News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Talk About Star Wars With All the Spoilers You Want

Started by Pasta Chick, December 19, 2015, 03:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Pasta Chick

What manner of dark and insidious pancakery is this?! Those are not the light and fluffy pancakes I'm looking for!

Velma

We saw this for the second time tonight. It seems to me that male Skywalkers are a bunch of whiners who either give up or go to the Dark side when things do not go the way they want. Leia keeps going and has rejected the Dark side no matter what happens in her life. She doesn't get nearly enough credit for her strength.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Claireliontamer

So I FINALLY saw this last night on DVD.  I absolutely loved it, even if I knew what was going to happen because it was impossible to avoid all the spoilers.  I would have loved to have seen it in the cinema without knowing what was going to happen but whatever, it was still good.

I actually watched it with scamp.  She's seven but she has seen bits of the original 3, I refuse to make her suffer through the prequels.  I was a little worried that she's only 7 and this is rated a '12' here.  I don't really know if it needed to be a 12 rating, she certainly handled it and is going round today pretending to be Rey.  She was even more excited when she found out the actress who plays Rey shares her real name so I may have bred the next Jedi ;)  She's also in love with BB8 and I actually squealed when R2D2 came back!  I enjoyed the nostalgia that it brought in from the originals, I liked Rey as a strong female character and I liked the cheesiness of there being another 'I'm your father' type storyline. 

Is it the best movie I've ever seen, nah.  But it was for me Star Wars back to what it should be.  Now can we pretend episodes I-III just didn't happen. 

Pasta Chick

It was no more violent than the originals, aside from there being visible blood. At least in the States, where its PG13, there was no such rating when the originals were released, which explains the disparity here.

I thought they did well creating a story line that could be followed by children, but wasn't so dumbed down that adults would be disinterested.

Pasta Chick

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Firebird

It does indeed. Who would've thought Disney would the be the savior of Star Wars, or Marvel? (ok, the Marvel movies have varied in quality, but still)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Pasta Chick

To be honest I think it looks more interesting than Force Awakens.

And I'm sure Disney will produce some flops too, although Lucas set the bar pretty low.

MON MOTHMA THOUGH!!!!

I'm going to be so pissed if they Phasma her out of this movie.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Pasta Chick

^ :lol:

I'm hoping Disney is going to get deeper into some of the "grey" plot lines of EU (like a mercenary hired by the rebellion turning to the Empire) rather than the black and white Vader=bad; Luke=good. I think that was a powerful tool for the first movie, but as soon as the story starts to expand it becomes nonsensical and boring. I think that's part of why the prequals were so terrible. They didn't really make sense.

Firebird

Quote from: Pasta Chick on April 25, 2016, 02:01:02 PM
^ :lol:

I'm hoping Disney is going to get deeper into some of the "grey" plot lines of EU (like a mercenary hired by the rebellion turning to the Empire) rather than the black and white Vader=bad; Luke=good. I think that was a powerful tool for the first movie, but as soon as the story starts to expand it becomes nonsensical and boring. I think that's part of why the prequals were so terrible. They didn't really make sense.

So I'm curious, does it bother you at all that they tossed the original EU, since I know you read a lot of the books? I read a bunch too, but I stopped after the New Jedi Order because I didn't feel like there was much more original that could be done (and from what I heard, I was right). And I was a little sad that it got tossed, but admittedly the quality varied a lot; there were some great stories and characters introduced, and then some shit like Barbara Hambly.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Davin

Quote from: Firebird on April 25, 2016, 03:54:46 PM
So I'm curious, does it bother you at all that they tossed the original EU, since I know you read a lot of the books? I read a bunch too, but I stopped after the New Jedi Order because I didn't feel like there was much more original that could be done (and from what I heard, I was right). And I was a little sad that it got tossed, but admittedly the quality varied a lot; there were some great stories and characters introduced, and then some shit like Barbara Hambly.
You asked someone else, but I want to answer too because I read a lot of the EU books. I don't mind at all that they cut it out. The books still exist, and I still remember most of it, so it's not like they wiped it out of existence. It's just like a parallel universe. A lot like how the new Star Trek movies got rid of their EU by doing the whole time travel thing, except that in Star Wars they didn't give an "in world" explanation of why they threw away their EU. Though in Star Trek they threw away not just the EU, they threw away the entire universe beyond Enterprise.

The other thing with tossing aside the EU, is that they can still use it, even if they have to rewrite it a bit to fit the new canon. The characters can still come to be.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.