Human Rights

Started by xSilverPhinx, September 14, 2017, 02:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on September 14, 2017, 04:14:11 PM
Carlin is funny.

Sometimes when we talk about abstract things like rights, some people get stuck in a solipsistic like area where "it depends on how you look at it, man."  I'll rant about that for a bit. Is bread really food if you don't eat it? Is money really worth something if people could just immediately stop accepting it? Are rights really rights if they can be taken away? Is something really yours if it can be stolen? These are all the same kind of thinking.

When we're young, we tend to think things are solid, well defined, and self-evident. That's how we're taught things, and that's not a bad thing because we're being introduced to new things. That's how it tends to be for pretty much everything new that we learn. But as we grow up and learn more, we should start seeing that things are less certain, that not everything falls into clearly defined boxes, and that sometimes things only seem self-evident because we lack information.

Going down the solipsistic path is as useless as going down the path of thinking everything is black and white. So we don't have rights in the same way that we don't have personal property.

----/rant----

Rights are granted or denied by governments. Take marriage equality for one thing. To me, I think it should just be allowed to any two consenting adults. But that does affect governments because marriage is a legal institution. So governments have to allow it before it becomes a right.

However, that doesn't mean that we just live with whatever the government says on the issue. There are good reasons to allow marriage equality and no good reasons to deny it. Based on the harm done to partners who are not allowed to marry, and that no one is harmed by allowing them to marry, it is a right that should be allowed and supported by the government.

I think that's how rights should be decided on.

Yes but haven't you ever heard of some religious people vomiting the tired old argument that gay marriage is an offense against their god?  :fingertap:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 15, 2017, 02:17:58 AM
Yes but haven't you ever heard of some religious people vomiting the tired old argument that gay marriage is an offense against their god?  :fingertap:
They don't have to do it if they don't want to. If that's a good enough reason for them, no problem. However that's not a good enough reason to prevent other people from doing it. Is what I usually say to them. That or, "keep your religion off of my dick."
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

No one

It's really quite simple, if you are against gay marriage, don't have one.