News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Choice between a Curse or Death

Started by Hector Valdez, May 18, 2012, 04:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

En_Route

I'd borrow the gun and shoot your mother.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

xSilverPhinx

Sorry, but I have to ask. Is this even true? ???

It's just so odd to me.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Given that some people seem to need constant confirmation of one's undying loyalty, I don't see why it would be implausible.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Yes, but this example is rather extreme. Giving up one's own life to avoid cussing their mother?

If it were me, I would cuss my mother nonstop for an entire day, and knowing her I know she would consent to my decision. Don't get me wrong, I adore my mother and if our places were switched, I would consent to her cussing me without second thought.

The OP's example just makes a life seem close to worthless, but given religion, it is plausible (the idea of blasphemy is one of the most idiotic out there).

Asmodean

Oh, there are people out there who consider many otherwise productive lives to be worthless. Some of those may well be someone's mothers.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

En_Route

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 24, 2012, 12:09:09 PM

It's just so odd to me.

It is of course a joke but I have noticed that levity seems to pass largely unnoticed hereabouts.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: En_Route on May 24, 2012, 12:57:01 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 24, 2012, 12:09:09 PM

It's just so odd to me.

It is of course a joke but I have noticed that levity seems to pass largely unnoticed hereabouts.

I'm incredibly dense when it comes to online jokes, one could be right in front of me and I won't notice :P

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 24, 2012, 01:49:18 PM
I'm incredibly dense when it comes to online jokes, one could be right in front of me and I won't notice :P

I think it's OK to take things as they are presented, setting your scepticism at a higher level takes more energy.

Not meaning any offence to RenegeReversi, I don't know his mother but I'd wonder if the mother in the scenario is sane.  Religion makes people think strange things, add Alzheimer's and maybe you'd get something like this.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 24, 2012, 02:24:04 PM

I think it's OK to take things as they are presented, setting your scepticism at a higher level takes more energy.

Not meaning any offence to RenegeReversi, I don't know his mother but I'd wonder if the mother in the scenario is sane.  Religion makes people think strange things, add Alzheimer's and maybe you'd get something like this.

I was skeptical, I just didn't realise it was a joke. Maybe an outright lie or something.

Amicale

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 24, 2012, 02:27:25 PM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 24, 2012, 02:24:04 PM

I was skeptical, I just didn't realise it was a joke. Maybe an outright lie or something.

I didn't take it as a joke, a lie, a fable or anything. I've often gotten into philosophical conversations with my own mom -- not to this depth, but more than my share of them where I say something or she says something and the 'guilt floodgates' can easily 'pop', as RenegeReversi said. I believe he actually had this conversation with his mother, and will til he says otherwise.

Why? Well, if I'm not mistaken, he very recently deconverted from Catholicism, and recently told his mother about it. She may just be testing the waters, in her own way, to see how much he's changed/hasn't changed, and to see where he stands on certain issues.

Just a guess. I know when I deconverted, I was asked all kinds of crazy questions that were meant to reassure my family that I was still me.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Hector Valdez

Yes, it's real. I really did have this conversation with my mother. My mother is probably in her right mind, and a very kind and loving woman. Her main weakness is that she has no desire at all to question her catholic faith. Though I suppose I can't blame her. It's worked for her for her entire life, and as old as she is, I really don't think she's inclined to change that. Oh, she's Mexican too, so that's a real crocker-pot.

Firebird

What happened when you asked her "If someone was holding a gun to my head, and they demanded that either I curse you or they would kill me, but you got to choose which action I took, what would you have me do?"
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Firebird on May 28, 2012, 09:01:48 PM
What happened when you asked her "If someone was holding a gun to my head, and they demanded that either I curse you or they would kill me, but you got to choose which action I took, what would you have me do?"

Um...quoting K from the new MIB movie...

Don't ask questions to which you don't want to know the answer? :-\

Hector Valdez

Actually, she sat in stunned silence for a bit, and then said  that she would choose me cursing her. XD

Firebird

That's good :) I was afraid after xSilverPhinx's comment that I shouldn't have pushed lest the answer was one you didn't want to tell us.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"