News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Bishops must stay in the Lords, MPs and peers say

Started by Tank, March 28, 2012, 11:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Bishops must stay in the Lords, MPs and peers say

It's not all bad news though.

QuoteA committee of MPs and peers has decided that bishops should remain members of a reformed House of Lords.

The recommendation is almost certain to be accepted by the government, which is due to publish its plans for a largely elected second chamber in May.

The Joint Committee on House of Lord Reform says, however, that the number of bishops in the Lords should be reduced from 26 to 12.

A step in the right direction.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Still too many.  Not that they're a big problem, but they keep on interfering in issues such as abortion, stem-cell research, assisted dying.  They'll still interfere from outside the Lords, but probably to less effect.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: OldGit on March 28, 2012, 11:42:16 AM
Still too many.  Not that they're a big problem, but they keep on interfering in issues such as abortion, stem-cell research, assisted dying.  They'll still interfere from outside the Lords, but probably to less effect.
I totally agree. If they want to be in a reformed second house, let them stand for election.

Crow

Another thing that I see good about this proposal - even though the primary reason I voted Lib Dem in the first place was to get rid of the "lords spiritual" - is that they aren't replacing the C of E Bishops with leaders from other faiths.
Retired member.

reddevil0126

very interesting.  i never heard about the house of Lords.  well, what do I know about UK's political system, anyways?  can anyone add a little more background on it, like what they do and history etc?  thanks.

Tank

Quote from: reddevil0126 on March 28, 2012, 04:08:57 PM
very interesting.  i never heard about the house of Lords.  well, what do I know about UK's political system, anyways?  can anyone add a little more background on it, like what they do and history etc?  thanks.

Here is the official version http://www.parliament.uk/business/lords/
Here is the Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Lords

This is what it looks like when the Queen shows up!

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Crow on March 28, 2012, 10:50:27 PM
And this is how they act.

That's hilarious. And I see that there are many more of those sketches to watch ;D

(I wasn't familiar with them before...)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on March 28, 2012, 09:59:31 PM
Quote from: reddevil0126 on March 28, 2012, 04:08:57 PM

Here is the official version http://www.parliament.uk/business/lords/
Here is the Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Lords

This is what it looks like when the Queen shows up!

I thought it was a room of santas super quick xD!
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.