Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Attn: ANY Administrator

Started by Liar For Jesus, January 21, 2012, 01:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: Scissorlegs on January 21, 2012, 08:52:11 AM

...And that display really advances the Atheist cause, Tank!  :-\

FFS, deserved or not, this is not a befitting demeanour.

So, yet another misguided individual expresses his views on this forum and manages to whip you all up into a frenzy. He's the winner here people. He's just demonstrated perfectly what Christians believe about Atheists.

Given that we think Atheists are more civilised than the religious, why don't we act like it?!

Shame.

I don't think that's fair on several accounts.  First of all, I am entirely certain that this person lied to us and misrepresented himself.  I for one don't care if someone is a Christian on this forum - if they are honest about who they are and what they believe, and maintain some modicum of respect for me, then I will gladly do the same.  For example, I like AnimatedDirt.  I can't always debate with him because our debates tend to go in circles, but I like him and wouldn't call him names or anything like that.  Many of us tried to be patient with LFJ, tried to rationally talk out his prejudices and problems with atheism, while in the meantime, he continually indulged in disgustingly bigoted rants against both homosexuals and atheists.  He wasn't here to learn anything or engage in any sort of reasoned debate; he already had his mind made up that gays and atheists are evil and he was here to tell us about it until we kicked him out.  So fuck him.

Second of all, I resent the idea that as an atheist I have to bend over backwards to the extent of tolerating bigotry being thrown in my face just to prove to Christians that I'm a nice person.  If they are walking around thinking that anyone who doesn't believe exactly as they believe must be evil, that's on them, that's not on me.  I'm not in the business of tolerating their jack-assery just to ingratiate myself to people who would be just as happy to hate me without reason.

You know what that's like?  I don't know how many of you can relate to this, but in the Hispanic community there are some people (usually of the older generation) who have so internalized the racism directed at them that they are desperate to prove that they aren't one of those Mexicans.  They are one of the good ones.  This usually manifests itself in going along with the racist zenophobic party line and calling other Mexicans "wetbacks" and praising those of us who can "pass."  It's because they believe what they've been told about their own people, that we're ugly and lazy and criminals.  Well you know what?  Fuck that, and fuck this.  We atheists don't have anything to "prove."  We're just normal people who don't like to be lied to and insulted.  Fuck LFJ and fuck anyone else who looks at this and thinks that we are the ones that are in the wrong. 

Guardian85

Quote from: Ali on January 21, 2012, 03:56:08 PM
Second of all, I resent the idea that as an atheist I have to bend over backwards to the extent of tolerating bigotry being thrown in my face just to prove to Christians that I'm a nice person.  If they are walking around thinking that anyone who doesn't believe exactly as they believe must be evil, that's on them, that's not on me.  I'm not in the business of tolerating their jack-assery just to ingratiate myself to people who would be just as happy to hate me without reason.

Agreed. I give people the benefit of the doubt in the beginning, then give respect where respect is earned. No one gets a free pass after the first exchange.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Traveler

I wish we had a +1 button Ali. I agree with you completely.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Buddy

I love you guys, seriously.  ;D 
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 21, 2012, 04:38:38 PM
I love you guys, seriously.  ;D  

Ye we are cool aren't we.
We execute someone
Do a little dance
question if we should dance
logically prove that we should
and dance on more merrily than before

Ali

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 21, 2012, 04:44:15 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 21, 2012, 04:38:38 PM
I love you guys, seriously.  ;D 

Ye we are cool aren't we.
We execute someone
Do a little dance
question if we should dance
logically prove that we should
and dance on more merrily than before

This is us.  The songs are even kind of appropriate. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq-EK5bZASI&feature=related

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: Traveler on January 21, 2012, 03:56:52 AM
Good riddance to bad garbage.

And since you're probably still reading this I'll simply add that the worst, most evil, obnoxious douche bags I have ever known in real life have been conservative christians. An elder in his church who sexually harrassed a bunch of women at my place of work. A minister who sexually molested his sons, grandsons, and boys in his church. Drug addicts, peeping toms ... the list goes on.

And the atheists I know in real life? The kindest, most compassionate, most productive, and most wonderful human beings I have had the privilege to know.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
The Catholic priest where I am from decided that he would do something good for the world one day.  So he pulled up to an abortion clinic and took an axe to the door.  Nothing like stopping the killing of fetuses that can't even feel or think yet, like violence towards adults that can.  Some of the most ignorant evil people I have ever known were Christians.  When somebody told me my father was burning in eternal hellfire that was when I started to have a problem with Christian bullshit. Anybody who would sit there and tell you that a good man who has died is somewhere suffering for all eternity for his sins can go fuck themselves.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Amicale

Quote from: Robert on January 21, 2012, 06:20:28 PM

The Catholic priest where I am from decided that he would do something good for the world one day.  So he pulled up to an abortion clinic and took an axe to the door.  Nothing like stopping the killing of fetuses that can't even feel or think yet, like violence towards adults that can.  Some of the most ignorant evil people I have ever known were Christians.  When somebody told me my father was burning in eternal hellfire that was when I started to have a problem with Christian bullshit. Anybody who would sit there and tell you that a good man who has died is somewhere suffering for all eternity for his sins can go fuck themselves.

