News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Question for Struggling Atheists

Started by xSilverPhinx, January 18, 2012, 03:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: Genericguy on January 20, 2012, 08:55:28 PM
Struggling atheist, it seems many people here feel your not being honest. I think I have a solution. The following is a quote from you in another thread...

"Im somewhat of a struggling Atheist  in my pursuit of seeking truth and am no longer concretely committed to atheism or any other religious worldview for that matter..."

You only use Christianity as an alternative to atheism. If instead you used Islam, then that might help ease our suspicions.

If people in here focused on Islam , then id be responding accordingly. But atheists blast the Christian Faith almost exclusively in here , so if they show a misconception I will bring them the truth from a Christian perspective.   At this point in my life,  I see an atheistic worldview as painfully lacking logic and I see an abundance of atheists  grossly militant toward Christians and Theists  . I also see nearly all Atheists as being that way for personal philosophical reasons and  void of hard core evidence scientifically --  nearly every crime is done by Perpetrators who hold to moral relativism  which is an atheist ideology.....and not from any World Religion .   Should i post all of my grieviences about atheism in a fresh thread for you to evaluate ?  Would the Forum Administrators even allow that (?)

Ali

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 20, 2012, 10:58:41 PM
nearly every crime is done by Perpetrators who hold to moral relativism  which is an atheist ideology.....and not from any World Religion .   
*Holds sides and laughs.*

Aaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You're funny.

Wait, you're joking right?

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: Ali on January 20, 2012, 11:15:09 PM
nearly every crime is done by Perpetrators who hold to moral relativism  which is an atheist ideology.....and not from any World Religion .   
*Holds sides and laughs.*

Aaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You're funny.

Wait, you're joking right?

I wish i were.  Here...meditate on this :   ManMade  'morals'  (relative to what he feels like, if any)  =   Any behavior is permissible.    What else could you possibly expect from a moral-relativistic ideology ??   Complete adherence to  high morals and ethics ??!!!!      Why do you think atheism is really so desirable ?  Its because it offers maximized freedom to behave as one wishes ;  even the Forum Administrators with their 'F. this and F that'  verbage  is confirmation enough.   Atheism from a sociological standpoint, has to be THE greatest detriment to any society  because of no moral rudder  wanted ...  a ship going in circles.   I dont want to be an Atheist ;  you dont really want the ideologies of atheism in your society either -- they only spell trouble for you and your loved ones down the road.  ie:  1 in 4 women will be assaulted sometime in their life (courtesy of some freethinking atheist who doesnt want to hear about whats right from wrong) .   

Recusant

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 20, 2012, 10:58:41 PMIf people in here focused on Islam , then id be responding accordingly. But atheists blast the Christian Faith almost exclusively in here , so if they show a misconception I will bring them the truth from a Christian perspective.

Members of this forum discuss Islam with Muslims (and there have been a number of Muslim members in the years that I've been here) and Christianity with Christians. It so happens that discussions in which you are involved are focused on Christianity. People have drawn their own conclusions, rightly or wrongly.

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 20, 2012, 10:58:41 PMAt this point in my life,  I see an atheistic worldview as painfully lacking logic and I see an abundance of atheists  grossly militant toward Christians and Theists  .

I got your "grossly militant" right here, pal.

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 20, 2012, 10:58:41 PMI also see nearly all Atheists as being that way for personal philosophical reasons and  void of hard core evidence scientifically --  nearly every crime is done by Perpetrators who hold to moral relativism  which is an atheist ideology.....and not from any World Religion .
This is funny stuff. Atheists are a tiny percentage of the prison population in the US; much smaller than the percentage of atheists in the general population. There may be a number of reasons for that, but to say that "atheist ideology" is behind crime is absurd on its face. How do you know what is in the mind of "nearly every crim[inal]"?

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 20, 2012, 10:58:41 PMShould i post all of my grieviences about atheism in a fresh thread for you to evaluate ?  Would the Forum Administrators even allow that (?)

That would be good for a few laughs, but you already have a lot on your plate, including a whole thread dedicated to your version of the history of the US that you've been ignoring.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Whitney

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 20, 2012, 06:23:54 PM
us responsible for our actions ; 

We are responsible for our actions even if there isn't a god.

xSilverPhinx

If atheism is so sociologically morally degenerate, then why do secular societies are generally better off than religious?

