News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Ever since Bruce mentioned ZZ Top, I've had this stuck in my head (not that I mind) --

That video takes me back in so many ways.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tom62 on May 09, 2017, 04:23:00 AM
^ I love that ZZ-Top song

I do too, but holy crap what were we thinking of back then with the big hair and gym clothes worn as street clothes?
Sandy

Magdalena

Darn it! I'm stuck in the 80's!  :grrr:
Where are my green/orange/fuchsia neon earring hoops!?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

The only thing I remember from the '80s is my mother listening to Tina Turner tapes.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

I just found out May 6th was Bob Seger's 72nd birthday.  Happy Birthday to him.

Sandy

Magdalena

Man! This is as psychedelic as my spoon!  :tellmemore:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Icarus on May 07, 2017, 01:45:51 AM
Alright already you guys. What is so objectionable about Abba?  They do actual music with the essential elements of rhythm, lyric, melody, and harmony. Not only that...for guys at least, both of those two Swedish chicks are hotties.  Contrast what they do with American hard rock and one compares acceptable music composition and adequate performance with cacophonous, mentally injurious,, emotionally tortuous, ear splitting, noises that is so typical of mod rock.

Icarus, my dear old friend, please know I love you still in spite of your comment above, and regardless of how much it pains me to read.

I could really spend an abhorrent amount of time listing the endless objectionable reasons to hate Abba and their cheesy disco pop, clod-hopping rhythms, along with their absolutely no style, pop-disco fashion horror,  but it pains me to have to do so, and I simply do not have the spoons currently on hand to endure this type of spurious, and painful exercise. 

So I will defer to the following article written by Neil McCormick for the Telegraph, Abba: no thank you for the music

Here are some choice quotes from the article that mimic my own feeling on the subject:

QuoteEverything that is contrived and corny about pop is to be found in Abba. As song titles such as Honey Honey, and Money, Money, Money, and (surely you remember this one) I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do suggest, the prosaic appeal of repetition was the most potent weapon in Abba's limited armoury.
So it is perhaps self-evident that the same musical signatures would be endlessly recycled: perky piano descents, toy-box organ sounds, staccato keyboard hooks and gimmicky backing vocals (thus, a phrase like "Take a Chance" can become "Teka cheka-cha-chance" and "Super Trouper" metamorphose into "Supa-pa True-pa-pa").
Then there were all those market-expanding, pan-European catchphrase choruses (Voulez-Vous, Mamma Mia, Chiquitita), cod-American English lyrics (Abba songs are full of unconvincingly pronounced "chick"s and "baby"s) and the kind of bizarre phraseology that comes from writing in a foreign tongue (in Winner Takes It All the loser at a metaphorical card game announces they have "no more ace to play").

As you know my wife is from Honduras, we travel there often, in fact we just returned from a trip there a couple weeks ago. I love Honduras, it's a beautiful stunning country, and I've often dream about retiring and living out my days there. The year and a half I was stationed in Honduras and Central America while in the Army were some of the happiest times of my life. The people are warm, kind, generous and funny. I would also add the Honduran women (All Latin women, honestly in my humble opinion) are much more beautiful than your two Swedish fantasies, (Cough-cough)

However. I've yet to meet a Honduran that doesn't simply love Abba, and it drives me crazy. Put an Abba song on and you are guaranteed two things, one: I will get up and leave the area immediately. Two: every single one of them, man, woman and child will sing along with whatever song you have on.
It drives me crazy, and nothing seems to give them more pleasure than torturing this poor gringo while I am there than to put Abba on and watch me squirm, in fact they did this to me during our most recent trip during a large outdoor family get-together.

They tricked me onto the dance floor with my elderly Mother in-law. We were supposed to dance a slow-song together, and just as the music started and her and I began dancing, the cold-hearted bastards switched the music on us to an Abba song. I had no choice being the lovely gentleman that I am, but to continue dancing with my mother in-law to an Abba song, while they all stood around laughing and smirking at me.

