News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

New

Started by Dark Lightning, October 31, 2016, 09:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

New
Hi. New here, just posting a little info. I am a retired mechanical engineer (trained in physics, with a B Sc. degree and some graduate classes). Reasoned my way out of Roman Catholicism 11 years ago, am a 6 out of 7 on the Dawkins scale of atheism. I enjoy wood working and metal working, particularly copper.

Dave

Welcome, Fireball!  :D
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dark Lightning

xSilverPhinx

Welcome to the forum, Fireball! :wave hi:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Recusant

Quote from: Fireball on October 31, 2016, 09:30:43 PM
Hi. New here, just posting a little info. I am a retired mechanical engineer (trained in physics, with a B Sc. degree and some graduate classes). Reasoned my way out of Roman Catholicism 11 years ago, am a 6 out of 7 on the Dawkins scale of atheism. I enjoy wood working and metal working, particularly copper.

Hello and welcome to HAF, Fireball. So, wood working, eh? Any particular form that you focus on? Lathe work, furniture, cabinetry? 

Anyway, here are some threads that might help you familiarize yourself with this place, as well as giving a chance to talk about yourself, if you feel like it:

Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler

. . . And of course, the Forum Rules.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!  :welcome:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Recusant on October 31, 2016, 11:28:07 PM

Hello and welcome to HAF, Fireball. So, wood working, eh? Any particular form that you focus on? Lathe work, furniture, cabinetry? 

Anyway, here are some threads that might help you familiarize yourself with this place, as well as giving a chance to talk about yourself, if you feel like it:

Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler

. . . And of course, the Forum Rules.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!  :welcome:

Thanks, Recusant! I'll avail myself of those threads a little over time. I read the rules first, before I started posting. Never know when a line will be crossed.  ;)

As for wood working, I carve, turn, have built cabinets and furniture such as nightstands, and small boxes for things like spectacles or to hold tea bags (though I'm primarily a coffee drinker). I built a chest to hold my carving tools. If there is interest, I can post a pic at some point. Also, just finished cutting up the pieces to make an end-grain cutting board. I'm all over the map; no real "niche" to speak of, with wood.

Magdalena

Hello, Fireball, welcome.  :computerwave:
I like your avatar.  :)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dragonia

Hi Fireball, I'm pretty new here too. So  :welcome: !
And I love beautiful things made from copper. It's got such a warm glow about it....
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Magdalena on November 01, 2016, 01:03:20 AM
Hello, Fireball, welcome.  :computerwave:
I like your avatar.  :)

Thanks! It is a pic of a recently discovered clean burning type of fire tornado. Usually they emit lots of black smoke, and are mostly in the red to yellow flame colors.

http://phys.org/news/2016-08-newly-blue-tornado-cleaner-emissions.html

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Dragonia on November 01, 2016, 02:24:57 AM
Hi Fireball, I'm pretty new here too. So  :welcome: !
And I love beautiful things made from copper. It's got such a warm glow about it....

Thanks for the welcome, Dragonia! I'll post some pics, eventually.

Tank

Welcome aboard!

You were stuck under the comfort blanket for a long time. Serious congratulations on getting out eventually though! I think you and Icarus are going to get on very well. He's a veteran mechanical engineer and our oldest member. The most astonishing thing he has ever mentioned is that he watched the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour when he was 11.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Greetings and welcome, Fireball!  You seem like our kind of person, and I'm sure you'll have some fun here.

Arturo

Hi fireball! I'm not an engineer but I will be going to school to be a welder and hopefully a metal fabricator so maybe you and I can talk amongst that one day. Hope to hear from you soon!
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dark Lightning

Thanks, folks!

Tank, I had doubts from an early age (like 10) but went with the program for a long time. I didn't admit to myself until 2005 that I was really an atheist, due to the stigma I had been taught. Once I got in a position where I had time to think it through, I just had to admit that was my state of non-belief. I also found that atheists weren't evil, as I had been told.

OldGit, This looks like a nice place. I'll hang for awhile!

Apathy, welding is an honorable profession. My youngest brother and a couple of my nephews work metal. They are fabricators, working currently working at a studio that makes high-dollar art. They don't make high dollar paychecks, but do pretty well.