News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Heard about the storms in Europe, not having TV have seen no footage.

Scientists are saying 2017 was the warmest recorded non-El Niño year on record. Also that the last 18 yesrs have got increasingly warmer.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/18/2017-was-the-hottest-year-on-record-without-el-nino-boost

Extra heat over the oceans feeds the storms.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Harmonie

Now it's getting warm again with a temperature of 56F. Of course, now moisture is going to build up and we're going to get thunderstorms in a couple of days.  >:(

It's such a flipping joke. Moisture vanishes off of the face of the area when it gets cold and then instantly when the cold goes away there are thunderstorms. I'm ready to move!

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Bluenose

For a bit of variation, some recent antipodean weather (at my place):  Wed 33°C (91°F), Thu 38°C (100°F), yesterday 41C (106°F), today 38°C (100°F)  Forecast mid to high 20s for most of the upcoming week then back over 40° by Friday.

For the record, you guys can keep your freezing cold weather, snow and ice, I'll just stay inside with the cooling on having a nice cold gin and tonic!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Guardian85

Temperature has dropped to -21c here. That's a bit too chilly for my tastes.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Bluenose

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 20, 2018, 11:57:50 AM

I'm not sure my deep freezer gets that cold!  Brrrr!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Bluenose on January 21, 2018, 10:50:47 AM
Quote from: Guardian85 on January 20, 2018, 11:57:50 AM

I'm not sure my deep freezer gets that cold!  Brrrr!
It probably doesn't.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

It's raining. Big fat rain drops sploshing all over the place.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Snow. But not enough to do anything useful with!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on January 21, 2018, 05:07:02 PM
Snow. But not enough to do anything useful with!

Not even an army of snow ants?

:grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Guardian85

Something strange happened today. This most peculiar glowing orb appeared briefly between two mountains in the distance. Was kind of nice, actually.

Strange....it's almost like I've seen it somewhere before.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Dave

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 29, 2018, 08:10:29 PM
Something strange happened today. This most peculiar glowing orb appeared briefly between two mountains in the distance. Was kind of nice, actually.

"Long, long ago in a place far awsy . . ."
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 29, 2018, 08:10:29 PM

A parhelion ("sun dog"), perhaps??

Buddy

So my little corner of Northern Indiana got hit by a storm that dumped a fair bit of snow on us in the last 24 hours. It is amazing how many people have suddenly forgotten how to drive. We have these big ass 4WD SUVs sliding off the road and skidding through intersections. That or putting around at 10 miles an hour on a straight, plowed road.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Guardian85

Quote from: Buddy on February 10, 2018, 03:26:42 AM
So my little corner of Northern Indiana got hit by a storm that dumped a fair bit of snow on us in the last 24 hours. It is amazing how many people have suddenly forgotten how to drive. We have these big ass 4WD SUVs sliding off the road and skidding through intersections. That or putting around at 10 miles an hour on a straight, plowed road.
Always fun for us Scandinavians to watch, though....  :popcorn:

-Unknown Smartass-