I have sworn revenge on them, not sure how, but one day I will have it. Mark my words. >:(

However. The most miserable time of my entire life was having to sit through the god-awfull movie/musical "Mamma Mia". I lost a fucking bet with my wife, and had to watch my beloved Meryl Streep ruin what up to than was an outstanding, and wonderful film career.

Worse part of the bet, besides listening and watching this monstrosity was I was not allowed as part of the bet to make any snide comments or remarks while we were watching, but had to sit quietly and demurely in my seat and watch.

I felt like Alex from "A Clockwork Orange" while he was going through the Ludovico Technique in prison. Remember the scene from the movie starring Malcolm McDowell, with his eyes clamped open forced to watch graphically violent films? The only part missing from my experience is I wasn't injected with nausea-inducing drugs like Alex was, but really there was no need, as the music itself took care of that part.

If there is a god, if hell does indeed exist it is my belief that it will be populated by kats, run by nuns, and have Abba music playing on an endless loop for all of eternity.

And that's all I have to say about that.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on May 12, 2017, 03:09:25 PM
They tricked me onto the dance floor with my elderly Mother in-law. We were supposed to dance a slow-song together, and just as the music started and her and I began dancing, the cold-hearted bastards switched the music on us to an Abba song. I had no choice being the lovely gentleman that I am, but to continue dancing with my mother in-law to an Abba song, while they all stood around laughing and smirking at me.

I have sworn revenge on them, not sure how, but one day I will have it. Mark my words. >:(

Which ABBA song did you have to dance to, Father? Was it, Fernando:snicker:

:dance1:

There was something in the air that night
The stars were bright, Fernando
They were shining there for you and me
For liberty, Fernando
Though I never thought that we could lose
There's no regret
If I had to do the same again
I would, my friend, Fernando...

Magdalena

Tom62

Quote from: Magdalena on May 12, 2017, 04:36:02 PM

For liberty, Fernando
There's no regret

My bet is on "Dancing Queen"  ;)
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Biggus Dickus

For liberty, Fernando
There's no regret

I don't remember the exact song, nor do I even want to attempt to remember, even for you my darling Magz!

Quote from: Tom62 on May 12, 2017, 04:42:02 PM

For liberty, Fernando
There's no regret

My bet is on "Dancing Queen"  ;)

You could be right Tom, sadly.

Re-reading my post I bet that last part about the dance with my mother in-law sounds completely fabricated or made up,  but I can assure you it isn't.

This whole Abba and the Honduran's thing started a number of years ago. Our niece, her husband and their two little kids were visiting us from Honduras here in Michigan (The two kids are my favs, and they actually refer to me as Tio Bruno even though Bruno isn't my given name).
It was a summer night, we had some other family members and friends over and were partying and dancing out on the patio when someone played an Abba song. Niece's husband who is somewhat conservative and usually quite and dormant suddenly jumps up from his table, and starts singing and dancing to the Abba song.

I'm looking at him so oddly he stops, walks over and asks me what is wrong, and I'm like, "Dude, WTF are you doing? Not only dancing, but your singing along to Abba with all this weird exuberance and joy. You do realize that people are watching right"?

It was then I found out how ridiculously beloved this group and their music is with Hondurans.

Over the years my displeasure in the music and their joy in playing it in my presence has grown, so now they use any chance possible to play Abba when I am around. One Christmas they bought me an Abba fucking ornament.

Some really mean and bitter people. ::)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

Quote from: Icarus on May 07, 2017, 01:45:51 AM
Alright already you guys. What is so objectionable about Abba?  They do actual music with the essential elements of rhythm, lyric, melody, and harmony. Not only that...for guys at least, both of those two Swedish chicks are hotties.  Contrast what they do with American hard rock and one compares acceptable music composition and adequate performance with cacophonous, mentally injurious,, emotionally tortuous, ear splitting, noises that is so typical of mod rock.

