News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Bickering and Banning | Split From: New kid on the block.

Started by En_Route, July 07, 2012, 09:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 08, 2012, 11:03:57 PM
I know the moderators don't ban people just because they ask for it, and I think that's a good rule.  However, somebody literally asking to be banned does cause me, as a bystander, to lose sympathy for their position.  That's probably unfair on my part, but there it is.

Me too. It irks me when theists play the martyr card, and it irked me when ER dared McQ to ban him the first time. He won then, tried again with Tank and got what he asked for. The third or fourth time he would've pulled that off would've made him more of a bore than an aggravation. ::)

Though I think the place is at a slight loss with him gone (I can't help it, I liked his writing style and his contributions when he wasn't locking horns to dispute forum space with people or get the last word in)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 08, 2012, 11:28:33 PM

Ploft.

Somehow I imagine the ban hammer sounding louder than that.  Ploft suggests being hit with a pillow.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Stevil

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 09, 2012, 02:51:37 AM
Somehow I imagine the ban hammer sounding louder than that.  Ploft suggests being hit with a pillow.
Silent but violent!

The Magic Pudding

You didn't have to squash his hat.

xSilverPhinx

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 09, 2012, 01:23:14 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 08, 2012, 11:03:57 PM
I know the moderators don't ban people just because they ask for it, and I think that's a good rule.  However, somebody literally asking to be banned does cause me, as a bystander, to lose sympathy for their position.  That's probably unfair on my part, but there it is.

Me too. It irks me when theists play the martyr card, and it irked me when ER dared McQ to ban him the first time. He won then, tried again with Tank and got what he asked for. The third or fourth time he would've pulled that off would've made him more of a bore than an aggravation. ::)

Though I think the place is at a slight loss with him gone (I can't help it, I liked his writing style and his contributions when he wasn't locking horns to dispute forum space with people or get the last word in)
I essentially agree with this. But the problem is that 'barrack room lawyers' can ham-sting the staff of a forum and that's EXACTLY what EH was trying to do. For the most part this place runs fairly smoothly. But I have seen 3 large forums implode where the staff didn't have the courage to do what was needed. There is another one where the staff spend 75% of their time arguing with belligerent members about how this rule and that rule should be applied under this circumstance or that circumstance. And frankly I haven't got enough life left to go through that sort of shit.

EH was determined to get SD to admit she was wrong and not do it in a reasoned and reasonable fashion, he was attempting to shoot her down with loaded questions,that is not civil and not the way this forum will be. He would have done it to all of us at some point and that would have been very bad for a small community like this.

I knew when I banned him I was going to get some flak because mods almost always do get flak when they have to remove a member that most of the time was entertaining and reasonable.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Firebird

When ER and I started debating the morality issues, he actually PM'd me a very nice note saying how much he enjoyed our debates even though we disagreed. Later, when he and Tank/McQ were arguing, we also PM'd, and I encouraged him to talk to them privately. I had hoped things would calm down after that. I did enjoy having him around, but I don't disagree with the ban. He was unacceptably aggressive at times, especially towards the mods.
So Tank, I agree with your ban. That being said, with all due respect, when you and ER fought on the Diamond Jubilee thread, I thought your aggressiveness towards him was not appropriate either, and could give the appearance that it was personal. I know it wasn't, but frankly your stature and position on this forum means your words carry more weight, and that did bother me.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

Quote from: Firebird on July 09, 2012, 02:13:03 PM
When ER and I started debating the morality issues, he actually PM'd me a very nice note saying how much he enjoyed our debates even though we disagreed. Later, when he and Tank/McQ were arguing, we also PM'd, and I encouraged him to talk to them privately. I had hoped things would calm down after that. I did enjoy having him around, but I don't disagree with the ban. He was unacceptably aggressive at times, especially towards the mods.
So Tank, I agree with your ban. That being said, with all due respect, when you and ER fought on the Diamond Jubilee thread, I thought your aggressiveness towards him was not appropriate either, and could give the appearance that it was personal. I know it wasn't, but frankly your stature and position on this forum means your words carry more weight, and that did bother me.
That's a fair point. Mia Culpa.

But having lived through 'The Troubles' I have no sympathy for anybody that supports/supported or attempts to white wash what those murdering bastards did. Intelligent my fucking arse.

I apologise for losing my rag over that.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Firebird

Quote from: Tank on July 09, 2012, 02:29:21 PM
Quote from: Firebird on July 09, 2012, 02:13:03 PM

But having lived through 'The Troubles' I have no sympathy for anybody that supports/supported or attempts to white wash what those murdering bastards did. Intelligent my fucking arse.

Appreciate that, and much respect too. And I don't fault you at all for feeling offended.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Crow

His opinion is fair, not one that agreed with but it is also the same opinion as my Irish mates, they view them in a similar vein as the George Washington and Napoleon. I wonder how our American friends would feel if we called Mr Washigton a "murdering bastard" and a "fucking idiot". There isn't much different between the two situations either.