Fact is, it tends to be the opposite really. The more religious a society, the worse off it is.

(And I'm going to mention that Communist Russia and China both had a cult of personality thing going before you bring them up as all theists do, which makes it slightly different from the philosophies that most atheists that are not in Russia or China share)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Whitney

Quote from: Genericguy on January 20, 2012, 08:55:28 PM
Struggling atheist, it seems many people here feel your not being honest. I think I have a solution. The following is a quote from you in another thread...

"Im somewhat of a struggling Atheist  in my pursuit of seeking truth and am no longer concretely committed to atheism or any other religious worldview for that matter..."

You only use Christianity as an alternative to atheism. If instead you used Islam, then that might help ease our suspicions.

If people in here focused on Islam , then id be responding accordingly. But atheists blast the Christian Faith almost exclusively in here , so if they show a misconception I will bring them the truth from a Christian perspective.   At this point in my life,  I see an atheistic worldview as painfully lacking logic and I see an abundance of atheists  grossly militant toward Christians and Theists  . I also see nearly all Atheists as being that way for personal philosophical reasons and  void of hard core evidence scientifically --  nearly every crime is done by Perpetrators who hold to moral relativism  which is an atheist ideology.....and not from any World Religion .   Should i post all of my grieviences about atheism in a fresh thread for you to evaluate ?  Would the Forum Administrators even allow that (?)

Yes you should...and what do you want your new screen name to be (you don't want me to pick for you, trust me on that) since your current one is a lie and confuses people as to your intentions?

Btw, after giving me your new screen name you'll have to use it to log in.  
Let me know by tomorrow central time.  Fyi, if I pick it will be "Liar For Jesus".

Under SMF  you keep using your old screen name even if the display name changes...just rememberd that from when I had mine changed on another SMF forum.

xSilverPhinx

Guardian85

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 20, 2012, 11:44:50 PM
If atheism is so sociologically morally degenerate, then why do secular societies are generally better off than religious?

Fact is, it tends to be the opposite really. The more religious a society, the worse off it is.

(And I'm going to mention that Communist Russia and China both had a cult of personality thing going before you bring them up as all theists do, which makes it slightly different from the philosophies that most atheists that are not in Russia or China share)

This clip shows some statistics to back up up SilverPhienix's comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdtwTeBPYQA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 20, 2012, 11:53:41 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 20, 2012, 11:44:50 PM

This clip shows some statistics to back up up SilverPhienix's comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdtwTeBPYQA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Thanks for that, I'm feeling particularly lazy today. ;D

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Whitney

Since I kinda doubt he'll respond, it doesn't affect his login, and I plan to be busy...going to change his screen name now.

Struggling Atheist will henceforth be known as Liar For Jesus until he offers up another appropriate screen name.  I'm assuming he's a chrsitian since everything he's put forward is related to the christian faith.

SA, consider this your punishment for misrepresenting yourself...I have known for quite some time but was waiting for you to fully hang yourself before doing anything.

Ali

Yep.  Look up crime rates by religion, prison population by religion, peace index by religion, and it all paints a pretty compelling argument in the opposite direction - atheists commit LESS crime and are more peaceful than their theist counterparts.

I have a theory about why that is.  Religion, like the law, is an external control system.  With religion, you are good because you fear the consequences of being bad (hell, or whatever.)  Just like with the law, you follow it for fear of going to jail.  Those are external control systems, and they aren't as effective - they tend to collapse under pressure.

Atheists have to develop an internalized control system.  We have to think about what is good, and what is bad, and why.  Most of us rely on logic and empathy to make those decisions, and we internalize them.  Internal control systems are more reliable, because they run deeper.  We know what is good and bad, and why, and we are less likely to throw that knowledge aside under pressure because it becomes a part of our identity.  Being good is not something that I do, it is who I am. 

Sweetdeath

I think a lot more violent people are religious because they don't fear the afterlife. My dad told me if you repent to jesus, all your earthy crimes are forgiven.
That really annoyed me.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Genericguy on January 20, 2012, 08:12:59 PMI always think of this quote by mark twain.... "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

That sounds clever but it doesn't really offer any solace.
You don't exist and then you do.
Death is the taking away of something I have, it screws with my plans, I consider this an inconvenience.

Julian Barnes says before his birth the universe was working up to its greatest moment, him.
I don't remember his exact words but before him the universe had potential, after he dies it is all a pointless anticlimax.