Robert, I'm sorry. People can be inconsiderate morons. The same thing basically happened to me, although not with a parent. A guy friend of mine died unexpectedly while he was still pretty young, and it shook me up badly. He was a funny, friendly, happy-go-lucky person, always bending over backwards to help others. Just a really considerate guy who everyone wanted to be around. So in my first year of university, just after all this happened, I was looking for some comfort and solace and I checked out a 'campus crusade for Christ' (I know, I know...) event that was being held. At one point, I just started crying, because I was still grieving. A few girls came up to me, asked what was wrong, and I told them. They asked if my friend had known Christ. I said no, he didn't, he was an atheist but a really wonderful guy. Their response? "We're so sorry your friend's in hell."

I sat there shocked for a moment, blurted out 'Hell??' and they proceeded to tell me there was no chance my friend would be anywhere good, and that because he'd rejected God, he was "unfortunately" burning in hell, and that's where he'd stay for all eternity. Well, for me, that was the slow beginning of me refusing to put up with religious crap. I didn't realize it at the time while I grabbed my stuff and stormed out the door, but later when I looked back I knew they couldn't have been more wrong if they'd tried. That opened the doors to a lot of questions, and nearly 10 years later, here I am.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Siz

OK, on my own here, but no problem.

Quote from: Tank on January 21, 2012, 11:07:32 AM
I have a biased view of this but from my point of view the forum is more important than any one member. SA came here with an agenda and he lied about what he wanted to do. Fuck him! Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for him.
Indeed. I don't defend his actions. But what has your little rant achieved? Nothing positive whatsoever, other than maybe an individualistic catharsis. Especially coming from a respected authority (yes, that's you BTW), such a display tarnishes the happy forum as a whole and can only be seen as counterproductive.

I respect your front-of-house and behind-the-scenes input, but while I know you do not assume to speak for everyone, for someone in your position it might be implicit to an outsider. With great power comes great responsibility...

Quote from: AliI resent the idea that as an atheist I have to bend over backwards to the extent of tolerating bigotry being thrown in my face just to prove to Christians that I'm a nice person.  If they are walking around thinking that anyone who doesn't believe exactly as they believe must be evil, that's on them, that's not on me.  I'm not in the business of tolerating their jack-assery just to ingratiate myself to people who would be just as happy to hate me without reason.
So, not tolerating someone requires lashing out??? This is playground politics. I'm proud to be a member here but if name-calling is your best defense against jack-assery then I'm in the wrong place.

Is not the current best-practice in troll-management to ignore them?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

Quote from: Scissorlegs on January 21, 2012, 09:39:27 PM
I respect your front-of-house and behind-the-scenes input, but while I know you do not assume to speak for everyone, for someone in your position it might be implicit to an outsider. With great power comes great responsibility...
Well, The Asmo is behind Tank on that one (Which in itself probably does more harm than good...). What he said was not in the slightest controversial by my standards.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

OK, on my own here, but no problem.

Quote from: Tank on January 21, 2012, 11:07:32 AM
I have a biased view of this but from my point of view the forum is more important than any one member. SA came here with an agenda and he lied about what he wanted to do. Fuck him! Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for him.
Indeed. I don't defend his actions. But what has your little rant achieved? Nothing positive whatsoever, other than maybe an individualistic catharsis. Especially coming from a respected authority (yes, that's you BTW), such a display tarnishes the happy forum as a whole and can only be seen as counterproductive.

I understand the point you were making, but at the end of the day I'm just a member who picked up a broom. Hence 'Forum Janitor' in my profile. The last thing a mod should do is start believing his/her own publicity. And yes is was childish and personally cathartic. Why? Because I'm just a bloke on the internet who get's pissed off with morons. Sometimes I don't live up to others expectation, and don't you dare stop pointing that out!  ;D

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 21, 2012, 09:44:43 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 21, 2012, 04:56:55 PM
This is us.  The songs are even kind of appropriate. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq-EK5bZASI&feature=related

I think my mind just blew.

Eh... The footwork was somewhat lamp post like, but overall, an ok show.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on January 21, 2012, 09:46:35 PM
I understand the point you were making, but at the end of the day I'm just a member who picked up a broom. Hence 'Forum Janitor' in my profile. The last thing a mod should do is start believing his/her own publicity. And yes is was childish and personally cathartic. Why? Because I'm just a bloke on the internet who get's pissed off with morons. Sometimes I don't live up to others expectation, and don't you dare stop pointing that out!  ;D

Tank in red: mod hat on. Tank in black: mod hat off. Simple, yes? That's how The Asmo knows when to use his anti-mod invisibility cloak.  ;D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Siz

Quote from: Asmodean on January 21, 2012, 09:44:58 PM
Well, The Asmo is behind Tank on that one (Which in itself probably does more harm than good...). What he said was not in the slightest controversial by my standards.

That's not a particularly weighty statement - luckily for us your standards do not proliferate... ;)

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!