News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Need support - boyfriend is Jehovah

Started by chrome, September 07, 2010, 03:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopShoot

All hail Cancer Jesus!

Parsifal

Quote from: "arjline06"Hi all, there are really instances that a religion can be a problem to a relationship. Religions have its own beliefs and in some situation it can really affected a relationship. Anyway, just always believe in God, in only one God.

Now that sums up neatly what an atheist/religiot relationship must be like from a religiot perspective.  The religiot will respect the atheist, so long as the atheist believes in God, in only one God.  Why only one, can't I at least believe in two more gods?  I would like to hedge my bets.
Please support follow my mammoth project to tweet the whole of Darwin's On the Origin of Species at https://twitter.com/OriginsTweeted.

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cy

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "arjline06"Hi all, there are really instances that a religion can be a problem to a relationship. Religions have its own beliefs and in some situation it can really affected a relationship. Anyway, just always believe in God, in only one God.
If I believed in god, I would ask her to help you with your sentence structure.
I don't think our relationship can continue without her intervention.

chrome

Hi All,

Thought I would come here and give you guys a bit of an update on how things are going....

Well my boyfriend and I are (surprisingly) getting along quite well at the moment. He has become a better person because of his faith and I have tried to be as understanding and accepting as I can... I mean we do have a few disagreements over religion when I bring up anything that opposes his beliefs or bring up Dawkins.

But I have actually started to read the bible and look into religion a lot more just so I can understand it better. I don't think I can call myself an Atheist without knowing about God, the bible and religion. Have learned a great deal lately. One that may surprise a lot of people is that the Witnesses are no more crazy than mainstream Christianity - especially to the people who have blind faith and are told what to believe.

Anyways I'm still trying to find my feet with all this... not sure what direction my partner and I are going at this point... I guess I'm just taking it one day at a time.

Thanks all for listening  ;)

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "chrome"Hi All,

Thought I would come here and give you guys a bit of an update on how things are going....

Well my boyfriend and I are (surprisingly) getting along quite well at the moment. He has become a better person because of his faith and I have tried to be as understanding and accepting as I can... I mean we do have a few disagreements over religion when I bring up anything that opposes his beliefs or bring up Dawkins.

But I have actually started to read the bible and look into religion a lot more just so I can understand it better. I don't think I can call myself an Atheist without knowing about God, the bible and religion. Have learned a great deal lately. One that may surprise a lot of people is that the Witnesses are no more crazy than mainstream Christianity - especially to the people who have blind faith and are told what to believe.

Anyways I'm still trying to find my feet with all this... not sure what direction my partner and I are going at this point... I guess I'm just taking it one day at a time.

Religion need only be a barrier if one of the partners makes it so.  If that is you, ask yourself why you're doing so.  If that is him, turn around and walk away.  

If neither partner makes it an issue, a way can be found.  Love, like fungus, is persistent.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

chrome

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Love, like fungus, is persistent.

:D hehe I love that analogy!

Thumpalumpacus

Illegitimi non carborundum.

PoopShoot

Quote from: "chrome"the Witnesses are no more crazy than mainstream Christianity - especially to the people who have blind faith and are told what to believe.
That depends on how you define "crazy".  JWs are forbidden from receiving blood transfusions and are highly revered if they're willing to kidnap a child who will receive a transfusion under a court order.  That sounds pretty crazy to me.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Tank

Thanks for the update, I was starting to wonder what was going on. Good to see you are coming to an accommodation. I second what Thump said, wise word there. I also think that the JWs can be considered some of the oddest of the odd, but if you can put that to one side then you never know what will happen. Good luck.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

deekayfry

Thanks all for listening  :)

Does this mean you will stop posting here? ;)  At lease we hope not...
I told the people of my district that I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but if not ... you may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.-  Davey Crockett, 1834

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.- Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

chrome

Quote from: "PoopShoot"That depends on how you define "crazy".  JWs are forbidden from receiving blood transfusions and are highly revered if they're willing to kidnap a child who will receive a transfusion under a court order.  That sounds pretty crazy to me.

Yup agreed that is crazy indeed... but my comment was that they are no more crazy than mainstream Christianity... they do a lot of whacked out things inside their churches!

Quote from: "Tank"Thanks for the update, I was starting to wonder what was going on. Good to see you are coming to an accommodation. I second what Thump said, wise word there. I also think that the JWs can be considered some of the oddest of the odd, but if you can put that to one side then you never know what will happen. Good luck.

aaawww cheers Tank... yeah things are getting better - although still think I'm way more tolerant and understanding of his beliefs than he is of mine. I made a comment to him recently about how he needs to be understanding of my beliefs too - and his response was 'understanding, understanding of what... you believe in nothing!' hmm  :)

Does this mean you will stop posting here? :D don't think you'll be getting rid of me that easy  ;) Nah I'll defiantly keep posting on here - everyone is so hospitable and friendly... plus all you guys make interesting conversation.

Category

Quote from: "SSY"...An intimate partner is one you make long term life decisions with, and I would not be willing to have my future affected by their irrational beliefs, nor the futures of any children we may have. And aside from all that, I do not want to rely on someone in a crisis who really believes that telepathically begging a magical sky daddy will help us when the shit hits the fan.

^^^ THIS. Perfectly sums up my own intro thread, where I describe the situation that literally scares me half to death seeing my girl fall even deeper into her faith when it was simply a depressing act of nature. I love her way too much to even consider leaving her over religious differences, but I feel like SSY in that I can't trust someone with a family or serious life decisions when 1) They hold an invisible man in the sky over their family (towards the beginning of the relationship she told me that the thing she loves most in life is God... I didn't take that as a sign of things to come)..... and 2), "when the shit hits the fan" and things start falling apart I'm not going to be the one keeping things together while she's on her knees praying for salvation.
I ask theists if God is omnipotent. They say yes.
I ask theists if God loves us. They say yes.
I read the news paper or look on the web or remember other people's sad stories or remember things that happened to me...and I see that no omnipotent entity loves us.
I ask theists if they can prove their god. They can't.
So, I have excellent reason to