News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Plain cigarette packaging

Started by The Magic Pudding, April 18, 2012, 10:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

QuoteIn 1989, the New Zealand Department of Health's Toxic Substances Board first recommended that cigarettes be sold only in white packs with black text and no colours or logos. [1]

But it was in Canada that a proposal to require plain packaging of tobacco products was first developed in the 1990s. A parliamentary committee reviewed the evidence and concluded that plain packaging could be a "reasonable step in the overall strategy to reduce tobacco consumption". [2]

The committee recommended that legislation be implemented pending the outcome of government-sponsored research on the likely effectiveness of plain packs. However following tobacco industry lobbying and changes in government ministers the proposal was dropped.[3]

Australia will be the first country in the world to require tobacco products to be sold in plain packaging. The new legislation will be implemented throughout the country from December 2012.

QuoteThe federal government has rejected tobacco company claims that its plain packaging laws amount to an acquisition of their brands and logos, saying the legislation is an extension of regulations that have applied for the last 40 years.

Tobacco companies are throwing everything at the legal challenge because they are worried other countries could follow Australia's lead if the government wins.

It doesn't seem like the tobacco companies have much chance of success.  Their representatives have been popping up seeking sympathy for their cause, I have none.

Tank

There is only one argument for not having plain packaging that I have heard that holds any water as far as I can see. That is that plain packaging would facilitate counterfeiting. But that can be countered by requiring the producers to put a serial number and holographic label on the base of the pack. So not really a problem.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Looks to me like cigarette cases will start to make a comeback on the antique markets in Australia. I don't think it will work just like those messages and pictures on the packets don't work, you see them once and go "eww" then never look at it again.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on April 18, 2012, 10:55:32 AM
Looks to me like cigarette cases will start to make a comeback on the antique markets in Australia. I don't think it will work just like those messages and pictures on the packets don't work, you see them once and go "eww" then never look at it again.
Now there's a business opportunity!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Note to self: get more people to start smoking.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Asmodean on April 18, 2012, 12:38:39 PM
Note to self: get more people to start smoking.

You need to set an ultra cool alpine fresh example.

DeterminedJuliet

Hahaha, if what I've seen from advertising works, I think he needs some sexy Asmoettes gathered around him. That should make it look even cooler.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on April 18, 2012, 02:57:03 PM
Hahaha, if what I've seen from advertising works, I think he needs some sexy Asmoettes gathered around him. That should make it look even cooler.

He needs the oh so cool asmopolitan coat held over his shoulder by a couple of fingers on one had while a smoke is held seemingly casually but actually all knowingly in the other.  He has no shoulders, no fingers and what would he do with an Armani jacket anyway?  There's a lot of thinking required here, I'm off to look up paradigm 'cause I think we need a new one.