News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Im going to hell

Started by Xiilent, March 27, 2012, 12:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xiilent

So, on saturday i was at a school function with a "friend" who is christian. I don't remember how things led up to this, but he just said completely bluntly "You're going to hell". I don't normally get mad about a religious debate, but for some reason that just got me really angry. The fact that he really truely believes that just blows my mind how naive someone can be. To accuse me of going to eternal misery just because I don't believe in his god. He's atheist to all the other religions gods, i just go one god further. I got that from Richard Dawkins if anyone didn't know that xD But anyway, am I right to be this mad about this? Obviously I'm not going to punch the kid, I'm just agitated. All i said after that was "it's people like you..." and i couldn't finish it because there wasn't really any one thing i could say at the moment. So yea. Has anything like this happened to anyone else, and what were your reactions?

ThinkAnarchy

I get told that by my family, but I know the motivation behind there saying it is based on love. It annoys me in that situation, but doesn't piss me off.

From what you described, it sounds like he said it out of anger, hate, or due to losing the argument. I think you're justified in being annoyed with him and commend you for leaving it where you did.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Crow

Nope never, but I would embrace it if it ever did happen and give me some excuse to insult and offend them to the best of my ability, which is something I never do intentionally but actually very good at doing so. Perhaps I may just give a smile with a sparkle in my eye and say "yes, yes I am", and hopefully that would freak the nutter out.
Retired member.

Buddy

"Oh I'm going to Hell? Well, I will make sure to save a spot for you. ;)"
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xSilverPhinx

IMO you're perfectly justified to be really pissed off. I just ignore such comments though, like you said, they come off as incredibly naive and really not worth bothering about.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ali

Ah, the Christian Trump Card.  When you lose a debate/can't back up your assertions with facts/feel butthurt that someone isn't immediately taken with your special friend, just threaten hell.  That'll shut 'em up!

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Xiilent on March 27, 2012, 12:27:53 AM
Has anything like this happened to anyone else, and what were your reactions?

Never happened to me, but I remember hearing a bible-thumper on a bus saying it to another passenger.  I wish I could remember the reply word for word, because it was quite funny, but it was something to do with him being too busy shaking hands with all his friends and family to be sorry about it.

I do have a reply ready tho:  "yes, I know.  I'm Satan's pastry chef."

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Guardian85

Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 27, 2012, 12:57:50 AM
"Oh I'm going to Hell? Well, I will make sure to save a spot for you. ;)"

"Oh. Well, bring BBQ sauce."

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Melmoth

"You're going to hell, you know."

"I would rather spend eternity writhing in the agony of hellfire than in the company of a God who would inflict that on others."
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

Amicale

If someone said it out of 'love' as in, "I believe you're going to hell but I really don't want to you!" I'd be able to have a talk with them, no problem. Having been Christian, I know where that mentality comes from. If someone said "you're going to hell" in judgement, anger, etc, my response would be somewhere along the lines of "According to the world's many different religions, we're all going to someone's hell. You too. Maybe I'll see you in one of them! I'll wave hi if I see you!"

Long ago, I exchanged serious debate and taking offense to just simple snark and sarcasm.  :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Amicale

Quote from: Melmoth on March 27, 2012, 07:29:43 AM
"You're going to hell, you know."

"I would rather spend eternity writhing in the agony of hellfire than in the company of a God who would inflict that on others."

Yep. If given the choice to be one of the 'damned', or to fall at the feet of the one doing the damning and worship him, I'll take the first option. I'd be in good company. Some of the world's kindest, smartest, most loving people would be there getting damned with me. Go figure!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Guardian85

Misunderstand me correctly, but I would rather be a friend of Satan then a servant of Yahwee.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Quote from: Xiilent on March 27, 2012, 12:27:53 AM
So, on saturday i was at a school function with a "friend" who is christian. I don't remember how things led up to this, but he just said completely bluntly "You're going to hell". I don't normally get mad about a religious debate, but for some reason that just got me really angry. The fact that he really truely believes that just blows my mind how naive someone can be. To accuse me of going to eternal misery just because I don't believe in his god. He's atheist to all the other religions gods, i just go one god further. I got that from Richard Dawkins if anyone didn't know that xD But anyway, am I right to be this mad about this? Obviously I'm not going to punch the kid, I'm just agitated. All i said after that was "it's people like you..." and i couldn't finish it because there wasn't really any one thing i could say at the moment. So yea. Has anything like this happened to anyone else, and what were your reactions?
People react differently, and I, for one, have no trouble laughing it off. However, for personal satisfaction, I would consider insulting the asshole in a few very creative ways.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Too Few Lions

...or tell them that hell is a place reserved solely for assholes who tell others that they're going there.

Asmodean

Quote from: Too Few Lions on March 27, 2012, 11:25:41 AM
...or tell them that hell is a place reserved solely for assholes who tell others that they're going there.
I prefer my version.

"Yup. Going straight to hell. And there, I shall have me a job of roasting people like you on a spit. Forever.  :D "
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.