News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Bickering and Banning | Split From: New kid on the block.

Started by En_Route, July 07, 2012, 09:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ali on July 09, 2012, 07:03:34 PM
No, that's true, I did not.  It's never occurred to me to report a comment, I just assumed that if the mods saw them and cared to say anything they would.

Nuff said.

Tank

Quote from: Ali on July 09, 2012, 07:03:34 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 09, 2012, 07:00:39 PM
Quote from: Ali on July 09, 2012, 06:57:00 PM
I didn't think that his original comment towards SD was "bullying."  I also agree that I have seen members make racist and otherwise nasty comments without a single word from the mods which makes me feel...I don't know, like it's somehow acceptable to do so.  Don't get me wrong, I don't really want a forum where every word out of someone's mouth is moderated, but when someone is allowed to make repeated racist comments and not hear a word from the mods, and someone else gets modslapped for asking a pointed question, it makes it seem like business as usual, it's okay to hate on certain people but not others.  

But, the whole "ban me" nonsense and calling Tank "a sad little man" really painted Tank into a corner where it was ban him or put up with nonsense like that going forward, so I don't blame Tank for banning him.  I will miss E_R though, I liked him.  
Did you report the posts with the racist comments in them?

No, that's true, I did not.  It's never occurred to me to report a comment, I just assumed that if the mods saw them and cared to say anything they would.
If a mod did see it they would do something. We don't get to read everything in the detail we would like.  :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Tank on July 08, 2012, 11:35:09 PM
I read every new post here every day (I can't be the only one) and have done since I joined.

Quote from: Tank on July 09, 2012, 07:09:35 PM
If a mod did see it they would do something. We don't get to read everything in the detail we would like.  :)

Hmm.

xSilverPhinx

To be honest the civility rule confuses me a little. Are we technically allowed to vent frustrations at generalized groups of people every once in a while or is there more of a problem when one poster targets another and personally attacks that person here.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on July 09, 2012, 07:20:28 PM
I read every new post here every day (I can't be the only one) and have done since I joined.

If a mod did see it they would do something. We don't get to read everything in the detail we would like.  :)

Hmm.
You're point?

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ali

AD,  :).  I was going to leave that alone.  Look, Tank, mod team in general: I know you're just fellow members, and it's all a judgement call.  I don't blame you for not wanting to jump on every off color comment; I don't think I would enjoy a forum that heavily modded anyway.  Just....next time someone says something racist, do me a favor and pop them in the face for me, h'okay?   :)

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Tank on July 09, 2012, 07:39:15 PM

If a mod did see it they would do something. We don't get to read everything in the detail we would like.  :)

Hmm.
You're point?

The point was made already, but you missed it or chose to ignore it.

AnimatedDirt

BTW...to whomever cares, if any, I also disagree with this being dumped into the "Dump Pile of Crazy Troll Posts" as it is not crazy nor a troll post.

Stevil

Quote from: En_Route (Banned) on July 08, 2012, 04:17:53 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 08, 2012, 06:04:00 AM
Quote from: En_Route on July 07, 2012, 09:02:58 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 07, 2012, 08:25:50 PM
For the most part, i think some atheists can be rude only because we are fucking sick of religion being shoved into our face by law and pamphlets. :)
So when theists behave badly it's the fault of religion and when atheists behave badly...it's also the fault of religion.
More like the fault of annoying ass people.
I'll reformulate: When religious people act badly, it's the fault of religion and when atheists act badly it's the fault of religious people.
If we are being open and honest, hopefully without the threat of the ban hammer being swung on ourselves, I would have to say that the above was certainly not warning worthy, we all call each other out on contradictions or try to reword something based on how we understood something to "mean". I understand it can appear obnoxious but everyone has a different style, some people have high EQ like Ali and DeterminedJuliet whom always come across as very nice pleasant people (whom you want to have conversation with) others may come across as too blunt, too grating, people with low EQ like myself  :)
I don't think it is a moderator's place to change people, to make them into high EQ. Sometimes blunt and to the point is necessary, sometimes it is not, but people are who they are. As long as we aren't getting personal, calling names, being racist, sexist or insensitive to people's situation then just let people be please.
SD was fine, I don't think she was overly worried about ER's comment. I can understand ER's over the top response if he felt unreasonably treated by the threat of the mod hammer.

Recusant

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on July 09, 2012, 08:19:11 PMBTW...to whomever cares, if any, I also disagree with this being dumped into the "Dump Pile of Crazy Troll Posts" as it is not crazy nor a troll post.

That would have been my doing. Which section do you consider more appropriate?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Recusant on July 09, 2012, 09:14:48 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on July 09, 2012, 08:19:11 PMBTW...to whomever cares, if any, I also disagree with this being dumped into the "Dump Pile of Crazy Troll Posts" as it is not crazy nor a troll post.

We don't have ( nor am I suggesting to add ) a "moderating issues" type section as I certainly can understand how that can not be good for a forum.  However, in this case ( and maybe others past and certainly some in the future ) there has to be some sort of place to put this so that 1.) It is removed from the thread it is taking OT and 2.) be given it's proper consideration rather than by placing it in the "dump of crazy troll posts" implying ( at least to me ) that it is not worthy of a discerning looksie.

I don't know exactly.  The person banned has no manner in which to make a case among his/her peers.  If we can be restricted at the beginning of our time at HAF to the "Getting to Know You" section up to 10 posts, then certainly a banned person can be restricted to an "arbitration" section of sorts.  I know how I felt when I was banned twice with no manner to make my case nor the feeling of freedom to make my case without fear of more or permanent punishment.

Again, I don't know exactly.  Just thinking out loud.

Tank

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on July 09, 2012, 08:14:30 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 09, 2012, 07:39:15 PM

Hmm.
You're point?

The point was made already, but you missed it or chose to ignore it.
More goading AD, no surprise there then pretty much your only way of behaving when cornered isn't it?

Tank

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on July 09, 2012, 09:30:41 PM

We don't have ( nor am I suggesting to add ) a "moderating issues" type section as I certainly can understand how that can not be good for a forum.  However, in this case ( and maybe others past and certainly some in the future ) there has to be some sort of place to put this so that 1.) It is removed from the thread it is taking OT and 2.) be given it's proper consideration rather than by placing it in the "dump of crazy troll posts" implying ( at least to me ) that it is not worthy of a discerning looksie.

I don't know exactly.  The person banned has no manner in which to make a case among his/her peers.  If we can be restricted at the beginning of our time at HAF to the "Getting to Know You" section up to 10 posts, then certainly a banned person can be restricted to an "arbitration" section of sorts.  I know how I felt when I was banned twice with no manner to make my case nor the feeling of freedom to make my case without fear of more or permanent punishment.

And this is exactly the sort of barrack room arguments that brought down RDF. I'm sure you'd like that wouldn't you AD?

Buddy

I think it might be a good idea tO lock this before someone says something they will regret.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Tank on July 09, 2012, 09:33:59 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on July 09, 2012, 09:30:41 PM

And this is exactly the sort of barrack room arguments that brought down RDF. I'm sure you'd like that wouldn't you AD?

I'll refrain from what I actually started with.

No, Tank.  It's not what I want at all.  Thanks for your assertion though.