Main Menu

War on Religion

Started by Happy_Is_Good, May 20, 2012, 03:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Happy_Is_Good on May 30, 2012, 12:39:23 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 22, 2012, 05:41:06 AM
Quote from: Happy_Is_Good on May 22, 2012, 05:26:12 AM
Long before Theism dies, Atheism will have become the Zeitgeist of our culture. 

Perhaps, at least until theism or some other religion/superstition emotional crutch becomes the new zeitgeist again...

No doubt that many will gravitate to some other type of mumbo-jumbo belief in the supernatural.  However, as long as we can dispel the belief of an all-powerful Gangsta God who will burn our arses in hell for eternity if we don't kiss his arse, then we will have come a long way to getting rid of some of the worst beliefs in society.

I agree, but this is a good example of something that's easier said than done. Immunisation against some sort of beliefs requires more than education, people have to feel little emotional need for them, which is IMO closer to utopic than something attainable. You have to give them something a little more productive and constructive instead. 

Do I do think that there's no going back from the backlash movement that is 'new atheism', and all for the better too. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Amicale

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 30, 2012, 05:14:45 PM

I agree, but this is a good example of something that's easier said than done. Immunisation against some sort of beliefs requires more than education, people have to feel little emotional need for them, which is IMO closer to utopic than something attainable. You have to give them something a little more productive and constructive instead. 

Do I do think that there's no going back from the backlash movement that is 'new atheism', and all for the better too. 

This reminded me - I think a lot of people feel an emotional need for beliefs for sure, maybe because of the promise of heaven, never-ending life, an end to the pain of this world, etc -- they cling to hope when they don't feel like they have a lot of hope during their lives. I do understand their desire for something better, in a sense. That being said, I think what that need speaks to is a true lack of community outside many churches. People get into churches and become part of a 'family', in many cases - they find people in the churches who care about them, welcome them in, etc. If they didn't have this support network, many people feel like they'd really be missing a lot.

I think education is an excellent starting point. But we can't just educate people and stop there. We need to also support them in community, mentally, emotionally, etc. We're all social creatures, more or less. If we want people to be willing to consider something other than religion, we need to develop programs and groups that'll assist them once they're no longer a part of a religion. Some groups have done good work on this front, but we can always do more. We can counsel them, meet with them, befriend them. It doesn't even need to be a formal group, really -- more the chance to meet with one's community, share time, meals, drinks, make friends, etc.

Until we can develop the emotional support networks that religious groups are pretty good at, we won't get as many people as we'd like to, with just education, although as I said, education will go a long ways towards helping, I think.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Firebird

Quote from: Amicale on May 31, 2012, 04:37:55 AM
This reminded me - I think a lot of people feel an emotional need for beliefs for sure, maybe because of the promise of heaven, never-ending life, an end to the pain of this world, etc -- they cling to hope when they don't feel like they have a lot of hope during their lives. I do understand their desire for something better, in a sense. That being said, I think what that need speaks to is a true lack of community outside many churches. People get into churches and become part of a 'family', in many cases - they find people in the churches who care about them, welcome them in, etc. If they didn't have this support network, many people feel like they'd really be missing a lot.

I think education is an excellent starting point. But we can't just educate people and stop there. We need to also support them in community, mentally, emotionally, etc. We're all social creatures, more or less. If we want people to be willing to consider something other than religion, we need to develop programs and groups that'll assist them once they're no longer a part of a religion. Some groups have done good work on this front, but we can always do more. We can counsel them, meet with them, befriend them. It doesn't even need to be a formal group, really -- more the chance to meet with one's community, share time, meals, drinks, make friends, etc.

Until we can develop the emotional support networks that religious groups are pretty good at, we won't get as many people as we'd like to, with just education, although as I said, education will go a long ways towards helping, I think.

Excellent point. I think this is one of the main reasons that religion manages to have such a sway on people, and it's admittedly a good reason. We're social creatures by nature. This was one reason I previously asked what non-theistic organizations HAF members are part of, as I think it's something I'd want to do someday.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Stevil

There shouldn't be a war on religion,
Religion is benign

There should be a war on morality though.
I wouldn't have any problems what so ever with religions that don't push/fight for their morality.