News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Re: Happy Easter fellow Atheists!

Started by el_presidente, April 08, 2012, 05:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SweetLaura286

Happy Easter fellow Atheists!!!! Here's hoping the bunny brought you something special!!

DeterminedJuliet

About 4000 calories worth of chocolate  ;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

SweetLaura286

:D My husband asked me if I'll still love him when he's fat, after today LOL

Tank

In the UK there are a couple of days when all the shops are shut. Christmas day and Easter Sunday. WTF! I took the dogs on their usual walk and it was heaving! It's never been so busy!!! I didn't know that many people lived in Leeds! I normally get to sit, have a cigar and watch the world go by in relative peace and quiet but today everybody and their brother was chatting and patting the dogs. It was sort of nice but the dogs were getting punch drunk towards the end.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Totally gonna   head out to get chocolate, just because. Muhahaha
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

el_presidente

Why thank you.  I went to  church to placate the fiancé's family.  "Look to the indistinct past for a bright future" is a great way to ignore the present in terms of reality and personal responsibility.

I wish I still had the weekly flyer/program, but it said [almost?] verbatim "My sheep can hear me - Jesus." 

At any rate, I'd say use the day like you might use any - reflect and do good for your self and you fellow man, and feel the joy of doing the right thing without being blackmailed to do it. 
Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.  God won't do it, so we must do it ourselves.

SweetLaura286

Glad you're having a good- although unexpected day, Tank!

el presidente- I like what you just said about helping others without feeling black mailed

Sweetdeath- YES CANDY!!!!

Sooooo on another note, I may have just made an enemy out of someone I consider a friend.

He posted on Facebook...

"Talking about excuses at church... my pastor just brought up how drowning kittens is not an excuse to miss out on "the greatest banquet of all." My pastor is special and it makes it a lot easier to get up early on my day off of work."

I HAD to comment.

"..... is he trying to say that if kittens are downing you should still be at church? Instead of saving them? I'm sorry.... Am I missing something?"

AM I missing something??? is that REALLY what that pastor was trying to say?????????????

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: SweetLaura286 on April 08, 2012, 05:22:03 PM
"Talking about excuses at church... my pastor just brought up how drowning kittens is not an excuse to miss out on "the greatest banquet of all." My pastor is special and it makes it a lot easier to get up early on my day off of work."

I HAD to comment.

"..... is he trying to say that if kittens are downing you should still be at church? Instead of saving them? I'm sorry.... Am I missing something?"

AM I missing something??? is that REALLY what that pastor was trying to say?????????????

Sounds a bit odd.
It doesn't take long to drown a kitten so it shouldn't make you late for church.
I don't think cats are traditionally represented as drowning creatures in need of rescue.
The act of drowning cats may be considered distasteful by some.  It makes most sense to me as a metaphor for unpleasant things you have to do in life.  Doing these things needn't keep you from god and all that guff.  It would tie in with that dubious forgiveness thing.

ThinkAnarchy

The bunny left me snicker flavored popcorn. I can't complain about that. Here's to celebrating over 2,000 years of the earth being zombie free.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

xSilverPhinx

I'm beginning to question the existence of the Easter Bunny. :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

el_presidente

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 09, 2012, 03:23:16 AM
The bunny left me snicker flavored popcorn. I can't complain about that. Here's to celebrating over 2,000 years of the earth being zombie free.

;D

I got starburst jelly beans.  Life is good.

Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.  God won't do it, so we must do it ourselves.

Ali

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on April 09, 2012, 01:46:06 AM
Quote from: SweetLaura286 on April 08, 2012, 05:22:03 PM

I HAD to comment.

Sounds a bit odd.
It doesn't take long to drown a kitten so it shouldn't make you late for church.

I like you so much.  You always make me laugh. 

Laura, not sure about the "drowning kitten" metaphor (it was a metaphor, right?)

Beachdragon

I have got to post more often.  Bad dragon, bad dragon. 

Anyway, my husband usually keeps a very substantial supply of chocolate around, so the Bunny didn't need to visit.  But I did make a ham.  :)  It was delicious!  Had a good Easter weekend.  No religion included! 

I'm a glutton, so to speak, for watching all those history channel documentaries on the life of Christ and life in Isreal at that time.  (Partly because I'm such a Roman fanatic that I can't resist.  I've been calling Good Friday Roman Day for the last couple of years.)  It's the historian in me.  I don't watch them for conversion, I like to learn about that period.  Funny enough, the more I watch them, the less I believe, LOL.  It has the opposite affect on me!  Usually at some point I either say to the television or think to myself "That's Absurd!"  LOL

Yodas_Apprentice

Any Holiday excuse to eat chocolate is fine by me ;)
"I'm a madman with a box without a box!!" -Eleventh Doctor, "The Doctor's Wife"

lebrecht52

Quote from: Yodas_Apprentice on April 10, 2012, 10:22:48 PM
Any Holiday excuse to eat chocolate is fine by me ;)

You forgot "Happy Passover"
Lots of good foods to eat with that.
Anne