News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

The Atheist Agenda

Started by Earthling, October 29, 2011, 02:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

This forum has a mission statement, which I think, does a good job of describing why most of us are here.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Whitney

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on October 29, 2011, 03:24:41 PM
This forum has a mission statement, which I think, does a good job of describing why most of us are here.

ya, I'm not sure how many people see it since it's not well indexed anymore:

http://www.happyatheistforum.com/

Will

What's the point in not believing in unicorns?
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Asmodean

Quote from: Will on October 30, 2011, 02:53:27 AM
What's the point in not believing in unicorns?
Going to aunicornist hell. Because smoking is allowed there  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MathKat

Quote from: Earthling on October 29, 2011, 02:44:14 AM
Rather than impose anything more than my dubious title suggests I would like to know what the point of a forum like this is? A refuge from insanity? A social and political haven? An island of the rational in a rolling sea of stupidity and superstition? A place to mock and belittle other's beliefs? A lyceum for rational thought and scientific advancement?

What is the point in even being atheist?

Being an atheist really only means one thing, lack of beliefe in a diety.  I think most atheists tend to be liberals (not all) and I think that's probably more because of the fact that most conservative views are imposed by religion and on close examination aren't very logical in nature.  Sorry if that sounds biased and I have no problem being corrected on this if you feel I'm wrong.

Heisenberg

I think everyone adequately answered your silly 'what is the point of being an atheist' question.

Now as to why I come to this forum, it's great to feel like you aren't surrounded by idiots every now and again.
"No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low"-John Lennon

Attila

Quote from: Heisenberg on November 01, 2011, 12:01:43 PM
I think everyone adequately answered your silly 'what is the point of being an atheist' question.

Now as to why I come to this forum, it's great to feel like you aren't surrounded by idiots every now and again.
What is the point of being an atheist? Think of the alternative.

Heisenberg

It's like asking what's the point of being black. Asking if there's a point is assuming it's a choice. It's not. If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times.

Xjeepguy

Quote from: Heisenberg on November 01, 2011, 12:57:33 PM
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times.

I like that quote. It's sig-worthy. Mind if I borrow it?
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Quote from: Xjeepguy on November 01, 2011, 01:00:46 PM
Quote from: Heisenberg on November 01, 2011, 12:57:33 PM
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times.

I like that quote. It's sig-worthy. Mind if I borrow it?
Go for it. It's a line I've used when people have implied that I stumbled upon atheism or something to that effect. Shockingly, it doesn't do much to sway them.

Attila

Quote from: Heisenberg on November 02, 2011, 12:04:27 AM
Go for it. It's a line I've used when people have implied that I stumbled upon atheism or something to that effect. Shockingly, it doesn't do much to sway them.
Not "shockingly", HSB, predictably. You cannot dialogue with people who wish to believe something for which there is no evidence. The whole point of "faith" as opposed to "reason" is that you never have to change you mind.

Stevil

What's the point in not having an imaginary friend?

Heisenberg

Quote from: Attila on November 02, 2011, 04:22:23 AM
Quote from: Heisenberg on November 02, 2011, 12:04:27 AM
Not "shockingly", HSB, predictably. You cannot dialogue with people who wish to believe something for which there is no evidence. The whole point of "faith" as opposed to "reason" is that you never have to change you mind.
Yea, I gotta stop using sarcasm on the internet.

Faith just might be the most absurd creation of mankind.

Tristan Jay

I have to say, from where I stand, I don't think atheists need to justify their beliefs, frankly.  Just so you understand, I am not an atheist (yet, don't know if/when that'll happen), but I find comfort in people who ask questions from a skeptical standpoint.  I haven't discussed the recent traumatic circumstances going on in my life lately, but I was disappointed when I tried to discuss my issues on a christian forum.  No one answered, except for some nutbar with his own problems, and pretensions of being the voice of the spirit of God.  I tried a Deist forum, and was disappointed by the severe lack of activity there in general.  The atheist members of this forum don't need me to stand up for and defend them; nevertheless I will stand up anyway, and say how grateful I am for this place, because I can talk about my issues, and God is out of the equation.  Because all that awakens in my mind when God and religion come up is burning rage!

Quote from: Xjeepguy on October 29, 2011, 11:38:22 AM...the problem with theism, they all think they need to convert me to their way of thinking instead of just leaving me alone.

I hope you'll pardon me for singling out this part of your post Xjeepguy.  Here's the thing, I am forced to fight through my issues with a lot of human support withdrawn.  I'm isolated.  I already disliked God (or the idea of God) for a long time, and even when I called myself a christian, I still had a lot of trouble with the behavior that is described in the Bible.  Now, where I'm at, being forced to fight desperately to survive, with no feeling of support, and no trust in God, and being asked to trust in him...well, I have no trust.  It's a pretty simple thing that God should understand from having observed humans for thousands of years; if a trust that is given is squandered, that trust is withdrawn.  God is supposed to know everything about me, therefore he should have known my personal threshold for when I would need to withdraw my trust to protect myself.  He either doesn't exist, or is a jerk, or is like a harmfully negligent manager/supervisor.  As hard as I've been struggling to survive, it would be like poison for me to accept someone suggesting that I trust him again (when he's too unreliable to be trusted) and to give Him any credit for having a role in making sure I survive, when I did all the work.

My point is, after all that's happened to me, I want to be left alone by such as Him.  And I want to be left alone by his followers, too, since they're more preoccupied with winning converts, and practicing their "Witnessing" narrative and rhetoric rather than listening to what's going on.  Getting away from Him, the idea of Him, and his followers is good for my health!  I've got better things to do in this life, on this planet.  I don't want to hate him, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want Him to f*** off so that I'm not wasting energy in hating him.

I'm not sure where I was going with this.  I got lost again in my own monologue/rant.  But this place is somewhere that I can communicate, and not be judged or persuaded, or "converted".  That's validation enough for atheism and a forum for atheists; it's also fairly damning of the "God Agenda."  I might as well ask what the point of the "God Agenda" is.

Tank

Tristan, that was a wonderful post.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.