News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

are you closed minded?

Started by quizlixx, September 08, 2008, 09:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pytheas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_that_I_know_nothing

Socrates begins all wisdom with wondering, thus one must begin with admitting one's ignorance.
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Thunder Road

This is the BS my family gave me when I told them I was an atheist.

"Keep an open mind" and "consider all opinions" they kept saying.  It's like they didn't understand that having an open mind, and considering all opinions, is exactly what made me into an atheist.

By agreeing to keep an open mind, I think I was duped into admitting that there's a chance that I'm wrong and they're right.  Argh.
"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see." -John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever

Freshman Meteorology major at Valparaiso University in Indiana and fan of exclusively classic rock.

The Magic Pudding

It's possible I'm closed minded to things I'm not aware of.
I know I'm closed to thinking about some of societies worst taboos, I don't want to even consider whether they could possibly appeal to me.
I don't have as many taboos as some though, cannibalism, suicide, euthanasia, murder, I'm not shut down on those.

The idea that there is a god watching and judging us as religion describes?
That door of possibility is pretty much shut, not much point revisiting it, nothing new to see.

Amicale

;D I'm close minded to a belief in zombies... and yet

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Amicale

Quote from: Thunder Road on February 05, 2012, 01:51:04 AM

"Keep an open mind" and "consider all opinions" they kept saying.  It's like they didn't understand that having an open mind, and considering all opinions, is exactly what made me into an atheist.

By agreeing to keep an open mind, I think I was duped into admitting that there's a chance that I'm wrong and they're right.  Argh.

In all fairness, keeping an open mind and considering all the options ought to have gone with ways, when it came to your family. They ought to have been able to keep their minds open enough to try to understand or at least respect your point of view. Heck, there's ALWAYS a chance, however small, that we're 'wrong' when it comes to supernatural beliefs. It's OK to accept that, and still be an atheist or agnostic or other sort of freethinker. But 'being openminded' doesn't mean suppressing the questions you have, and the beliefs you have, in order not to insult someone else just in 'case' they're right. It simply means reviewing all the options, and being open to new information as it becomes available.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Ali

I can't imagine a version of "open minded" in which I simply believe everything that I'm told.  Wouldn't some of the things be contradictory?  So if your definition of "open minded" means "Believing whatever, without the benefit of any sort of logic or proof" then yes, I suppose that I am close minded.  Oh well.

Tank

"The difference between keeping an open mind and changing one's mind should be the available evidence." - Tank 5th Feb 2012
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

If being closed minded means not giving silly claims the time of day then yeah, I'm close minded and proud of it!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Gawen

I am not closed minded...and I don't want to hear another thing about it...*chucklin*
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Thunder Road

Quote from: Tank on February 05, 2012, 08:19:40 AM

"The difference between keeping an open mind and changing one's mind should be the available evidence." - Tank 5th Feb 2012

I like it.
"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see." -John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever

Freshman Meteorology major at Valparaiso University in Indiana and fan of exclusively classic rock.

Harmonie

I don't really consider it close-minded. Or perhaps I'll just say that if it really is a matter of that, considering God being an equally likely explanation to the origins of the universe and life as scientific explanations is a nice example of the quote that you shouldn't be so open minded that your brain falls out.

To me, the thought of there really being a God out there raises so many more questions than it answers. And with science slowly but surely unraveling the mysteries of the Earth, universe, and life, ruling out something that has absolutely no evidence and has always been supported by 'faith', just doesn't classify as close-minded to me. It classifies as being realistic.

If evidence pops up, then it can be considered, but I can't take it seriously with what we have got right now.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Asmodean

Open mind is all well and good, but when your brains start spilling out, you are in what medical professionals would call a shitload of trouble.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

The fact that very few things to me are considered "wrong and taboo" makes me feel more open minded.
I acknowledge that not everything works for everyone. One couple could want  a relationship with routine , and another couple could want a swingers life. Or roleplay in bed.  Or go to a host club. Or to a urine cocktail bar.
Honestly, I feel like I only get to live once.
Things considered extreme in america is not so in japan. I feel more at home there (aside from canada. I heart Canada.)
People's personal relationships and likes dont bother me. I'm not into drag bars, but some men are. I think they're pretty cute. Hopefully one day we'll all actually   become accepting of everyone's personal preferences, and stop judging so.
And stop acting like someone's preference actually affects who they are as a kind, loving human being.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Harmonie

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 06, 2012, 04:16:05 PM
The fact that very few things to me are considered "wrong and taboo" makes me feel more open minded.
I acknowledge that not everything works for everyone. One couple could want  a relationship with routine , and another couple could want a swingers life. Or roleplay in bed.  Or go to a host club. Or to a urine cocktail bar.
Honestly, I feel like I only get to live once.

@bolded:  :o Do I even want to know?

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Sweetdeath

It's just a bar in japan where beautiful women piss in your alcoholic drinks. They have them in Russia (or Germany..?) And call them Milk bars.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.