Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Duke of Bullshit: "The" Donald

Started by Recusant, November 11, 2015, 11:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: Tom62 on June 05, 2016, 07:31:33 PM
Video: "Why Trump Will SMASH Hillary"

That jackass is just trying to use Trump to promote his own little bullshit enterprise, selling his tricks that supposedly improve people's charisma. He seems oblivious to the fact that Trump's "charisma" is seen by many people as repulsiveness.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Crow

Quote from: Recusant on June 05, 2016, 09:57:53 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on June 05, 2016, 07:31:33 PM
Video: "Why Trump Will SMASH Hillary"

That jackass is just trying to use Trump to promote his own little bullshit enterprise, selling his tricks that supposedly improve people's charisma. He seems oblivious to the fact that Trump's "charisma" is seen by many people as repulsiveness.

I think he is correct. Politics is a numbers game, opinions now matter little as they are fickle things and we have seen many times how those that have been vilified quickly turn to be heroes and vice versa. I personally said ages ago if it is Trump vs Hillary then Trump will win, Bernie vs Trump then it would have been an open field. It isn't even really Trump that will win it, it is his handlers using marketing and advertising tactics and playing from the crowd. Hillary is already in a defensive position and the thing hasn't even got started yet, Trump has more middle ground to work on but Hilary has to win her own as well as the centre and she has the charisma of a potato, people may despise Trump but he will make them react even if it is laughing at him or throwing something at the tv, people are spending more time and focus on him and that is exactly what he wants and what his campaign wants.
Retired member.

Icarus

The Donald has crapped in his mess kit once again. He dissed a federal judge who has a Mexican heritage. The shit has hit the fan as influential members of the GOP chastise him for such a politically stupid pronouncement.  I have confidence that the consummate huckster will somehow cover his ass for the ill advised accusation of judicial prejudice. Meanwhile the great unwashed will probably agree that Donald can not get a fair trial from a 'wetback" judge.  They'll vote for him come hell or high water.

Recusant

David Dunning, half of the eponymous Dunning-Kruger team, has weighed in on a particular aspect of Trump's appeal: "The Psychological Quirk That Explains Why You Love Donald Trump" | Politico

QuoteMany commentators have argued that Donald Trump's dominance in the GOP presidential race can be largely explained by ignorance; his candidacy, after all, is most popular among Republican voters without college degrees. Their expertise about current affairs is too fractured and full of holes to spot that only 9 percent of Trump's statements are "true" or "mostly" true, according to PolitiFact, whereas 57 percent are "false" or "mostly false"—the remainder being "pants on fire" untruths. Trump himself has memorably declared: "I love the poorly educated."

But as a psychologist who has studied human behavior—including voter behavior—for decades, I think there is something deeper going on. The problem isn't that voters are too uninformed. It is that they don't know just how uninformed they are.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

The article should give us cause to examine our own presumed sets of information. I am confident that HAFers are a cut above and that they can have the humility and good sense to examine their own beliefs based on whatever information they previously assumed that they have.

As for the masses, I have no such confidence. Rather, I fear that P.T. Barnum and H.L. Mencken were correct in their assessments of  the great American public.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on June 12, 2016, 12:36:23 AM
David Dunning, half of the eponymous Dunning-Kruger team, has weighed in on a particular aspect of Trump's appeal: "The Psychological Quirk That Explains Why You Love Donald Trump" | Politico

QuoteMany commentators have argued that Donald Trump's dominance in the GOP presidential race can be largely explained by ignorance; his candidacy, after all, is most popular among Republican voters without college degrees. Their expertise about current affairs is too fractured and full of holes to spot that only 9 percent of Trump's statements are "true" or "mostly" true, according to PolitiFact, whereas 57 percent are "false" or "mostly false"—the remainder being "pants on fire" untruths. Trump himself has memorably declared: "I love the poorly educated."

But as a psychologist who has studied human behavior—including voter behavior—for decades, I think there is something deeper going on. The problem isn't that voters are too uninformed. It is that they don't know just how uninformed they are.

[Continues . . .]

The Effect strikes again. Very interesting.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

— H. L. Mencken

Davin

Well, it's nice to finally have a coherent understanding of his foreign policies.

;D
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 16, 2016, 11:14:55 PM
Quote from: Recusant on June 16, 2016, 04:51:12 PM

I want whatever the creators of that had.
Aw, I thought it was hilarious. I like Mike Diva, this is one of my favorites from him:

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

An interesting hit-piece on Donald Trump's connections to Russia: Putin's Puppet | Slate

QuoteVladimir Putin has a plan for destroying the West—and that plan looks a lot like Donald Trump. Over the past decade, Russia has boosted right-wing populists across Europe. It loaned money to Marine Le Pen in France, well-documented transfusions of cash to keep her presidential campaign alive. Such largesse also wended its way to the former Italian premier Silvio Berlusconi, who profited "personally and handsomely" from Russian energy deals, as an American ambassador to Rome once put it. (Berlusconi also shared a 240-year-old bottle of Crimean wine with Putin and apparently makes ample use of a bed gifted to him by the Russian president.)

There's a clear pattern: Putin runs stealth efforts on behalf of politicians who rail against the European Union and want to push away from NATO. He's been a patron of Golden Dawn in Greece, Ataka in Bulgaria, and Jobbik in Hungary. Joe Biden warned about this effort last year in a speech at the Brookings Institution: "President Putin sees such political forces as useful tools to be manipulated, to create cracks in the European body politic which he can then exploit." Ruptures that will likely multiply after Brexit—a campaign Russia's many propaganda organs bombastically promoted.

The destruction of Europe is a grandiose objective; so is the weakening of the United States. Until recently, Putin has only focused glancing attention on American elections. Then along came the presumptive Republican nominee.

[Continues . . .]
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Trump would be a laughing stock - were it not for Hillary.  She keeps giving him fodder.  Geez, I hope he doesn't win, but the only reason he's still in the game is because Hillary keeps proving she can't be trusted.  Our only hope is the Electoral College.  I still don't think Trump can reach 270, but dammit, Hillary, show us something!!!

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 06, 2016, 04:36:54 AM
Trump would be a laughing stock - were it not for Hillary.  She keeps giving him fodder.  Geez, I hope he doesn't win, but the only reason he's still in the game is because Hillary keeps proving she can't be trusted.  Our only hope is the Electoral College.  I still don't think Trump can reach 270, but dammit, Hillary, show us something!!!
If Trump does not get the Republican nomination who would be in the running for it?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.