News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Atheism and the holidays

Started by Libera, November 17, 2008, 03:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MariaEvri

Quote from: "rlrose328"And Santa isn't a Christian figure?  SAINT Nicholas?  ROFL!  Oh right... Catholics aren't Christian to the fundies and gellies.  :confused:

Ive read somewhere, that the santa we use today, the fat man dressed in red and white is actually an invention of coca cola D:
is this true??
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

rlrose328

Quote from: "MariaEvri"Ive read somewhere, that the santa we use today, the fat man dressed in red and white is actually an invention of coca cola D:
is this true??

Here is what I found on the History Channel:

QuoteIn 1822, Clement Clarke Moore, an Episcopal minister, wrote a long Christmas poem for his three daughters entitled, "An Account of a Visit from St. Nicholas." Moore's poem, which he was initially hesitant to publish due to the frivolous nature of its subject, is largely responsible for our modern image of Santa Claus as a "right jolly old elf" with a portly figure and the supernatural ability to ascend a chimney with a mere nod of his head! Although some of Moore's imagery was probably borrowed from other sources, his poem helped to popularize Christmas Eve â€" Santa Claus waiting for the children to get to sleep the now-familiar idea of a Santa Claus who flew from house to house on Christmas Eve â€" in "a miniature sleigh" led by eight flying reindeer, whom he also named â€" leaving presents for deserving children. "An Account of a Visit from St. Nicholas," created a new and immediately popular American icon. In 1881, political cartoonist Thomas Nast drew on Moore's poem to create the first likeness that matches our modern image of Santa Claus. His cartoon, which appeared in Harper's Weekly, depicted Santa as a rotund, cheerful man with a full, white beard, holding a sack laden with toys for lucky children. It is Nast who gave Santa his bright red suit trimmed with white fur, North Pole workshop, elves, and his wife, Mrs. Claus.

http://www.history.com/minisite.do?cont ... ni_id=1290

And from Wiki:

QuoteThe modern depiction of Santa Claus as a fat, jolly man wearing a red coat and trousers with white cuffs and collar, and black leather belt and boots, became popular in the United States in the 19th century due to the significant influence of caricaturist and political cartoonist Thomas Nast.[3] This image has been maintained and reinforced through song, radio, television, and films. In the United Kingdom and Europe, his depiction is often identical to the American Santa, but he is commonly called Father Christmas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus

Finally, a denial by Coke:

QuoteNo, Virginia, Santa Claus was not invented by the Coca-Cola Co.

The contention that Coke created the modern image of Santa in corporate red has become an urban myth in recent years. Recently, the BBC phoned Coca-Cola archivist Phil Mooney and put him on the radio to address the issue.

"I've heard more questions about it in the last five years than I ever did before," Mooney says. "I think it's the Internet."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2 ... iar-santa/
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Wechtlein Uns

"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

oldschooldoc

Wait, so he's not...real?  :(

I'm pretty sure a fat man who tells kids they've been naughty sneaking into my house at night may not live to see another day.

Just kidding, I enjoy krismis, as I call it (my name is Kris, but no I'm not a girl), and I think it's hilarious when little kids just brighten up at the thought of santa. I have a niece and nephew who get so adorable when you even mention his name.
OldSchoolDoc

"I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill" - Neil Peart
"Imagine there's no Heaven, it's easy if you try..." - John Lennon

rlrose328

I knew a "Kris" a long time ago... she was a girl, though.  Stole my jewelry box!  :beer:   We have an Atheismas tree decorated with microbes (Giant Microbes) and Atheisma (or Atheismo if you'd prefer a male) brings toys and gifts to all the good non-believers everywhere, filling up the beakers they leave by the fireplace (not on or in... that would be bad) with PopRocks and other fun goodies.    :banna:
**Kerri**

keith2004

I see no problem celebrating Christmas (exchange of gifts, spending time with family) despite my lack of belief in god or any of the religious aspects......i don't actually believe the whole "Christmas story" but the spirit of the holiday is nice

...I see at as harmless as wearing a Halloween costume to "celebrate" Halloween

as for easter...i dont have any kids so i'll pass....when i have kids maybe i will do the easter egg thing, just for the fun of it
[size=150] Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. - Anonymous[/size]

Kylyssa

Quote from: "rlrose328"Believers only get something if they let their kids believe in Atheisma.  Most won't though because then they'd have to explain how Atheisma isn't real and then the kids might think God isn't real... it would just be a big mess.

LOL

rlrose328

Quote from: "keith2004"as for easter...i dont have any kids so i'll pass....when i have kids maybe i will do the easter egg thing, just for the fun of it

That's what we do... we love coloring the eggs, finding some science in it.  The kid loves it... he's somewhat artistic, so he loves combining colors and designing with the wax crayon.  Then hubby hides the eggs all over the house and makes a map for the kid to follow.  He's a little directionally impaired... LOL!  So map reading is a good exercise for him and he LOVES it.  We almost didn't do it this year and you'd think we'd told the kid we were going to pull out his arms!  So we did it.  :-)
**Kerri**

oldschooldoc

Quote from: "rlrose328"I knew a "Kris" a long time ago... she was a girl, though.  Stole my jewelry box!  :blink:

I'm sorry to hear that...that b*tch...lol

Anyway, I really like the Atheismis idea, it's absolutely genius!
OldSchoolDoc

"I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill" - Neil Peart
"Imagine there's no Heaven, it's easy if you try..." - John Lennon

Wechtlein Uns

Let me guess, at the top of the tree there dangles his noodly appendage?

Great image.  :blush:
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

chuff

I think I should be allowed to celebrate whatever christian holiday I so choose. ;)
"Think as I think," said a man,
"Or you are abominably wicked;
You are a toad."

And after I had thought of it,
I said, "I will, then, be a toad."

-Stephen Crane

A Toad

Wechtlein Uns

why am I even posting in this? It's obviously a dead thread. stupid.  :brick:

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "chuff"I think I should be allowed to celebrate whatever christian holiday I so choose.

I agree  :banna:

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Wraitchel

Haven't we already got Festivus (for the rest of us) or Kwaanzaa. It all makes me so tired. I think christmas and hanukkah are quite enough to be getting on with, thank you.

curiosityandthecat

My holiday spirit is rather weak...

Here's my tree.

-Curio