News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

problem logging in

Started by MariaEvri, December 29, 2010, 05:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MariaEvri

hey all
I tried logging in the forum last night, but even though it was my first attempt, I got this message

You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to enter the confirm code from the image you see below.

I had to log in by typing a security code.

Today, when I tried to log in again, I got the same message

anyone knows whats going on?

I use mozilla firefox btw
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Tank

Quote from: "MariaEvri"hey all
I tried logging in the forum last night, but even though it was my first attempt, I got this message

You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to enter the confirm code from the image you see below.

I had to log in by typing a security code.

Today, when I tried to log in again, I got the same message

anyone knows whats going on?

I use mozilla firefox btw
I got that message once yesterday as well. Never had the problem before.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ihateyoumike

Same here. Let me log in just fine after i put in the security code, but was really weird.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

McQ

Interesting. Sorry for the snag. This has now also happened to me a couple of times in the last few days. I alerted Whitney to the issue and she will check on it. She or I will get back to everyone with some info as soon as we figure out what is going on.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Asmodean

Possible account theft attempt.

For those of you who believe in lifetime passwords, it might be a good idea to change them... Even though such are notoriously hard to crack in many cases.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: "Asmodean"Possible account theft attempt.

For those of you who believe in lifetime passwords, it might be a good idea to change them... Even though such are notoriously hard to crack in many cases.
Interesting. I just had the problem again, second time. It would be particularly important if Whitney or any of the staff have had the problem and McQ has already noted that he has had this problem.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

It happened to me too...not sure what I can do to stop it since anyone can look at the member list and try to log in as someone else by guessing the password.

I suggest that anyone who has an easy to guess password changes it to something hard and completely unrelated to their username, atheism or anything else someone might be able to guess.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Whitney"It happened to me too...not sure what I can do to stop it since anyone can look at the member list and try to log in as someone else by guessing the password.

I suggest that anyone who has an easy to guess password changes it to something hard and completely unrelated to their username, atheism or anything else someone might be able to guess.
Damn!  Mine was "username".

McQ

Yes, I would advise folks to make sure their passwords are a bit difficult to get a hold of. Mine is now encrypted pretty well and I don't think it's going to be an issue for me. But keep an eye on your profiles, and let us know if anything weird happens with your accounts.
Thanks!
--Penn Jillette

KDbeads

So since I'm not having a problem.... I guess I'm good huh?  lol
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Asmodean

Examples of weak passwords:

hotdog
CrOwN
l8r

Examples of mediocre passwords:

xX0KiSSES0Xx
14theRoad

A mediocre password is usually sufficient on forums, but a strong one is recommended.

Examples of strong passwords:

My1nAMe9IS7Alex3

This password like this is easy enough to remember but hard to crack. A birth year is split in place of space bars and at the end (No, I'm not a 1973 model. Example). Capital letters form the word "mama"

Please do not use this exact setup - it is meant to provide you with an idea of how to create a strong password. Such passwords are not 100% secure, however, unless you want a random sequence of numbers and letters to jealously guard in your house vault and forget every second login, they are the way to go.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

joeactor

Yeah, something's up.  Got the same security message when I logged out and back in.

Also got logged off automatically after a bit.

Password changed just in case...

McQ

There are good password generator programs and encryption programs available too.

1 Password is a very good one, and it syncs your passwords among your devices, such as iPhone/Desktop/iPad, etc. It uses very high grade encryption and won't get hacked easily, if at all.
--Penn Jillette

The Magic Pudding

I had the problem about 12 hours ago, it's was OK on last attempt.
Those security codes have gotten a lot harder, case sensitive hmm.
If they get much more difficult I will have trouble maintaining my human status.

Asmodean

What evil people do, is set keycrackers at work. A keycracker is an automated program which tries to crack a password usually over the course of hours or even days. The built-in countermeasures prevent such programs from being too successful because of the manually entered security code, but they can get lucky after multiple attempts on an unchanged password.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.