News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Talk About Star Wars With All the Spoilers You Want

Started by Pasta Chick, December 19, 2015, 03:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

I think the decision to ax the entire Expanded Universe was a ham-handed and sloppy solution.
There are a lot of stories in the Expanded Universe that would still fit quite well in the new canon. As The Force Awakens shows the New Republic alive and well (up to a certain point) most of the stories set between Episode VI and VII could be incorporated, and I hope they do it.
I would most wish to see a TV adaptation of the X-wing series by Michael A. Stackpole and Aaron Allston.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Claireliontamer

I haven't read any of the books. I really should do.

Pasta Chick

I think axing the EU was the correct choice, but executed poorly. It was announced that they are to be legends, which makes sense - legend is very often based on reality and does leave room to pull characters and story lines. But the way it was done was more "yeah we're ditching that".

There is great EU I'm really hoping shows up in the movies, and there is fucking terrible EU I would never in a million years want to see on the big screen. I skipped two entire books in the Legacy series and wasn't remotely lost on plot line. I think EU is reluctant to kill characters, instead attempting to advance medical care to explain abnormally long lives, and i think that's a big reason EU starts to suck as the time line progresses.

In regard to Rogue One specifically, I haven't seen more than the teaser I posted, but it looks to be about the raid to steal the Death Star plans Leia hid in R2 in the first movie. This gets mention in EU as a raid led by Han Solo's first love after years of chasing eachother across galaxies, finding and losing eachother. She dies and weeks - days? - later there's Han making a pass at Leia. I always thought that in particular was pretty stupid, and I hope to hell they didn't pull that into the movie.

Firebird

Quote from: Pasta Chick on April 25, 2016, 07:43:06 PM
In regard to Rogue One specifically, I haven't seen more than the teaser I posted, but it looks to be about the raid to steal the Death Star plans Leia hid in R2 in the first movie. This gets mention in EU as a raid led by Han Solo's first love after years of chasing eachother across galaxies, finding and losing eachother. She dies and weeks - days? - later there's Han making a pass at Leia. I always thought that in particular was pretty stupid, and I hope to hell they didn't pull that into the movie.

Hey, but I thought that was Kyle Katarn from Dark Forces who stole the plans?? Or is that not canon either?  I'm so confused.
There might be some hope for integrating parts of the EU into the movies considering Coruscant originally came from them, but I'm not holding my breath. Everything I read said that they were paying as little attention to them as possible.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Guardian85

Quote from: Pasta Chick on April 25, 2016, 07:43:06 PM

There are multiple accounts of the theft of the first Death Star's plans. The one I remember best involved an agent named Kyle Katarn stealing a set of schematics in the video game Dark Forces.
Others mention Bothan spies and a raid on the planet Toprawa as the source of the plans. The most commonly held belief among fans is that the plans were not stored as one set of data in a single location. Sufficient individual pieces were aquired, but not integrated into a complete blueprint until they were assembled on the Tantive IV.

Quote from: Claireliontamer on April 25, 2016, 05:31:00 PM

I haven't read any of the books. I really should do.
As stated above I highly recommend the X-wing series. I literally read my copies ragged.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_12?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A16272%2Ck%3Ax-wing&keywords=x-wing&ie=UTF8&qid=1461618939&rnid=2941120011

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Crow

Not being invested in any of the prior stuff and basically thought the original was B move material and thinking the series was over hyped shit, I just finished watching the latest movie and even though it is essentially the same as all the Marvel Disney films (i.e. comedy banter with action) I enjoyed it quite a bit and though it was better then the other six movies combined. Sure it still lacked any real story like the originals, dark vs light, no context or reasoning behind why we should even care beyond a bit of nazi imagery but the characters actually had something about them.

Visually it looked like a Star Wars film whilst retaining a modern slant without feeling overly CGI, this is something other producers could learn when making anything relating to Alien. More interested about the upcoming film, the cast alone makes me think they are going to be more ambitious than they have ever been.

Only two thing I didn't enjoy in the film was how the fuck could they survive those temperatures on the surface with no sun and why did John Boyega have an American accent. But the end confirmed it for me Peter Dinklage is Mark Hamill's love child.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on May 01, 2016, 02:55:38 AM
... But the end confirmed it for me Peter Dinklage is Mark Hamill's love child.
:mb lol:

I am soooo going to use that!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Guardian85

-Unknown Smartass-

joeactor

Pasta Chick

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Pasta Chick

Which brings us to the classic crossover joke,

Pasta Chick

The full trailer for Rouge One is out

I'm thrilled with the grittier, amoral look of it... But I'm apprehensive about the actual story line. It just looks sort of confusing and hacked together to introduce some cool characters.