease being up get a realtor and start viewing houses. We saw some really weird shit.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Buddy

That's good to know. Thanks Davin! Our lease this year is up in June and we are renewing so we will probably be aiming for June of next year. I am lucky because even though Pennsylvania is pretty far from Indiana, the area we are looking in is about 8 miles from my family and they know the area well. I will also most likely go though my bank for the mortgage because I get discounts on rates.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on April 27, 2018, 03:16:04 PM
That's good to know. Thanks Davin! Our lease this year is up in June and we are renewing so we will probably be aiming for June of next year. I am lucky because even though Pennsylvania is pretty far from Indiana, the area we are looking in is about 8 miles from my family and they know the area well. I will also most likely go though my bank for the mortgage because I get discounts on rates.
If you are thinking of going to an area go to the local police station and ask them about the places they would or would not live in. They have no axe to grind and know the bad areas.