News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

US White Evangelical Christians: Fears & Prejudices

Started by Recusant, December 27, 2019, 04:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

According to the chart, we've had 100 years of everyone being eligible to vote (about the same in the US), and the result is Trump and Johnson.  I would like to believe, as MLK said, that the arc of history bends toward justice, but there are just too many places where it's bending the other way.  But, here's hoping. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Inertialmass on January 02, 2020, 06:35:07 AM
No offence intended but more surprising to me than reading the survey results is reading how pessimistic some of the responses right here seem to be. 

Cheer up.  There's bound to be statistical setbacks and actual temporary reversals in the otherwise very real long-term trend humanity is experiencing in the move toward economic and social egalitarianism and away from the tyranny of the tough guy.  Remember that a thousand years ago, when Christerdom really ruled all, almost all of our own ancestors would have been bogged down in a life of abject Feudal poverty, disease, near zero personal liberty, living in a tiny hovel of decaying chinked tree limbs, taking in the hay by hand and shoveling shit out of His Lordship's Manor stables.  And dying miserably at ~age thirty after a crappy lifetime of total service to His Feudal Master.  I hope I'm no silly Panglossian, mindlessly singing "All's for the best in this the best of all possible worlds!" but I do perceive an absolute long term positive progressive trend.  It may be that people's anatomy and physiology aren't changing but our nurturing social environments sure have changed -- for the better.  One small but dramatic example:

Valid points, but I feel like we should be more 'evolved' by now.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Not to derail the thread but I did not see an appropriate place for this important announcement.  January 25th is the official Chinese new year.  It is the year of the rat.  Please be kind to your rodents this year.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dark Lightning

Icarus

^ I do not put much confidence in biblical predictions......but this one has become frighteningly near the truth.

Randy

I remember when I was a xtian. The devil and his demons were out in force and Christians were being persecuted. The end times was here and it wouldn't be long and we'd be fighting alongside Jesus any day now. It's been forty years plus and the same message gets preached. We had to save as many as we could and to be wary of the evils hiding in the bushes.

I wish he'd hurry up. I'm getting tired of waiting although I don't think any of us will be around then, nor our grandchildren, nor our great-grandchildren, etc. I don't want to fight, I just want to watch it on TV.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tank

Quote from: Randy on June 01, 2020, 08:31:36 PM
I remember when I was a xtian. The devil and his demons were out in force and Christians were being persecuted. The end times was here and it wouldn't be long and we'd be fighting alongside Jesus any day now. It's been forty years plus and the same message gets preached. We had to save as many as we could and to be wary of the evils hiding in the bushes.

I wish he'd hurry up. I'm getting tired of waiting although I don't think any of us will be around then, nor our grandchildren, nor our great-grandchildren, etc. I don't want to fight, I just want to watch it on TV.

I think we are :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.