News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

The weather was kinder today: cloudy sky, looked like it was going to rain all day, refreshing wind (not breeze, wind) and best of all, the heat was bearable.

There must have been a lot of people praying these past few days.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

So we get snow, and then we get more snow, and we shovel, and salt, and shovel and salt some more. My sidewalk and driveway are clean, as is the back patio and the path I made to the back of the garage where I keep my trash cans. I even shovel around my grill because I use it all year.

All of the streets and roadways are cleaned up and life is back to normal.

The snow was piled high, and it looked pretty spread out across the neighborhood lawns and along the riverbank near my house. I took a long walk with the dog in the woods, and we stopped to admire the snow piled up on the logs in the river, and how the ice dams form near the bends.

But as always happens here the weather can't make up it's mind, and now the temperature has shot back up into the 40's so all of the snow is melting, and it's getting muddy and ugly....This is the thing I wish was different, I wish winter would stay winter as it's supposed to...with the snow piling up, and the temperature hovering around the mid 20's, maybe up around 30 during the day. Cold, but dry with a nice little bite to the air...but this mild winter bullshit is so depressing, it's been so warm the last couple days that the snow is rapidly melting.

Not sure who's in charge of this stuff, but they aren't doing a good job, not at all. :sadwave:
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Harmonie

To hear 40s considered as mild weather. I suppose Global Warming is just only now beginning to hit Michigan. Meanwhile it has become so prevalent down here that highs in the 60s/70s are just standard winter weather to us now. The meteorologists always acted surprised and call it "Spring fever", but even I see their surprise dwindling as the years pass by, recognizing that it's becoming the norm (and to call it "Spring fever" when that's actually winter weather and Spring is just hot and humid hurts me).

Of course the snow for Christmas Eve that I mentioned in my last post here is now no longer there, in fact there's now a 0% chance of precipitation. That's what always happens. We are still sitting at no snow, which is even worse than last year, where we had a couple of dustings. The pattern looks chilly and active starting in a couple of days, but they keep flip flopping and taking all chances of winter precipitation out. I'm led to believe none of it's going to happen.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Magdalena

It is 46°F--7.78°C.

No snow, but I am freezing! 

I don't like the cold.  >:(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

It looked like it was going to rain all day today but not a drop, nada. I feel like the weather god is trolling us.  >:(

Either that or somebody isn't doing the rain dance properly.

Sandra Craft

I think your rain might have come to LA.  It hasn't started yet, but it sure looks and feels like it's going to.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 21, 2017, 12:49:21 AM
I think your rain might have come to LA.  It hasn't started yet, but it sure looks and feels like it's going to.

First it's the brain drain and now the rain dancers as well. :sad sigh:

Harmonie

It got up to 70 degrees today. Yes, on the first day of "Winter". >.>

Everyone is so concerned with taking the "Christ" out of Christmas, but no one cares when the "Winter" is taken out of the Winter Solstice.

Yes, I posted here only so I could make that horrible joke somewhere.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Harmonie on December 21, 2017, 11:53:50 PM

Everyone is so concerned with taking the "Christ" out of Christmas, but no one cares when the "Winter" is taken out of the Winter Solstice.

:snicker:  And I appreciated it.

And honestly, the only ones taking the Christ out of Christmas are Xtians, when they run around mixing up Xmas and Yule.  Their god will get them for it, participating in Pagan festivities -- like decorating trees -- is specifically forbidden in the bible.
Sandy

Harmonie

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 22, 2017, 12:45:19 AM
Quote from: Harmonie on December 21, 2017, 11:53:50 PM

:snicker:  And I appreciated it.

And honestly, the only ones taking the Christ out of Christmas are Xtians, when they run around mixing up Xmas and Yule.  Their god will get them for it, participating in Pagan festivities -- like decorating trees -- is specifically forbidden in the bible.

But everyone knows that verse about decorating trees is allegorical.

:snicker:

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Harmonie on December 22, 2017, 01:09:32 AM
But everyone knows that verse about decorating trees is allegorical.

:snicker:

Either that, or it's been "fulfilled" by something Jesus was said to have said.  Oh dear, and I was trying not to pick on Xtians this month.  :poke:
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

I hate this weather with a passion. My house is a sauna.

I need to lie on the granite floor with my arms and legs outstretched.  :desert:

Either that or lie in a tub full of ice.

Guardian85

Depending on where you are in the village right now the temperature varies from -17 to -32 celsius at the moment.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Guardian85 on December 27, 2017, 08:32:07 PM
Depending on where you are in the village right now the temperature varies from -17 to -32 celsius at the moment.

About the same here in Detroit...been cold all week, plus we got more snow!

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."