But anyway no point in flogging a dead horse.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Crow on July 09, 2012, 04:58:43 PM

His opinion is fair, not one that agreed with but it is also the same opinion as my Irish mates, they view them in a similar vein as the George Washington and Napoleon. I wonder how our American friends would feel if we called Mr Washigton a "murdering bastard" and a "fucking idiot". There isn't much different between the two situations either.

But anyway no point in flogging a dead horse.

I get that...where my parents are from pioneering rangers are seen as real heroes of the State, but in reality they were vicious enslavers of indigenous populations. Wild people. One was even named after a demon by the indians.  The whole thing sounds rather weird to someone who isn't from that state to hear them glorify their personal characterisitcs.

And I also don't want to resurrect that dead topic because it's clearly a sensitive one, but I just thought I'd mention that whether it's intelligent or not is besides the point. Terrorism is a tactic within a greater strategic context, and can actually be an intelligent way of reaching a goal. It's sad that the people usually targeted are civilians just trying to get on with their lives, but it's about monstrosity and not intelligence.

And Tank, I'm not giving you flak because you gave ER what, like Sweetdeath said, he was literally asking for. I was just surprised I guess. I haven't seen too many bannings of people who didn't start of as obvious trolls here.

Ali

I didn't think that his original comment towards SD was "bullying."  I also agree that I have seen members make racist and otherwise nasty comments without a single word from the mods which makes me feel...I don't know, like it's somehow acceptable to do so.  Don't get me wrong, I don't really want a forum where every word out of someone's mouth is moderated, but when someone is allowed to make repeated racist comments and not hear a word from the mods, and someone else gets modslapped for asking a pointed question, it makes it seem like business as usual, it's okay to hate on certain people but not others. 

But, the whole "ban me" nonsense and calling Tank "a sad little man" really painted Tank into a corner where it was ban him or put up with nonsense like that going forward, so I don't blame Tank for banning him.  I will miss E_R though, I liked him. 

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Tank on July 08, 2012, 04:25:22 PM
Why don't you ask an open question that might shed light on the situation rather than repeat a loaded question obviously intended to bully a fellow member?
Oh and don't try the passive aggressive line you pulled last time the "Go ahead ban me" routine.
Do that I'll ban you.
Tank
Quote from: Tank on July 08, 2012, 05:45:14 PM
I had missed the first post where En-Route decided to push his luck.
Thus I was happy to let it go at a 7 day suspension.
Having now seen the "Go Ahead. Ban Me." comment I have extended the ban to a permanent.
Tank
Quote from: Tank on July 08, 2012, 11:35:09 PM
I read every new post here every day (I can't be the only one) and have done since I joined. Sometimes it just comes down to pattern recognition. 95% of ER posts were fine, but he was regularly pushing his luck with low level personal attacks, passive aggressive nastiness and low level bullying more and more. Maybe I did load the gun, maybe I did hand it to him, but he chose to pulled the trigger. If he had had any respect for the rest of the forum and it's members he'd have taken the point I made and rephrased his question and carried on. As it was he didn't so he's gone. He knew he was gone when he made the "Go on. Ban me." comment. He didn't do that for any good reason.

Sorry to have shot your debate partner.

I will only say this for now.  I'm in total and complete disagreement.

Tank

Quote from: Ali on July 09, 2012, 06:57:00 PM
I didn't think that his original comment towards SD was "bullying."  I also agree that I have seen members make racist and otherwise nasty comments without a single word from the mods which makes me feel...I don't know, like it's somehow acceptable to do so.  Don't get me wrong, I don't really want a forum where every word out of someone's mouth is moderated, but when someone is allowed to make repeated racist comments and not hear a word from the mods, and someone else gets modslapped for asking a pointed question, it makes it seem like business as usual, it's okay to hate on certain people but not others. 

But, the whole "ban me" nonsense and calling Tank "a sad little man" really painted Tank into a corner where it was ban him or put up with nonsense like that going forward, so I don't blame Tank for banning him.  I will miss E_R though, I liked him. 
Did you report the posts with the racist comments in them?

Ali

Quote from: Tank on July 09, 2012, 07:00:39 PM
Quote from: Ali on July 09, 2012, 06:57:00 PM
I didn't think that his original comment towards SD was "bullying."  I also agree that I have seen members make racist and otherwise nasty comments without a single word from the mods which makes me feel...I don't know, like it's somehow acceptable to do so.  Don't get me wrong, I don't really want a forum where every word out of someone's mouth is moderated, but when someone is allowed to make repeated racist comments and not hear a word from the mods, and someone else gets modslapped for asking a pointed question, it makes it seem like business as usual, it's okay to hate on certain people but not others.  

But, the whole "ban me" nonsense and calling Tank "a sad little man" really painted Tank into a corner where it was ban him or put up with nonsense like that going forward, so I don't blame Tank for banning him.  I will miss E_R though, I liked him.  
Did you report the posts with the racist comments in them?

No, that's true, I did not.  It's never occurred to me to report a comment, I just assumed that if the mods saw them and cared to say anything they would.