Icarus, my dear old friend, please know I love you still in spite of your comment above, and regardless of how much it pains me to read.

I could really spend an abhorrent amount of time listing the endless objectionable reasons to hate Abba and their cheesy disco pop, clod-hopping rhythms, along with their absolutely no style, pop-disco fashion horror,  but it pains me to have to do so, and I simply do not have the spoons currently on hand to endure this type of spurious, and painful exercise. 

So I will defer to the following article written by Neil McCormick for the Telegraph, Abba: no thank you for the music

Here are some choice quotes from the article that mimic my own feeling on the subject:

QuoteEverything that is contrived and corny about pop is to be found in Abba. As song titles such as Honey Honey, and Money, Money, Money, and (surely you remember this one) I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do suggest, the prosaic appeal of repetition was the most potent weapon in Abba's limited armoury.
So it is perhaps self-evident that the same musical signatures would be endlessly recycled: perky piano descents, toy-box organ sounds, staccato keyboard hooks and gimmicky backing vocals (thus, a phrase like "Take a Chance" can become "Teka cheka-cha-chance" and "Super Trouper" metamorphose into "Supa-pa True-pa-pa").
Then there were all those market-expanding, pan-European catchphrase choruses (Voulez-Vous, Mamma Mia, Chiquitita), cod-American English lyrics (Abba songs are full of unconvincingly pronounced "chick"s and "baby"s) and the kind of bizarre phraseology that comes from writing in a foreign tongue (in Winner Takes It All the loser at a metaphorical card game announces they have "no more ace to play").

As you know my wife is from Honduras, we travel there often, in fact we just returned from a trip there a couple weeks ago. I love Honduras, it's a beautiful stunning country, and I've often dream about retiring and living out my days there. The year and a half I was stationed in Honduras and Central America while in the Army were some of the happiest times of my life. The people are warm, kind, generous and funny. I would also add the Honduran women (All Latin women, honestly in my humble opinion) are much more beautiful than your two Swedish fantasies, (Cough-cough)

However. I've yet to meet a Honduran that doesn't simply love Abba, and it drives me crazy. Put an Abba song on and you are guaranteed two things, one: I will get up and leave the area immediately. Two: every single one of them, man, woman and child will sing along with whatever song you have on.
It drives me crazy, and nothing seems to give them more pleasure than torturing this poor gringo while I am there than to put Abba on and watch me squirm, in fact they did this to me during our most recent trip during a large outdoor family get-together.

However. The most miserable time of my entire life was having to sit through the god-awfull movie/musical "Mamma Mia". I lost a fucking bet with my wife, and had to watch my beloved Meryl Streep ruin what up to than was an outstanding, and wonderful film career.

Worse part of the bet, besides listening and watching this monstrosity was I was not allowed as part of the bet to make any snide comments or remarks while we were watching, but had to sit quietly and demurely in my seat and watch.

I felt like Alex from "A Clockwork Orange" while he was going through the Ludovico Technique in prison. Remember the scene from the movie starring Malcolm McDowell, with his eyes clamped open forced to watch graphically violent films? The only part missing from my experience is I wasn't injected with nausea-inducing drugs like Alex was, but really there was no need, as the music itself took care of that part.

If there is a god, if hell does indeed exist it is my belief that it will be populated by kats, run by nuns, and have Abba music playing on an endless loop for all of eternity.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Tio Bruno you are a bit much....you are also delightfully talented as a writer and humorist, and McCormick can kiss my ass, and yes Abba was sort of ricky tick but they managed to stay atop the charts for a long time, and made a shit ton of money, and were smart enough to bail when the party was over........well alright that was in the dark ages, the 1970s in fact. ....If you are maybe 50, then you were still in diapers when that outfit was at its peak of popularity....so you don't get to decide about the musical tastes of really old folks, or Hondurans....... (Grin) Nuthin' serious here, I'm only funnin' you . 

P.S. 😊I still think that the two Viking chicks were better than average hot.