News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

The delete post button has disapeared before my eyes while I wasn't watching.

Started by The Magic Pudding, July 13, 2011, 03:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Is the disappearance of the "delete post" button an intentional thing?
I've done the odd late night post where my word choice makes me cringe next day, I've got a duplicate post I've reduced to a dot at the moment.
Has the delete post button disappeared for everyone?

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 13, 2011, 03:32:52 PM
Is the disappearance of the "delete post" button an intentional thing?
I've done the odd late night post where my word choice makes me cringe next day, I've got a duplicate post I've reduced to a dot at the moment.
Has the delete post button disappeared for everyone?

I was a bit surprised we had it in the first place. On other forums we would just edit out a posts contents and replace it with 'Please delete' and then report the post. Trouble is, on this forum, you can't report your own posts so one can't do that.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Thinking about this I PMed Whitney that users had the ability to lock or even remove their own topics.

It looks like she removed the post delete option rather than the topic remove and lock options.

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

McQ

I didn't know it was missing. Thanks for the heads up, puddin'! Whitney will probably swing in here shortly with some info, I'd guess.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

I removed the ability of regular members to delete their posts after tank pointed out that they could.  

Apparently there are more settings I need to figure out.

edit: Now regular members can't delete their posts or lock/remove their own topics.

If being able to delete your posts is something that you don't think will be abused I can go through and re-enable (now that I understand how the controls work)

Tank

That's better, regarding the topic locking/removal. Personally I don't see why users can't delete their own posts as they can edit out the content anyway. And please don't even think of removing the long term ability to edit ones own posts that's the nanny state gone mad IMO. If one member starts to behave like a twat then deal with that member by removing their ability to play silly buggers.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Puddings Sock Puppet on July 13, 2011, 03:32:52 PM

If you took more care with your posts Pudden you wouldn't feel the need to delete them.

That's OK for you guys who embrace reason, I court Absurdity, sometimes I regret.

Sweetdeath

I noticed this just now. :<
I don't have a huge problem with it.

Sometimes my net craps out, and I end up accidentally double posting though.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

fester30

I looked through the thread trying to find out who said this:  If you took more care with your posts Pudden you wouldn't feel the need to delete them.

Took a few minutes to actually look to see it was Pudding's Sock Puppet!  lmao.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: fester30 on July 23, 2011, 04:46:25 PM

Do you think Oscar Wilde would give me an encouraging wink if I changed guys to chaps?

Sweetdeath

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 23, 2011, 05:01:17 PM
Quote from: fester30 on July 23, 2011, 04:46:25 PM

Do you think Oscar Wilde would give me an encouraging wink if I changed guys to chaps?
And a water pistol?  :D
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Wrath

I realize that this hasn't been posted in for a long time, but it's in the top page of this section anyways so... Whatever.

I don't see how a delete post button could be harmful, for your own posts. I accidentally quoted my own post instead of modifying it, and now it's just sitting there. If people really want to see their words gone, all they have to do is edit them out anyways, so why no delete button?

In any case, can somebody delete my extra post?

http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=10275.msg180322#msg180322

Sorry, I'm kind of OCD.  :D

Recusant

No problem. In the future, if it bothers you to have a post that just acknowledges its own redundancy (as that one did) you can PM me. Really it isn't an issue, but I do understand OCD can give one a different perspective.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Wrath on July 10, 2012, 11:02:49 AM
I realize that this hasn't been posted in for a long time, but it's in the top page of this section anyways so... Whatever.

I don't see how a delete post button could be harmful, for your own posts. I accidentally quoted my own post instead of modifying it, and now it's just sitting there. If people really want to see their words gone, all they have to do is edit them out anyways, so why no delete button?

In any case, can somebody delete my extra post?

http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=10275.msg180322#msg180322

Sorry, I'm kind of OCD.  :D

You should probably look that extra post of your straight in the (imagined) eye and say, "Nah, you're not going anywhere." ;D I won't let my OCD win this time ;D

I hate OCD.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey