News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

One Year Birthday - Celebrating...Ceremony?

Started by TheOGMamaBear, November 10, 2010, 12:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOGMamaBear

I came from a very catholic family. I allowed my first child to be baptised because I hadn't told my parents that I was an atheist and was afraid.

Now the cat is out of the bag and I have two beautiful daughters, one of which is about to turn 1. I never got to have a celebration honoring her like baptism did my first. I'd like to have some sort of quick ceremony type thing welcoming her to toddlerhood. Any ideas?

A friend of mine did a Buddhist tradition where a child picks from a tray of items, but I cannot find any info on it. Any ideas on that or other things I could do?
"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."

Don't we all love Mark Twain?

Asmodean

Quote from: "TheOGMamaBear"I came from a very catholic family. I allowed my first child to be baptised because I hadn't told my parents that I was an atheist and was afraid.

Now the cat is out of the bag and I have two beautiful daughters, one of which is about to turn 1. I never got to have a celebration honoring her like baptism did my first. I'd like to have some sort of quick ceremony type thing welcoming her to toddlerhood. Any ideas?

A friend of mine did a Buddhist tradition where a child picks from a tray of items, but I cannot find any info on it. Any ideas on that or other things I could do?
I believe in my parts they practice some sort of a naming ceremony which does not involve churches, gods or holy fluids... May be different in your country, but here, something called the humane-ethical society is said to arrange the like.

It's only hearsay though as I have never been to such an event nor has one ever been performed on my account.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

legs laney

I have four children and feel like i am kind of playing it by ear with them (don't feel like my parents gave me very good parenting tools, try to read and ask questions as much as i can, but as time goes by natural instincts kick in and we're all doing awesome)

----was just wondering... why do you want someone else's ideas on a meaningful tradition/ceremony for your family?  why not invent your own? (every ceremony started from someone)...  then your other daughter can also take part in it... you know your family better than anyone else and there is nothing more special than something mommy designed out of true love.  

I've seen families use a "special" dinner plate for birthdays and special events for the person being honored in their family (then it is a meaningful present to buy for your daughter's new family when she marries off  ;) ).  the first saturday in every month is a "mikey" day for my oldest child, who does a lot to help out with the little ones.  when the little ones get bigger i also plan to have a scheduled day in each month for one on one time with the others as well (that way they truly feel especially loved and appreciated)... maybe one of these ideas could be incorporated into your special ritual?
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."
- Autobio

Whitney

I think it is really cute when parents buy a cake for the baby and take pictures of baby making a mess.  Maybe not a sophisticated tradition but still fun.

Thumpalumpacus

With my son we just had a big barbecue in the park with a bunch of family and a good time.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

MrsV

We had a family party (including our friends who are aunt and uncle, in place of godparents - we jokingly called them reponsible adults as it made us laugh). My Dad did dutys as master of ceremonies and made a speach welcoming our daughter to the family. As a gift we all got old silver sixpences (because they have an oak tree on them and my Dad wanted them to symbolise the knowledge and growth that our daughter would give us and we as a family would give to her.

It was a really nice moment - i'm not too sure my in laws enjoyed it as they are Christians and I know they think she should be christened - but we've made it clear all along that would never happen.

DJAkuma

The great thing about not being constrained to religious traditions is being able to come up with your own way.

Willow

We have never had any kind of naming ceremony or similar for our boys.  We have birthday parties or outings, but even these don't mean anything to the child until probably their third birthday.  Any supposedly significant event for someone under 2 is just another day for them, maybe sometimes a two-year old will recognise the fuss at Christmas, but first birthdays are about the parents not the child.
So you might want to have a do, but celebrate that you have been parenting sucessfully for a year.  The lack of sleep hasn't killed you and you have learned to be tollerant of your dear child puking on you.
I don't understand the need for any such ceremony.  It won't make her any different.